BetaONE will rise again!

Old 20th Jun 03, 02:51 AM
Mega Mod

wase4711 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to wase4711 Send a message via MSN to wase4711
Well, I learned the hard way...

There is a SERIOUS bug in this Internal use Only version, #5207
Your outlook.pst file, which, we all know if the heart and soul of Outlook, is usually saveable/importable into any new version of Outlook.

Well, if you made the mistake like I did, and didn't save a backup of your Outlook.pst from the version prior to this(4920), then you will NOT be able to use your outlook.pst when the REAL technical refresh gets released...
Your outlook.pst will be saved in a state that NO OTHER VERSION OF OUTLOOK CAN USE!!
So, hopefully, you made a BACK UP of your outlook.pst prior to "upgrading" to this "Internal Use Only" version...

wase4711
Old 20th Jun 03, 03:27 AM
BetaONE Supporter

Sephiroth is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Sephiroth
gah... thanks for the warning :S

i've accidently deleted my pst once before (formatted over it, doh), and spent 3 hours with data recovery software to get it back, i've got email in there from 3 years ago... i'd seriously hate to lose it, so i know how you feel, if you can get that build to reinstall and open it again, then there's one thing you *might* be able to do

it's really time consuming, but you can manually drag your emails and contacts out to a folder, and it saves it as .msg files... maybe those will reimport into another version of outlook? i know you'll have to create any folders again by hand.. but if it works then it's better than losing all your email and contacts
Old 20th Jun 03, 10:28 AM
Mega Mod

Wow, it sounds like you've REALLY had the Outlook "nightmare" happen to you before!
Yeah, I think that MIGHT actually work, but it sounds like it would REALLY be a pain to do..Actually, what I did, after lots of bitching to myself, was to take my .pst from work, re-install version 4920, and use that .pst at home; lots of work bullshit in there, but it had alot of my core "stuff" on it..
I had a backup at home from January burned onto DVD's, but I wanted to use something more current..
Also, I sync my IPaq both at home and work, so I had/have my contacts and Calendar in 3 places at all times, so at least I am able to restore those..
I guess when M$ said "internal build only", they weren't kidding!
Old 20th Jun 03, 10:49 AM

E3
How about just doing a 'System Restore' back to a date before you upgraded to 5207? It really can't be more than a couple of weeks...
Old 20th Jun 03, 11:19 AM
Mega Mod

tried that E....once the .pst is ruined, there is no "restoring" it...

wase4711
Old 20th Jun 03, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

~*McoreD*~ is an unknown quantity at this point
thanks for the warning Will. i'll share here what i have done and what changes my pst files have undergone.
my 2003 pst file was first creating using office xp. then i updgraded to office 2003 build 4920. still used the same pst file. (didn't make any backups). on another dual boot, i used the same pst file again in office xp.

when office 2003 build 5207 came, and as i realised it cannot be installed over build 4920, i uninstalled build 4920 and installed build 5207 and still used the same pst. (made a backup before using it in 5207 but didn't need it).
adobe acrobat 6 didn't run smoothly for some reason (i don't know if it is cos office 2003) but i just installed office xp again, after uninstalling office 2003 build 5207.
now this is where i got one small problem. outlook opened ok. but when i clicked send/receive, it said "unable to perform action" or something. so i had to reinstall office 2003 build 5207.

is this what u call the pst file unusable? or something else? i was able to read the emails though. but i couldn't send/receive emails.
Old 20th Jun 03, 02:08 PM
Mega Mod

No man, if your outlook.pst file was corrupted, you get a bad message as soon as you open Outlook...
Your prob may be related to a macro the Adobe 6.0 installs within the Office suite;
I would have done the same thing; that is, re-install Office 5207...Which you said you did..

Did that fix the problem?
Old 20th Jun 03, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator

wase4711, yeah the send/receive problem didn't fix until i install office 5207.
Old 24th Jun 03, 06:39 AM
BetaONE Supporter

ecperez is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to ecperez Send a message via AIM to ecperez Send a message via MSN to ecperez Send a message via Yahoo to ecperez
Hi have the same issue on 5207 cant recognize the .pst when upgrade to technical refresh, lucky before I unistall the 5207 i export my inbox to a personal folder file. when installing the technical refresh I add my exported personal folder then can read my inbox...

the exist .pst made by 5207 is already useless unless you install back the 5207.
Old 24th Jun 03, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by ecperez@Jun 24 2003, 01:39 PM
lucky before I unistall the 5207 i export my inbox to a personal folder file. when installing the technical refresh I add my exported personal folder then can read my inbox...
ecperez, to what version of pst file u exported your emails? version 98-2002 or 2003? thanks that's a good tip; i am gonna export my pst too, before trying the 5329, but wanna know to which version of the pst.