BetaONE will rise again!

Old 10th Aug 03, 04:56 PM
Administrator

Firefox has disabled reputation
DVD burners are getting faster and cheaper, should drop below $100 USD for Christmas holiday, and blank DVD media, should be able to found under a dollar a blank.  Plextor Fans it looks like  Plextor is back in the game with this first.  This is a little over a week old so I am posting it in Chit Chat.

</span><blockquote><span class="smallfont">Quote:</span><hr size="1" />Originally Posted by

Press Release: July 28, 2003

PLEXTOR SUPPORTS LEADING DVD FORMAT STANDARDS WITH NEW DUAL DVD±R/RW DRIVE

Plextor PX-708A Drive is First to Market with 8X DVD+R, 40X CD-R, 24X CD-RW

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FREMONT, Calif. ? July 28, 2003 ? Bridging the gap between the two leading DVD recordable format standards, Plextor® Corp., a leading developer and manufacturer of DVD and CD recording equipment, today announced its first ever drive to burn DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, and CD-R/RW discs. The new Plextor drive helps remove the risk of purchasing a DVD/CD burner that does not comply with future DVD recording standards, and gives customers greater flexibility in choosing which DVD recordable media they use today.

Plextor's PX-708A drive supports 8X DVD+R and 4X DVD-R Writing; 4X DVD+RW and 2X DVD-RW Rewriting; and 12X max DVD-Reading. The new DVD/CD burner also boasts high-speed 40X CD-R Writing, 24X CD-RW Rewriting, and 40X max CD-Reading. The internal ATA/ATAPI-5 interface drive includes a bundle of premium digital media software from Roxio, Inc. (NASDAQ:ROXI), including Easy CD & DVD Creator® 6.1 Basic DVD Edition and PhotoSuite® 5 SE.

"DVD burners today are similar to VCRs in the early Eighties, when people had to choose between VHS and Betamax," said Howard Wing, vice president of sales and marketing for Plextor. "With so many different recordable formats for DVDs, how do users even know which DVD format is compatible with their existing systems? The PX-708A supports nearly every standard in the DVD universe, including DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW, and DVD-ROM. This highly flexible standard support makes the PX-708A the DVD/CD recorder of choice for the vast majority of business and consumer applications."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.plextor.com/english/news/press/pr07282003_708A.html

<hr size="1" /></blockquote><span class='postcolor'>
Old 10th Aug 03, 05:36 PM
Fisher

Thank you for the info.

8-in-1 Combo drive: 8X DVD+R, 4X DVD-R, 4X DVD+RW, 2X DVD-RW, 12X DVD-ROM, 40X CD-R, 24X CD-RW AND 40X CD-ROM
Price $299

The Plextor PX-708A will be mine very soon
hxxp://www.plextor.com/english/products/708A.html
Old 11th Aug 03, 11:48 PM
Retired Crew

Alpine is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Alpine Send a message via AIM to Alpine
I will only buy a DVD burner when they can burn at minimun 10x or 12x !!!

but thx for the info !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12th Aug 03, 12:24 AM
Administrator

DoG will become famous soon enoughDoG will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to DoG Send a message via MSN to DoG Send a message via Yahoo to DoG
</span><blockquote><span class="smallfont">Quote:</span><hr size="1" />Originally Posted by (Alpine @ Aug 11 2003, 11:48 PM)
I will only buy a DVD burner when they can burn at minimun 10x or 12x !!!

but thx for the info !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
<hr size="1" /></blockquote><span class='postcolor'>
You do know that the DVD Burners are speed rated totally different from a CD R\RW don't you?

Old 12th Aug 03, 05:05 PM

billybob3
Send a message via AIM to billybob3 Send a message via MSN to billybob3
Of course DoG! We know that, but if it's 8x, it's still gonna take FOREVER to finish a whole DVD.
Old 12th Aug 03, 06:16 PM
Administrator

DoG will become famous soon enoughDoG will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to DoG Send a message via MSN to DoG Send a message via Yahoo to DoG
</span><blockquote><span class="smallfont">Quote:</span><hr size="1" />Originally Posted by (billybob3 @ Aug 12 2003, 05:05 PM)
Of course DoG! We know that, but if it's 8x, it's still gonna take FOREVER to finish a whole DVD. <hr size="1" /></blockquote><span class='postcolor'>
It takes around 30 mins to burn a full DVD at 2x, when i got my first burner it took that long to burn a cd

Old 13th Aug 03, 02:18 AM

wecc
hmm, $100 by Xmas 2k3 eh? Will believe it when I see it!&nbsp;
Old 13th Aug 03, 03:53 AM
BetaONE Supporter

ecperez is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to ecperez Send a message via AIM to ecperez Send a message via MSN to ecperez Send a message via Yahoo to ecperez
cool, thanks for the info, will wait for all dvd burners to drop when this model is released.
Old 13th Aug 03, 04:41 AM
Administrator

</span><blockquote><span class="smallfont">Quote:</span><hr size="1" />Originally Posted by (wecc @ Aug 12 2003, 06:18 PM)
hmm, $100 by Xmas 2k3 eh? Will believe it when I see it!* <hr size="1" /></blockquote><span class='postcolor'>
Already you can buy for $139 without MIR.* * See herehttp://shop4.outpost.com/product/3718806

Commercially* you can already buy blank DVD's in quanties of a 100+ for .79c.
* 2 years ago DVD Blanks ran from $17-25. (expensive coasters).* Also 2 years ago,* 16X CD burners were cutting edge. Now you can get 56x CD burners.* I don't think that DVD burners will excced 16X any time in the near future (if ever).* *

If you think it takes 4-6 minutes to burn 700 megs, and it 30 minutes to burn roughly 7X the amount of data (4.37 G* You are looking a close to to the same MB transfer. DVD-ROM players are only at 16X ( I can't remeber seeing one faster But I may be wrong) But currently There are now at least 6 candidates for high-definition DVD (which could change everything.** HD-DVD-9 (aka HD-9). Advanced Optical Disc (AOD). Blu-ray (BD). Advanced Optical Storage Research Alliance (AOSRA), Blue-HD-DVD-1. AOSRA Blue-DVD-DVD-2. and a a 6th HD format in the works based on the +RW format.

So I predict or I am making an educated guess that you will be able to buy a DVD burner the week of Thanksgiving for under/at $100 (with MIR) Last year I got a CD burner (40X ) for free after MIR. Weekly I see 48-52x Cd burners for $10-15 after MIR.*

*Mail In Rebate.
Old 3rd Sep 04, 06:29 PM
Administrator

BUMP
Well I bought a faster DVD burner a month ago (8x Dual format Pioneer for $49) Not a refurb. Now you can buy a 12X Burner and The blank media can be found for around .30-40c a blank.

Now those waiting to Buy a 42" plasma flat screen TV watch for my Price point prediction thread. For those that can't afford to live on the Bleedin edge... ummm no name mentioned. :P