BetaONE will rise again!

Old 20th Oct 01, 08:49 AM
david42018

(Im writing this on my brothers comp) I left last night for about 4 hours to do some stuff, I came back and my comp. was somewhat quieter, I looked inside and my cpu fan wasnt working, I tried unplugging some drives and tried to boot and switched the fans power to another 3-pin outlet, but its still not going. The fan/heatsink is a ThermoEngine Xtreme that i bought 2 weeks ago, and kept my 1ghz t-bird @ 1.3 running at a temp of 45C degrees. I recently installed a new CDRW drive but had it working fine and everything was just peachy, but now i dont know what to do. This oddly has also happened to my MB Chipset fan, it just stopped working i cleaned it out and everything.I also ran the Voltage for the cpu at 1.75, stock speed. also, when the cpu fan stops working, isnt the power to the cpu cut off? im running an ASUS A7V133, pc133 256MB Apacer ram, Hercules GF2 32mb, Soundblaster Live XGamer, Seagate 30GB, 7200rpm and have an "SPI" 300watt power supply if that helps any..
Old 20th Oct 01, 09:30 AM

rollerboySE
Unfortuneately the Athlon is not so good at handling a situation like this. You can read more about it here: http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/01q3/010917/index.html
Old 20th Oct 01, 12:24 PM
david42018

man..im scared to take off my heatsink and look to see if my cpu is fried...that means ill be out of gaming and music for 1 month +, i hate AMD now..stupid burn-up-in-1-second-lifespan..ehhh
Old 20th Oct 01, 02:40 PM
david42018

allright, I took the cpu out, its just fine, no white crust no burnt core, it has to be either the Power supply- or the motherboard- because the motherboard chipset has been running with just a heatsink on it because the fan died, and has been that way since spring, now I cant even get power to the motherboard, I re-checked everything,hit power button and...... nothing, compared to last night when it would power up just cpu fan wouldnt budge. there is a light on the motherboard that reads "PLED" that is on, so it seems maybe the motherboard is dead but if anyone can help please do.
Old 20th Oct 01, 03:42 PM
BetaONE Supporter

Bads is an unknown quantity at this point
With the Tomshardware video I just seen,

I think I will keep my PIII 550 on an Asus P3-BF

If I upgrade my cpu this will certainly be an Intel
Old 21st Oct 01, 12:33 AM
david42018

problem fixed, I guess supplied the wrong power cord to my cd-writer and was causing other problems..I did not know u had to use specific power cords
Old 21st Oct 01, 12:43 AM
BetaONE Supporter

Bads is an unknown quantity at this point
[quote]Originally posted by david42018:
problem fixed, I guess supplied the wrong power cord to my cd-writer and was causing other problems..I did not know u had to use specific power cords <hr></blockquote>

All is ok now ?
No dammage ?
All is working fine without changing the CPU or another stuff ?

Yeah,

I'm really happy for you and take care now
Old 22nd Oct 01, 11:01 PM
david42018

Yes, all is well, all drives fine and cpu is Jim-Dandy. I never knew that specific power cables could corrupt ur system thx for help [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 25th Oct 01, 04:19 PM

Sniper
strange how would that affect the fans?
Old 16th Nov 01, 10:48 AM
harris58

Any harddrive or cd hooked up with the wrong power cord or data connector or if the data connector is hooked up backward will prevent your system from booting complements of the power on self test (POST) on "most" computers.