BetaONE will rise again!

Old 10th Aug 03, 05:13 AM

LilChicken
First, download bullet proof ftp server from:-

Code:
www.bpftp.com

Here's the basic instructions: (assuming you've installed it properly)

1. Open up the program.

2. To add users, go to Setup > User Accounts

3. In the far right window (titled "User Accounts"), right-click > Add

4. Type in a user name

5. User will be created. Then, in the middle of the window at the bottom, there
will be the new user name there, along with a random password already generated.
Change the password to whatever you want.

6. To make this user have access to directories or folders in your FTP, in the
middle-top window, right-click > Add
7. Select the folder/directory you want veiwable to the user.

8. Once added, click the new folder Line it added there, and along that there
will be a bunch of things to check off. Check off ALL except the two "Delete's"
9. Repeat any of the above to add additional users/directories.

Tweaking

10. To do additonal tweaking for that user account, use the section along the left.
Defaults are good, but if you're not crappy at this, you can change a few things.

11. Under Misc: you can change the Timeout. Also, check off "Show Relative Path"
- this will make your FTP directory look like this: / and when someone opens up a subdirectory, it'll look like this: /WhateverTheFolderNAme Why bother? Looks nicer (rather than C:\Windows\Documents and Settings\Someother Crap\
12. That should be all you should have to change.

13. To change overall Server settings, like the Name of it, go to: Setup > Main > General

The rest you can figure out - not difficult

ISP's, especially Cable and DSL, do routine port scans on their users who have had extremely high bandwidth fluctuations because they think something's up... generally the question asked is, are people running a server.
The average home user a is a complete baffoon and leaves their port in the program at the default one. Running FTP servers, web servers, hotline servers, etc.
As far as I know, peer 2 peer programs are safe, things like Morpheus/Kazaa, WinMX, etc. Morpheus which runs on port 1214 - if you don't use Morpheus, this would be a good port to use, because your ISP would be aware of it being Morpheous used on that port and when they did a scan, and they would think nothing of it as high amounts of bandwidth may be being used by it, if you leave it open all the time.
Usually ISP's only scan basic ports, like 21 [FTP], HTTP [80], SMTP [23], POP3 [110], SNMP [161] - you get the idea. The reason they scan these ports is specifically to look for servers, because as it states in almost all the EULA's [End User License Agreement] I've read, running a server is strictly prohibited and your access will be cut without warning, and that's it.
Sometimes they scan higher, if someone snitches on you or something - but all they see is an open port, they don't know what's on that port, but they know it's open. Some ISP's even take the next step up if they really wanna nab you, and try to connect to that port with a number of different applications. But this is an extremely rare event.
I've known people to get banned from their particular ISP for life, and their name and address etc sent to other local ISP's as a minor warning.
So it's safe to say that running a server on a nice high port, or on the same port as a peer to peer transfor program that you _DON'T_ use is a good idea. The reason I say don't use is because if you use both at the same time, there will be a conflict with the port and one transfer will be dropped dead.
-----------
Your one, two, three easy guide to finding out what port a peer to peer prog runs on!
First things first, download somehting you prolly arne't going to use... say WinMX, or Morpheus.
Install it, do some transfering - grab some MP3's ... small stuff, because you're going to have to monitor these connections.
Open a DOS prompt once you have a transfer or 8 <> going:
Start -> Run -> (type in the box) command -> hit enter [Win 98]
Start -> Run -> (type in the box) cmd -> hit enter [Win2K/XP]
In the dos window, type: netstat and then hit enter
You'll see a big list of connections from your PC. Look for the ones that say ESTABLISHED and try to figure out what port the prog is running on.
---
Active Connections
Proto Local Address Foreign Address State
TCP digital:1158 msgr-ns68.msgr.hotmail.com:1863
under state is where it will say ESTABLISHED
msgr-ns68.msgr.hotmail.com:1863 <- this is the gold right here. 1863 is the port number.
---
If you have say, 6 downloads going in any given peer to peer proggy, you'll notice the port at the end is the same on each and every one of those... that is most likely those 6 MP3's you're downloading from 6 different people. Now you know what port that peer 2 peer prog is using, and you can use it as your FTP's IP and for the most part, you'll be safe from the watching eye of your ISP.
ALSO:
Remember that anything high is generally safe. This saves you trouble if you don't feel like doing the netstat thing to find the common port of a peer to peer prog.
6000 to 10000 and above is safe.
PLEASE DO NOT USE PORT 12345!!!
I can't stress this enough. This is the commonly known port of 'NetBUS' - a well known Trojan Virus. Having that port open makes anyone with the remote for the virus able to plant the virus on your PC and play with your head, steal and/or delete your files, listen to your message echo's, etc.
Enjoy. Have fun. And be safe.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** LilChicken
Old 10th Aug 03, 05:13 AM

