BetaONE will rise again!

Old 26th Dec 01, 04:26 AM
BetaONE Supporter

Menace Inc is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Menace Inc
Try this

Download and install Dr. TCP(hxxp://www.dslreports.com/front/drtcp.html). Run the program and use the following info.

Select your network card (the one that's attached to your cable modem) under "Adapter Settings".
Enter these values:
1. TCP Receive Window ---->32767 (all versions of Windows)
2. Windows Scaling ---> No (all versions of Windows)
3. Time Stamping ---> No (all versions of Windows)
4. Selective Acks ---> Yes *(all versions of Windows 'cept for 95/NT--this should be N/A)*
5. Path MTU Discovery ---> Yes (all versions of Windows 'cept '95--this is N/A for '95)
6. Black Hole Detection --> No (all versions of Windows)
7. Max Duplicate Acks --> 3 (Note: *this value should be 2 for Windows 2000 users and is N/A for Windows 95*)
8. TTL --> 64 (I'm impatient and don't like to wait around; if you wish you can use the default of 128 . . . anything more than 64 hops to me isn't worth it)
9. MaxMTU-->1500 (MaxMTU is the largest sized, unfragmented packet you can send and receive through your gateway.
Old 26th Dec 01, 06:53 AM

Umm...Can you explain what does all those do?
Old 27th Dec 01, 05:31 AM
BetaONE Supporter

These are some explanations of the settings in Dr. TCP (according to a FAQ at dslreports.com): Also check hxxt://www.dslreports.com/tweaks

"TCP Receive Window: This is where you set RWIN (RcvWindow). RWIN is the single most important tweak. Raising Rwin from default (8760 for Win95/98/98SE/NT and 17520 for WinME/2K/XP), can greatly improve download speeds. Why? Here is my kindergarten analogy: Default RWIN for broadband, is like having a tiny straw in a thick milk shake, only so much can get through the straw (line), so fast. By putting a larger straw (higher RWIN) in that same thick shake, you allow more shake (data) to come through faster, to a point that is. After which, there is no more improvement, and shake (data) can start spilling all over (packet loss). So the key is, to find an RWIN that fits your line just right. This is blank before changing from default.

The formula for finding your "ideal" RWIN, is to take your latency (average ping time in ms x 1.5), multiply it by your proposed speed, and divide that by 8.

Note: If setting RWIN below 8192, try using even multiples of MSS.

Windows Scaling : 65535 is the highest RWIN you can use without Windows Scaling being turned on. So simply put, Scaling is needed to enter any number higher than 65535. However, you must also have the updated vtcp.386 patch (WinME/2K does not need a patch). Relax though, most users do not need to go higher than 65535. Windows Scaling defaults to off (No).

Time Stamping : The need for this seems to be in question, at least with RWIN under 65535. If you have a line where latency varies a lot, or a "long fat pipe" (for example, pure satellite connection), then Time stamping should be beneficial, so experiment with it. Time Stamping defaults to off (No).

Selective Acks: This improves throughput (speed) on lines that tend to lose packets, by re-transmitting only packets that were lost, if any. Defaults to on (Yes) in Win98/98SE/ME/2K and is N/A in Win95/NT.

Path MTU Discovery : This automatically sets your MTU (maximum transmission unit) to what type of line you have (dial-up (576), broadband). This is the size of packets that you can receive. The highest MTU that one can have is 1500. For users with PPPoe connection software, 1492 and lower. Defaults to on (Yes)in Win98/98SE/ME/2K/NT, and is N/A in Win95.

Black Hole Detection: This discovers routers on the WEB that cause MTU Discovery to work sub-optimally. Defaults to off (No) in Win95/98/98SE/ME/2K

Max. Duplicate ACKs: This allows for faster re-transmission of packets (information), when packet loss is encountered. Defaults to blank, where blank stands for 3 in Win98/98SE/ME, 2 in WinNT/2K, and is N/A in Win95.

