BetaONE will rise again!

Old 28th Feb 05, 06:10 PM
Retired Crew

Alpine is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Alpine Send a message via AIM to Alpine
#1: User Interface Tweaks
Please... don't post till i have say done at one of the thread !!

Add Seperators to Pinned Start Menu Items:

In XP, I like to disable including recent items on my start menu, and instead pinning all my most-used programs. But I have alot, and it can get confusing rather quickly, but I found a way to include seperators to organize my data on the start menu.
The first thing to do is create a new shortcut on the desktop. Select any file for the target, and under the name of the shortcut, use the trick to add a blank space for the filename (ALT+0160 on the keypad -- making sure NUMLOCK is on). Then click finish.

Next right click the file and choose properties -- change icon. You should automatically be browsing the windows\system32\shell32.dll folder. About 1/4 down the list, choose one of the blank icons (or another icon you may want to use). Then click OK. You can also remove the target. You now have a completely blank icon on the desktop.

Now just drag the blank icon to the XP start menu and you now have a seperator.

Add your own user account pictures

If you don't like the user account pictures that come with XP you can add your own.

1. First make sure the pic you choose is fairly square, that's because you have to resize it to 48 x 48 pixels, so you dont want it to distort too much. It also has to be a bitmap (.bmp extension) for it to work. A good graphic utility should take care of both the resizing and saving it into a bitmap.

2.After you have it ready go to the following folder:

X:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\Default Pictures (Application Data is a hidden folder)

That's the place where all the little account pixies are located, copy the one (or the ones) you had prepared into that folder.

3. Click the Start Button then click over the account picture and it will take you to a new window that tells you to choose another pic for your account, look for the one you just created select it, and click the "change picture" button and you're all set!.

So now you don't have to put up with the flower or that blue butterfly you just hate ).
Enjoy!

I know it is less fun, but Windows lets you use any picture and will automatically resize it for you. Look for the 'Browse for more pictures' button in Control Panel - User Accounts. yoyo

Admin User Option From Welcome Screen

Easy way to add the Administrator user to the Welcome Screen:
Start the Registry Editor

Go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows NT \ CurrentVersion \ Winlogon \ SpecialAccounts \ UserList \

Right-click an empty space in the right pane and select New > DWORD Value Name the new value Administrator. Double-click this new value, and enter 1 as it's Value data.

Close the registry editor and restart.

Avi files causing high cpu usage again with installation of XP SP1 avi files causing high cpu usage again with installation of XP SP1

I have recently installed Windows XP SP1 update and have found that the problem with avi files causing 100% cpu usage started happening all over again. I tried to do the original tweak shown on the site, but the registry key specified was already deleted. I searched around and found this tweak that fixes the problem, in both the original release of Windows XP and the SP1 update.
The ultimate solution

To correct the misbehavior in Windows XP, remove the following registry key.

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{87D62D9 4-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}\InProcServer32"

This will prevent Explorer from loading shmedia.dll in response to file property queries on these files. This will not effect your ability to play files, get file attributes, or even view thumbnails. I really think Microsoft is trying to make sure people only use mpeg

Last edited by Alpine : 28th Feb 05 at 06:25 PM.
Old 28th Feb 05, 06:18 PM
Retired Crew

#1: User Interface Tweaks .. Suite
Change Browser Toolbar Background

This tweak customizes the appearance of the Internet Explorer Toolbar

XP Professional
1. Click Start > Run > Type gpedit.msc
2. Click User Configuration > Windows Setting > Internet Explorer Maintenance > Browser User Interface
3. Double click on Browser Toolbar Customization
4. Click on Customize Toolbar Background Bitmap
5. Browse for the new Background

XP Home Edition
1. Click Start > Run, type: regedit
2. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar
3. Right click on an empty spot and create a new string value
4. Name it BackBitmapIE5
5. Doubleclick on BackBitmapIE5 and type in the path of your toolbar bitmap
6. Click OK and close regedit
(always backup before making any changes in the registry)
Note: Because you can customize your browser toolbar there isn't a specific size which
you need to make this tweak work. Play around with the size until you get it right.
-----
The Width of your toolbar with be the width of your resolution. 1024 will be your width
if your resolution is 1024x768.
-----

Change owner and organization in System Properties

If you want to change the owner and organization in System Properties, just do the following:
Open the registry and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion

Now just change the value for RegisteredOwner and RegisteredOrganization.

Change Resolution to anything you want....

Ok, I found out how to change your video resolution to anything you want using regedit. I reccomend you back up your registry before tweaking it. Also, don't Go over your video cards min/max resolution.

1. Navigate to:
HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG\System\CurrentControlSet\Contr ol\VIDEO\{Address of primary video card}\0000\

2. Find 'DefaultSettings.XResolution'. That is your y axis. Edit as a Decimal to what you want it to be. IE 1152.

2. Find 'DefaultSettings.YResolution'. That is your x axis. Edit as a deciaml to waht you want it to be. IE 863.

3. Restart, and your done.

Note: This tweak may or may not work for everyone for the resolution you want.

Change Search and Run icons in Start Menu

It was impossible to get an Icon Package / Theme that would change ALL the icons in the Start Manu. The Typical Problem would arise with the Search and Run icons (I have disabled the rest...)

A small search in the registry and I managed to identify the "keys" that control the default icons.

To change them you need to get in the registry, and that can be done by going to Start > Run (or WinKey+R) and typing "regedit" (yes, without the quotes...)

"Search"
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{2559a1f0-21d7-11d4-bdaf-00c04f60b9f0}\DefaultIcon

"Run"
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{2559a1f3-21d7-11d4-bdaf-00c04f60b9f0}\DefaultIcon

You can edit each one by double clicking on the respective file.

Hope you enjoy!...

