BetaONE will rise again!

Old 26th May 05, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator

Hunted is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Hunted
Keyboard Problem ??
Hi everyone,

I'm having a small, but very irritating problem with my keyboard and I suspect it's both hardware and software related.

Let me start from the beginning and tell you when my problem started. I recently upgraded my system and after reinstalling WINXP my keyboard don't work. I'm able to enter the bios, but when XP starts to load I notice that my keyboard freezes. When entering the Device Manager it shows me that my Keyboard is disabled (See attached screenshot). What I then have to do is to remove the keyboard by uninstalling it or disabling it and then scan for new hardware or enabling the device again. After this the keyboard works, but XP want to restart so that settings can take affect and if I do restart the keyboard doesn't work again. Even with a new keyboard it does the same thing.

Sounds software related hey! BUT I was wondering if this isn't maybe incompatibly problems with my new MOBO since this also happens with the XP 64bit edition. Just for reference I bought the Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI MOBO with an AMD Athlon 64 3000+ CPU. Or maybe it's a BIOS setting or something that causes the problem, but I can't think what.

Is there anything I can try that might help sorting out this problem?

Your ideas/help will be much appreciated.

Thnx
J...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Keyboard.jpg (4.0 KB, 11 views)

AMD
Athlon 64 x2 4800+ - Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI
- 2048MB RAM - 160 GB SEAGATE Barracuda SATA HDD - Gigabyte 7900GT 256MB PCI Express GFX - CHENBRO SILVER Gaming Bomb
Old 26th May 05, 10:25 PM
BetaONE Supporter

war59312 has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to war59312 Send a message via AIM to war59312 Send a message via MSN to war59312 Send a message via Yahoo to war59312
Try installing a different driver?

Dont restart when you get it working so you can www
Counter started: April 2, 2003

Download: http://war59312.admuncher.com/download.shtml
Old 26th May 05, 10:51 PM

Fisher is on a distinguished road
Install Microsoft Intellitype Pro driver and software package 5.2

Applies to:
Microsoft keyboards: Internet Keyboard, Multimedia Keyboard, Natural Keyboard, Office Keyboard and Wireless keyboards.

Download:
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo.../ITP5_2Eng.exe
Old 27th May 05, 12:43 AM

Dudelive is an unknown quantity at this point
First of all you stated you did an upgrade and then this started, was this an upgrade or a clean install of the OS?
Also try using an adapter to go from usb to ps2 so it will work as a ps2 keyboard till all is installed and working....I have had sorta of the same thing happen before.
Try the keyboard on another computer.
Also try letting it find the keyboard when booting when you are using a PLAIN old style keyboard, with out the bells and whistles.
If you did a clean install of XP, go in device manager and remove the keyboard and reboot as will be stated. Xp should find New Hardware detected upon booting and should install the correct drivers.
This is based on using XP 32 bit and not 64bit as I have not used that one yet.

Good Luck and keep us posted as what was the problem.

Thanks
Dudelive
Old 27th May 05, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by war59312
Try installing a different driver?

Dont restart when you get it working so you can www
Hi,

Nah, I don't restart it, only did it the first time when it asked too, since then I just fix it and go on what I want to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher
Install Microsoft Intellitype Pro driver and software package 5.2

Applies to:
Microsoft keyboards: Internet Keyboard, Multimedia Keyboard, Natural Keyboard, Office Keyboard and Wireless keyboards.

Download:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/9/E/F9ED1BA8-4233-43C4-A915-8107CF84869A/ITP5_2Eng.exe
Thanx for the link, I was looking for a driver, but haven't found one, lol. Must have looked at the wrong places

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudelive
First of all you stated you did an upgrade and then this started, was this an upgrade or a clean install of the OS?
I did a clean install since I got a SATA drive as part of my upgrade and sold my old PC.

Quote:
Also try using an adapter to go from usb to ps2 so it will work as a ps2 keyboard till all is installed and working....I have had sorta of the same thing happen before.
Try the keyboard on another computer.
The keyboards used were both ps2 and I was thinking about getting the adapter for Ps2 to USB to see if something aint screwey with the Ps2 plug and yes I must still try my keyboard on another PC, but I'm sure it aint the keyboard since it worked om my previous PC, but it's still worth the try.

Quote:
Also try letting it find the keyboard when booting when you are using a PLAIN old style keyboard, with out the bells and whistles.
If you did a clean install of XP, go in device manager and remove the keyboard and reboot as will be stated. Xp should find New Hardware detected upon booting and should install the correct drivers.
Nah, even after trying removing it and restarting the keyboard still hangs and I do have a plain old BTC keyboard.

Thanx for all the help guys, I will download the driver quickly and install it tonight when home. I will let you know whet happend.

Cheers
Jaco

AMD
- 2048MB RAM - 160 GB SEAGATE Barracuda SATA HDD - Gigabyte 7900GT 256MB PCI Express GFX - CHENBRO SILVER Gaming Bomb
Old 29th May 05, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

Still No luck with my problem I didn't download that drivers for the windows keyboards since I don't have one of those. I did however buy a PS2 to USB converter, but that didn't work either. Keyboard doesn't work at all then, not even before the OS starts up. I looked for a driver on BTC's website and on opendrivers.com, but my current keyboard doesn't have a driver since it's "supported" in the OS. I am however still looking a for a generic driver that might solve the problem, but I'm still convinced it's a hardware issue with my MOBO and OS.

This sucks.....

AMD
Old 29th May 05, 11:34 AM
Super Duper Moderator

Voodoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Voodoo
Hi there Jaco.

Just turn of usb mouse support in the bios. This will not affect your usb mouse at all and should still fix your keyboard problem.

Let me know if this works.

Cheerz
Dave

Old 29th May 05, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

Thank You Dave. It did the trick. Stupid damn setting!! hehe. Now i can take that big thorne out that bothered me so much!

Woohooo....

AMD