TTL : Time To Live is the amount of hops (servers) that a transmission of packets will take before all packets are lost. If you were receiving packets from 20 hops away, and TTL was set to 19 or less, all packets would be lost before they reach you. Not a speed tweak. Defaults to blank, where blank stands for 32 in Win95, 128 in Win98/98SE/ME/2K.

Adapter settings: This is where you set your MTU. (Defaults to dial-up adapter when opened. This has nothing to do with the settings on top). Use the drop-down menu to find your NIC (Ethernet card). If you do not know which adapter you should set, please ask. Do not set them all the same. (Note: Only physical NICs supported for Win2K/XP, no dial-up adapters.)

Note: DRTCP defaults to showing the dial-up adapter. This has nothing to do with the other settings.

ICS Settings: Internet MTU is set when Internet Connection Sharing (a Microsoft program) is enabled and being used on your PC. This is where 2 or more PCs share the same Internet connection, though only one can surf at a time. ICS MTU should match that of the PC. This is grayed out if ICS is not being used (not ready for Win2K).

Also: By right clicking on the logo and choosing "About", you will find information about the version of Windows you use."

[quote:0ae1122211][i:0ae1122211]Originally posted by Homeless4ever [/i:0ae1122211]
[b]Umm...Can you explain what does all those do? [/quote:0ae1122211]
Old 27th Dec 01, 06:13 AM

greasemonkey
Must also remember most Internet speeds are in [b:7fc8e7ddea]bits[/b:7fc8e7ddea] where as I've noticed some FTP program (cuteftp for one) seem to measure speed in [b:7fc8e7ddea]Bytes[/b:7fc8e7ddea]. 8bits to 1Byte if I'm not mistaken which would make you're top up speed 256Kb/s [color=blue:7fc8e7ddea][b:7fc8e7ddea]/[/b:7fc8e7ddea][/color:7fc8e7ddea] 8b=32KB/s. I don't know if all programs are like this but worth looking out for
Old 27th Dec 01, 03:27 PM
Retired

richardc2000 is on a distinguished road
What do you meed by UP speed? If you want to test something, PM with the details - I live in Kits. BTW- the is a lot good help at h**t://www.speedguide.net in the TWEAKING forum. You might want to check this out too but not sure if the link will work:
h**p://forums.speedguide.net/cgi-bin/optd/optd.cgi?
Old 27th Dec 01, 03:31 PM
Retired

I can't seem to edit this - so just ignore the second line i.e. everything AFTER the queston mark on the second last line.
Old 27th Dec 01, 03:46 PM
BetaONE Supporter

Sephiroth is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Sephiroth
edited it for ya, there you go
Old 27th Dec 01, 05:20 PM
Retired

Thanks Adam878639 - is that normal - I can usually edit my posts.
Nevermind - I can now - don't know why I coldn't before - must have been asleep.
Old 27th Dec 01, 05:30 PM
BetaONE Supporter

I was told Dr. TCP is better than the rest. Speedguide puts lots junk in your registry.

[quote:7b71e7ca7b][i:7b71e7ca7b]Originally posted by richardc2000 [/i:7b71e7ca7b]
[b]What do you meed by UP speed? If you want to test something, PM with the details - I live in Kits. BTW- the is a lot good help at h**t://www.speedguide.net in the TWEAKING forum. You might want to check this out too but not sure if the link will work:
h**p://forums.speedguide.net/cgi-bin/optd/optd.cgi? [/quote:7b71e7ca7b]
Old 27th Dec 01, 05:41 PM
Retired

I didn't say anythig about a program - I suggested the site for the information. Also, the link I posted at the bottom just analyzes your settings. The first item explains whether the system is optimized for Broadband.
As for the other settings possible, you may pick and choose - I use Regedit and add my own.

The Speedguide optimizer , which I didn't mention,lets you choose vaious settings - the patches, which I didn't mention either, however, do add several changes but each patch comes with a "default settings" patch, which can be handy for those who don't back up the registry.

The resident guru, Lobo, is pretty good.