BetaONE will rise again!

Old 27th Apr 03, 01:45 AM

FrogBait4 is an unknown quantity at this point
...I have two to start with...

First is that W2K3 Std Serv won't recognize my SB Awe 64 sound card...Even if I insert the [old] CD with drivers...Won't play any sounds; when I try to configure it manually, it tells me every Interrupt is in use...

Secondly, I can't shut it down...As Admin, I select Shut Down, for any reason; it acknowledges and then goes back to the desktop...Same story for Restart...It just hangs at an all-blue screen...

It wouldn't recognize the latest Logitech Trackball suite, either, although MS has an ongoing beef with Logitech (it seems); drivers don't work until a year after O/S releases...

Anyone else notice any of these occurrences???

On the plus side, TClockEx 1.42 works fine! :P
Old 27th Apr 03, 01:52 AM
Administrator

DoG will become famous soon enoughDoG will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to DoG Send a message via MSN to DoG Send a message via Yahoo to DoG
To get sound out of Win2k3 Server you need to enable Windows Audio Services in the services snapin. Start Button----->Control Panel------>Administrative Tools------->Services

Then scroll down the list to "Windows Audio Services" Set the service to Auto and then start the service. This should enable sound.

Not seen ay of the other problems, been running Web Edition for a while now, no problems

Old 27th Apr 03, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DoG@Apr 26 2003, 07:52 PM
To get sound out of Win2k3 Server you need to enable Windows Audio Services in the services snapin. Start Button----->Control Panel------>Administrative Tools------->Services
Thank You, DoG!!!

I am over to Neowin reading their Convert to Workstation pages

http://www.neowin.net/articles.php?action=more&id=54

...There is a Shutdown option I will try.
Old 27th Apr 03, 02:40 AM
Administrator

DoG will become famous soon enoughDoG will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to DoG Send a message via MSN to DoG Send a message via Yahoo to DoG
Will take a look at that article, thanks

Old 27th Apr 03, 06:40 AM
Fisher

Thanks FrogBait 4.
Will take a look at that article too.
Old 27th Apr 03, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DoG@Apr 26 2003, 07:52 PM

Then scroll down the list to "Windows Audio Services" Set the service to Auto and then start the service. This should enable sound.

Not seen ay of the other problems, been running Web Edition for a while now, no problems
Enabling "Windows Audio Services" did not do the trick...I've formatted and re-installed Enterprise Edition, as per the Neowin site...Everything worked OK until I tried to enable sound...

...But that *is* what is causing my shutdown hangups...Also, when booting, I get a msg that one or more devices failed to install...I have two yellow "!" in Device manager...Updating the driver(s) does not work; nor does W2K3 seem to recognize the AWE 64 card...

I cannot uninstall the drivers either, as Windows tells me that they are required for a device to load...

Creative doesn't list any drivers for Win2000 or WinXP except the Vienna v2.3 "suite", what ever that may be...Letting W2K3 load the drivers from the CD doesn't seem to work - it finds them OK, but all the IRQs seem to be in use...

...But I'm getting more experience in partitioning, formatting, and re-installing W2K3, which I suppose is good... <_<
Old 28th Apr 03, 12:34 AM

felixml
I have similar, but not exactly, issues only with Standard Edition!
Old 28th Apr 03, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by felixml@Apr 27 2003, 06:34 PM
I have similar, but not exactly, issues only with Standard Edition!
...I have them with both!...

At least my setup is consistent! And repeatable! :P

I also noticed that W2K3 [either ed] would not recognize a 2nd HDD, no matter how I set it up (that is on this same machine here, which has 4 HDDs at any given time, except when installing a new O/S, so I know they all work)...

Probably something disabled in the Services block, but not being familiar [yet!] with Server software & conventions, I don't have the foggiest idea where to look...

...But after I reformat & re-install again (without Audio Services this time), I'll give it another shot...I ain't 'fraid of no O/S...