BetaONE will rise again!

Old 26th Feb 05, 02:30 PM

NewsBot will become famous soon enough
XBOX Power Cords Not Making A Difference?
Xbox power cords just being shipped to cover the butts of Microsoft? I have found some information that might be interesting...

Browsing the net on my usual Saturday morning, looking for something interesting to read, a game to try or the latest software patch, I found myself at Xbox-Scene. Sifting through the articles I found myself in the forums reading about the Xbox Power Cable Recall, which I recently posted a story on.

It seems (this might not be true), that the power cords are not the problem, or cause of fire, burns, or destruction of property. It seems that any Xbox with a Foxlink power supply are to blame. Newer Xbox consoles have a different power supply, and thats why the owners of the newer consoles are recieving the same power cord they already have. There is nothing wrong with the cord itself.

The newer cords for the consoles with the Foxlink power supply are different... "So, instead of taking the costly duty of recalling all older xboxes, what do they do? They give you a power cord with this huge GFI thing. This in no way will solve the problem, it is merely a bandaid. So, when your PSU sparks and shorts out, it just trips a switch instead of catching fire, but your xbox still doesn't work."

News source: ieXbeta
Full story: View Here
Old 26th Feb 05, 04:02 PM

KingCobra is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KingCobra
Created a redirect for this in the Console Gaming section.
Old 26th Feb 05, 10:16 PM
BetaONE Supporter

war59312 has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to war59312 Send a message via AIM to war59312 Send a message via MSN to war59312 Send a message via Yahoo to war59312
Well mines been fine for two years so hopefuly its all good.

Though my power cord should be here by monday.
Counter started: April 2, 2003

Download: http://war59312.admuncher.com/download.shtml
Old 20th Mar 05, 08:09 PM

KingCobra is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KingCobra
Quote:
14 million games console owners are still at risk of waking up to find their Xbox has become an ex-box. For when Microsoft issued a safety advisory for Xbox customers last month, it failed to address the underlying problem.

After several reports of consoles catching fire, Microsoft urged 14 million console owners to send in their old power leads for a replacement. But hardware experts point out that the power cable was never at root of the problem: it simply made the existing problem worse. The meltdown, and subsequent fire risk was actually caused by wear and tear on the power supply used in early models of the Xbox. The replacement cable featured a trip, which cut down the risk of your house catching fire, but left unfortunate gamers with a fried console. The cord has an interrupter switch that acts like a conventional fuse, tripping power to the unit.

Ryan, an Xbox modder in Northern California who has disassembled the console, confirms that solder on two prongs holding the Foxlink power supply in place wear out. The problem affects versions 1.0 and 1.1 of the power supply. The design flaw was fixed in subsequent power supplies.
Several other console owners report the same problem, which you can see illustrated here, with advice on some DIY precautionary repairs.
Code:
http://www.theregister.com/2005/03/19/xbox_recall_nofix/