BetaONE will rise again!

Old 17th Jan 05, 09:37 PM
BetaONE Supporter

torataka has disabled reputation
Weird Mouse Problems [FIXED]
All,

Fairly recently, I started experiencing consistent problems with my MS Wireless Intellimouse Explore 2.0. To the best of my memory, here are some of the problems I've been having.

- Left-click and nothing happens, whether it be to open a link, close a window, restore a program, etc. 99 percent of the time it eventually recovers, but I've had a few instances where even Ctrl-Alt-Del wouldn't work for me and I had to perform a cold start.

- Trying to select multiple (ctrl-left-click) items more times than not opens an item rather than highlights it for subsequent action. I went from single-click to double-click in the folder properties (single-click worked previously), but still have the same problems.

- When clicking on context menu boxes I often have to click several times to get the drop-down menu to work.

- Closing one program will close another; i.e., closing Azureus will close Internet Explore.

I've tried everything I know to get my mouse working again. I suspected a keylogger or some other intrusion attempt, but Ad-Aware and Spybot turn up nothing, and neither does my Hijack This log (which is attached for your review). The only thing I've installed recently which seems to possibly have precipitated this problem is Macromedia Flash; however, I can't even find that to uninstall if it was the problem, and I loaded a previous image that didn't have it and still the same problem.

If anyone's encountered a similar mouse problem or otherwise has a suggestion to cure this, I'd be most appreciative!

Thanks in advance,

torataka

P.S. If the attachment worked, here's my Hijack log.
Attached Files
File Type: txt hijackthis.txt (6.6 KB, 1 views)
Old 18th Jan 05, 12:36 AM
Chopped Liver

tubebuoy is on a distinguished road
Well, wireless or not, buttons go bad. Do you have an old wired mouse lying around you can try? Or, try your wireless on another PC?

}---:?
Old 18th Jan 05, 09:08 AM
BetaONE Supporter

I thought about that, tubebuoy, but the problems just seem too weird for a mouse dying (although I could be wrong). Some of the more recent things I've noticed is clicking on a taskbar icon and getting two IE windows pop up, and the need to highlight a word multiple times before it lets me select it.

I actually bought the Logitech MX1000, but checking it out of the box decided it was much to noisy and clicky for me, so I'm taking it back without even installing. I threw away a bunch of computer peripherals clogging up my closet recently, but I'll see if I still have an old mouse to experiment with.

It could well be my <1 year old mouse is dying; however, my main concern is to determine if I've been infected by anything--which is why I'm soliciting the experience of B1 users to see if this has happened to someone in the past. The mouse problems are an annoyance I can deal with; getting my identity hijacked is a major downer that would bring major complications to my life.

Thanks for the response, tubebuoy.

torataka

Last edited by torataka : 18th Jan 05 at 09:13 AM.
Old 19th Jan 05, 10:07 AM
BetaONE Supporter

An update. I bought a new Wireless Explorer today, and after about 5 hours of testing all seems well. So, I guess my previous mouse--of not that old of a vintage--was the culprit of all my problems. Me and the kids put it through hell, so I guess I gummied up the works or something.

I'm glad it was a simple fix, although not happy about shelling out $50 for a new mouse.
Old 21st Jan 05, 01:37 AM
Chopped Liver

tubebuoy is on a distinguished road
At least it wasn't some virus that ate 1/2 your HD

I went through 3 mouses last year. 1 got a bad button and the other blew it's wheel out. #3 is a cheap butt "GE" wired optical. Still working

Glad you solved your problem.

}---
Old 21st Jan 05, 02:13 AM
BetaONE Supporter

war59312 has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to war59312 Send a message via AIM to war59312 Send a message via MSN to war59312 Send a message via Yahoo to war59312
Well glad u figured it out. Yeah i like my microsoft mouse.
Counter started: April 2, 2003

Download: http://war59312.admuncher.com/download.shtml
Old 25th Jan 05, 10:52 PM

Nemesis
I had a similar problem with a Logitech MX900 which was less than 6 months old. I didn't even think that it could've been a bad button! I guess I take new equipment too much for granted.

Anyway, I did the same thing you did and bought a new mouse. So far, so good...
Old 30th Jan 05, 08:33 AM
BetaONE Supporter

Well, it's 2 weeks later and all is still well, so it was definitely the mouse. Never saw anything as strange as that, but glad it wasn't anything more serious. Nemisis, I hope needing a new mouse is the extent of your problems as well!

torataka