BetaONE will rise again!

Old 25th Dec 01, 09:07 PM
david42018

i just built my new rig today, MSI K7T266 Pro2, athlon xp 1900, radeon 8500, 256mb of PC-2700 OCZ ram, IBM 40GB 7200rpm ata 100, tdk cdrw drive. I set each IDE drive master on their seperate ide channel, i booted up, i see the post, it says "scanning IDE devices" then seconds later says "no IDE devices defined", then gives the option CTRL-F to enter FastBuild mode, or ESC to continue booting, when i hit CTRL F it just tries to scan for ide drives again, when i ht ESC it takes me to the bios and ive tried diff settings then saved and exited, it does the same thing. I have rechecked all the cables etc. one thing that i wonder about is the pin settin on the back of the Hd. i left it set as 15 pin, 0 Master, and i dont really understand those pins as to what it be set, i tried starting with a boot disk it tries to detect the disk and does noting except keep trying to detect the ide drives then just stops period. Im new to building computers and just need some help
Old 26th Dec 01, 12:53 AM

HamsterX
Send a message via MSN to HamsterX
Weird... What is really weird is that BOTH devices fail...

IBM HDDs are usually left as master at factory default. Better replace these jumpers, if you changed any. There's no need to change them when building a system from scratch.
The ATA-100 HDD needs the special, 80-thinwire IDE cable that comes with the mainboard.

The CD-RW drives are usually left as slave at factory default. If you really, really want it as master, check the jumper(s) in the back of the drive (usually there's a sticker for reference).

I think you should first replace the jumpers at factory defaults for both the CDRW and the HDD. If you are going to put one device in each cable, you really don't neet to change nothing.

Go to the BIOS page where the HDDs are setup. Search for a table with some 4 or 5 rows. In the TYPE column put all rows to AUTO or AUTODETECT. Then at boot it should detect everything you connect as long as there's no master/slave conflicts (for each IDE cable).

Are the 4-wire power cables connected correctly ?
Try connecting ONE device each time...
Can you try your new HDD/CD-RW with other computer ?
Re-check your motherboard manual... maybe there's something hidden...

Good luck...
Old 26th Dec 01, 12:58 AM

modD
Send a message via ICQ to modD Send a message via MSN to modD
i'm sorry, but i'm not familiar with the k7t266. but i'll try anyway...

there should be a label on the hard disk showing what position the jumper should be in. there should be several options: master, slave, master w/ slave, etc... Just choose the option 'Master'.

The cdrw drive should be put on the second IDE channel and also set to 'Master'.

does your mobo has onboard RAID controller? if you do, check the manual for a jumper setting for choosing between ATA or RAID mode. choose ATA.

oh yess... in BIOS, choose 'autodetect' for the drive types...

see if those helped you
Old 26th Dec 01, 04:33 AM

kamikazee
Send a message via AIM to kamikazee
also in the bios make sure that if there is a raid or ata 100 that it is enabled in the bios and that 1 of the boot devices is set to ata or scsi. I Just checked you specs on your MB it shows seperate channels for ata100/raid and your IDE channels so the best guess is that in your bios you don't have them enabled. Or set to boot from them
Old 28th Dec 01, 02:22 AM

kamikazee
Send a message via AIM to kamikazee
Just built mine had the same problem until i set my Hard drives up as singles, dunno why, but it worked.
Old 28th Dec 01, 02:55 AM
david42018

i got it to work, i just put in the xp cd and it started setup automatically, lol, but thx for answering