BetaONE will rise again!

Old 26th Nov 04, 08:39 PM
BetaONE Supporter

AnneJay is an unknown quantity at this point
P2P interfering w/ DSL - anyone had this problem?
About three weeks ago I was having trouble with my connection. Every ten minutes or so (the times varied) it would just die. It didn't matter what OS I used (OS X or Windows) so that was ruled out (even though the guys at Telus (ISP) seemed to think that Windows was the culprit - for once it wasn't).

I had just upgraded my DSL to a faster speed so went back to the old one and it still happened. My wireless D Link router was fairly new but the non-wireless router had also been disconnecting. Finally decided to phone D Link to see if they had any ideas.

Well to make a long story short it seems that the newer versions of E-Mule (some of you surely use it) have a new service called KAD. Well KAD it seems interferes with the router and the connection goes bye, bye.

Just thought I'd mention it. Any ideas why this might be?

Anne
Old 26th Nov 04, 09:30 PM
BetaONE Supporter

war59312 has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to war59312 Send a message via AIM to war59312 Send a message via MSN to war59312 Send a message via Yahoo to war59312
It appears to be just bugy as hell. BTW just so you know its Still in Alpha stage of testing.

Taken directly from:

http://www.emule-project.net/home/perl/general.cgi?l=1
Counter started: April 2, 2003

Download: http://war59312.admuncher.com/download.shtml
Old 26th Nov 04, 11:16 PM
Chopped Liver

tubebuoy is on a distinguished road
Have you installed SP 2? I'm about to format and go back to SP1. SP 2's security "improvements" have gone from annoying to damn near crippling. I used to be able to let WimMX run for days. Now I'm lucky if it runs for 6 hours (this is on my cable ISP).

Don't expect a fix from MS for P2P apps as they have a vested interest killing these apps.

}---
Old 26th Nov 04, 11:37 PM
BetaONE Supporter

AnneJay is an unknown quantity at this point
@war59312Thanks for the link. Must keep in mind P2Ps are always changing.

@Tubeboy
Yes I've been SP2d but haven't experienced the problems you have; obviously WinMX and SP2 don't get along for some reason. Hope you have better luck with SP1.
Old 27th Nov 04, 02:15 AM
M.I.A.

Sony will become famous soon enoughSony will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to Sony Send a message via MSN to Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneJay
About three weeks ago I was having trouble with my connection. Every ten minutes or so (the times varied) it would just die. It didn't matter what OS I used (OS X or Windows) so that was ruled out (even though the guys at Telus (ISP) seemed to think that Windows was the culprit - for once it wasn't).

I had just upgraded my DSL to a faster speed so went back to the old one and it still happened. My wireless D Link router was fairly new but the non-wireless router had also been disconnecting. Finally decided to phone D Link to see if they had any ideas.

Well to make a long story short it seems that the newer versions of E-Mule (some of you surely use it) have a new service called KAD. Well KAD it seems interferes with the router and the connection goes bye, bye.

Just thought I'd mention it. Any ideas why this might be?

Anne
Hi annejay,
Kad indeed is very harsh on some router because of the UDP request
some router can't handle so many request and will lock/crash/disconnect

I have a linksys wrt54g router and never had a problem with emule (my fav p2p btw)
You should download one of the many great emule mod out there like LSD and simply don't use kad and you will be fine.

a few router company are releasing firmware upgrade to address the udp problem with some p2p fikeshring programs,

you might want to have a look at that to see if help.
or if you don't want to take advantage of the kad network you can set your firewall and router to block the udp on the kad port.

hope it make sense because i just woken up and i'm still half asleep

Sony
Old 27th Nov 04, 06:34 AM
eh!!

Cyberion is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Cyberion Send a message via Yahoo to Cyberion
when I use emule in the library, I see that UDP doesn't work within the wireless structure.. I have to disable UDP, and pray that the thing connects.. usually does the second time around.
Old 27th Nov 04, 06:05 PM
Administrator

DoG will become famous soon enoughDoG will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to DoG Send a message via MSN to DoG Send a message via Yahoo to DoG
I had the same type of problem with a D-Link router using any P2P program, after 10 mins the box froze and the connection died. I think i ended up putting the PC in the DMZ to overcome the problem. I eventually realised that this was a dumb idea so i took the router back and said it had an intermitent fault, they didn't even check the router out- just gave me my money back I ended up buying a USRobotics Sure Connect and all the problems went away