P.S. The easiest way to find the keys, is to go to the CLSID directory, go Edit > Find and search for the name by pasting the {.....} value.

Last edited by Alpine : 28th Feb 05 at 06:27 PM.
Old 28th Feb 05, 06:24 PM
Retired Crew

#1: User Interface Tweaks .. Suite
Change Start Button Text

The start button is the most clicked on button in all of Windows. If you are going to customize windows, why not customize the start button. It is possible to change the text of the start button through the use of a hex editor which is a special program that allows you to edit files that were already compiled.

To get started, all you need is a hex editor which you can dowload for free on the web. If you do not have a hex editor, visit download.com and preform a search for hex editor and you will find several.

Once you have the hex editor downloaded and installed, just open up explorer.exe which is found in the windows directory in the program. Then go to the following offsets and you will see the text S T A R T. Just modify the letters to what ever you wish and save the file and you are set to go. Make sure that you leave the spaces between the letters and you only overwrite the five letters.

The file offsets for XP are: 000412b6 - 000412bf and 0004158a - 00041593

This method has a few limitations though, you can only use exactly 5 letters. If you want to us somthing with more than five letters, below is another guide that will also change the start menu text. It is from tweakersguide.com but it was in German so here's my rough translation.

First of all you will need to download a exe editor - Resource Hacker and Hacker 2.0 are avaliable from www.downloads.com and are adequate for the task in hand.

The first 3 steps stop the file we are going to tamper with from being restored automatically when windows restarts

1) with notepad or a text editor open the file c:\windows\system32\restore\filelist.xml (you might need to change it's properites from read only first by right clicking on the file and selecting properties, then remove the tich from the read only checkbox)

2) add the following line to the first section to exclude explorer.exe from the protected file list
- %windir%explorer.exe

3) save the file (and apply the read only properties back if you wish)

The next 2 steps actually modify the explorer.exe file that is the windows shell so back it up first if you are uncertain what you are doing (to back up the file, open a cmd window and type -
copy c:\windows\explorer.exe c:\windows\explorer.bak)

4) Open the file c:\windows\explorer.exe with your exe editor and edit the text in following lines

String Table > 37 > 1033
String Table > 38 > 1033

You just edit the text inside the "Start" to what ever you want and compile if necessary (depends on your exe editor - you will if you use ResHack)

5) save the file as (file > save as) explorer.xp (back up this file to another disk if you want to save a bit of hassle after you recover the machine next time)

Now you need to copy the file you've modified best way I've found to do this is to boot to safe mode command prompt although it's been suggested that you can stop the explorer.exe process with Task Manager, copy the fie in a cmd prompt then restart the process again - that worked for me but the origional returned after a restart. The next 3 steps describe how you copy the file

6) restart the machine and start tapping F8 to get the start menu - choose safe mode with command prompt

7) log on as Administrator and you'll be presented with a cmd prompt

8) To copy the modified file just type
copy c:\windows\explorer.xp c:\windows\explorer.exe
assuming that's where you saved it to with your exe editor)

9) Restart Machine and VOILA!

Change the email icon in the start menu

Well, I'll get straight to the point. This tweak will allow you to change the default icon for the e-mail shortcut in the start menu to whatever you want. You should be familliar with regedit prior to trying this.

1. Click on "Start" and go to "run"
2. In the run dialog type "regedit"
3. Go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\" by expanding the appropriate branches of the tree.
4. Select the email client that you are currently using.
5. You can now modify the (default) key and rename the shortcut to whatever you want.
6. To change the icon expand the selected client and click on "DefaultIcon".
7. Change the (default) key to point to the icon file of your choice by double-clicking it. If you are going to use a .exe file with multiple icons inside you should specify with a comma after the target the index number. (Eg. C:\icons.exe, 2)
8. Reboot your computer for the changes to take effect.

Change XP Boot Screen

If you would like to change your boot up screen follow the directions below. These instructions assume that you have a place to download the boot screen from the net. If you would like to download a boot screen, visit http://www.themexp.org

1. Backup (copy) the file %windir%\system32\ntoskrnl.exe (most likely C:\windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe - the boot screen)
2. Download the .zip to your computer (important: make sure to get the right version, XP or XP SP1)
3. Extract ntoskrnl.exe to a directory other than %windir%\system32 (most likely C:\windows\system32)
4. Reboot your computer into Safe Mode (hit F8 before the boot screen) or into true DOS (from a boot disk)
5. Overwrite the file %windir%\system32\ntoskrnl.exe (which should have been backed up) with the extracted exe
6. Reboot your computer as you normally would

Change your Welcome (login) Screen

This tweak will only work if you have the "Use welcome screen" option activated in Control Panel>Users Accounts>Logon and Logoff Options.
1. Make a backup copy of C:\windows\system32\logonui.exe

2. Overwrite the file with your new login screen. (be sure to use the same file name as the old logonui.exe)

3. If you ever want to revert back to the old login screen, just overwrite C:\windows\system32\logonui.exe with your backup.

Some edits and supplements
Windows System File Protection will not allow to override the file unless you follow these steps:
1. Rename the logonui.exe file in either C:\Windows\system32\dllcache or in C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386 (depends on if and how you installed the servicepack).
2. Copy your custom logonui.exe to this folder.
3. Boot into safe mode and do exactly the same (rename the original file and copy in your new one) in C:\Windows\system32. System File Protection will pop up two windows. Answer them with "cancel" and "yes".

Note: It is always better to rename the original file and not override it.

Alternatively you can use this method to change the Welcome screen :
1. Copy your custom logon file under another name, let's say logonuiA.exe, to C:\Windows\system32.
2. Open regedit (Always backup before changing anything in the registry) to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
and change the value for UIHost to logonuiA.exe

Last edited by Alpine : 28th Feb 05 at 06:28 PM.