Thankbot
4 Users already said Thank You!

Keru, BearCat, NoFear, Dudelive,
Old 10th Aug 03, 01:21 PM
BetaONE Supporter

Homie is an unknown quantity at this point
Welcome to the forum and thx for the tutorial*

Homie
Old 10th Aug 03, 01:38 PM

BetazRocks
thanks for the tutorial dude.
i guess you missed reading the rules bro:

Hello and welcome to BetaONE.

Please read these rules.

1. BetaONE is NOT a warez board! We do NOT provide cracks or links to illegal software.
2. If you request cracks or links to illegal software you will be given ONE warning! If you persist in such requests you WILL be BANNED from BetaONE!
3. BetaONE is a family friendly board. Members should NOT post racist, sexist, homophobic, or in general, derogatory comments. There is NO flaming on BetaONE! Period!
4. Please look at ALL of the forums on BetaONE. Try and post your comments or questions in the most appropriate forum.

Thank you,
The BetaONE Team.
Old 10th Aug 03, 01:59 PM
Administrator

Jarod888 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Jarod888
Just a little piece of advice for you LilChicken, BetaONE is not a warez board and we do not support any form of warez.&nbsp; Do not refer to cracking software, as this is a violation of the rules. It should also be mentioned that running a server would only be for legal sharing of files, such as pictures you want to share with your family.

Old 11th Aug 03, 02:54 PM
BetaONE Supporter

AnneJay is an unknown quantity at this point
Jeez! this guy/gal is only trying to help.&nbsp; I for one found his/her tutorial very informative, read it twice and not once did he/she mention warez or cracking it.

Nothing wrong with sharing your home-made movies with family and friends.*

Thanks LilChicken!
Old 11th Aug 03, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

~*McoreD*~ is an unknown quantity at this point
</span><blockquote><span class="smallfont">Quote:</span><hr size="1" />Originally Posted by (AnneJay @ Aug 11 2003, 09:54 PM)
Jeez! this guy/gal is only trying to help.* I for one found his/her tutorial very informative, read it twice and not once did he/she mention warez or cracking it. <hr size="1" /></blockquote><span class='postcolor'>
It's because it was edited by a moderator and now what you see is the edited post. (See the last line of his post.)

What BetazRocks said was too much.*He shouldn't have posted all the Rules and a link for the Rules would've been sufficient. <_<

There is no doubt that we all appreciate LilChicken's valuable time for making this tutorial and sharing it with us. Thank you very much LilChicken.
Old 13th Aug 03, 09:07 PM
eh!!

Cyberion is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Cyberion Send a message via Yahoo to Cyberion
Thank LilChicken...&nbsp; I'm partial to Serv-U.&nbsp;

I use that so when I'm in class, I can fire homework back to my computer in the dorm room.&nbsp;

I might even try VNC too.

I did not know about port 12345.&nbsp; THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

I can feel, at least for me, you will be teaching me ALOT in the near future. &nbsp;
Old 16th Aug 03, 08:02 AM

Nemesis
This cleared things up quite a bit but my only problem is trying to decide which program to use.&nbsp; Any suggestions other than the one(s) already mentioned?
Old 16th Aug 03, 11:38 AM

unicorn is on a distinguished road
GuildFTPd of course. Free and nice. For the moment an odd version number: 0.999.9 awaitening for a major upgrade at the end of the summer. Version 1 will run as service and get remote control. Pretty easy to handle.