BetaONE will rise again!

Old 25th Apr 03, 11:22 AM
Mega Mod

wase4711 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to wase4711 Send a message via MSN to wase4711
Thanks to WinBeta for this one....

Microsoft to delay Office debut

Microsoft is preparing a new test version of its upcoming Office 2003 desktop software, which will delay the final release of the product until later this year.
Microsoft on Thursday confirmed that it is preparing the unexpected Office beta release, which could debut in June. A company representative said the release is intended to give customers a chance to try out changes made to the software as a result of testing. The release will not be a completely new test version. Instead, Microsoft said it will issue a "refresh" to the existing second beta test release.

The Redmond, Wash.-based software maker said more than 600,000 people are testing the software, more than double the number of testers for any previous version.

Delivery of the new test version would not give Microsoft enough time to adequately test the software in time for its planned summer delivery, the company said. Now, Microsoft says Office 2003 will ship "later in the summer," which is also subject to change. "Microsoft's first commitment is to quality and doing right by our customers, and if that means adjusting our (shipment) targets, then that's what we'll do," said a company representative via email.

Analysts interpret the new test release to mean that the product, developed under the code name Office 11, might not ship until October or November.

Gartner analyst Michael Silver believes it's likely that Microsoft won't deliver Office 2003 until the fall. "It's safe to say (it won't ship until the) second half (of the year) and maybe even into the fourth quarter," said Silver.

A slip in the schedule will likely have little direct impact on many customers, since most businesses test for a year or longer before moving to a new version of Office. But delivery after Oct. 31 could potentially cause problems for the minority of customers who signed up for Microsoft's controversial Licensing 6 software-licensing program. Their contracts expire on that day, making them ineligible to receive the upgrade to Office 2003 on which they might have been planning.

Also, any delay in shipment of Office 2003 could potentially hurt Microsoft's revenue in the long term. Office is Microsoft's cash cow, generating roughly a quarter of the company's product revenue.

wase4711
Old 26th Apr 03, 06:04 AM
BetaONE Supporter

Bads is an unknown quantity at this point
No surprise

I'm still waiting for my Beta Kit since a couple of weeks now
Old 26th Apr 03, 03:28 PM
Mega Mod

Hey Bads;

If you need any "parts" of the kit right away, I'll be glad to up it to you..

wase4711
Old 26th Apr 03, 11:27 PM
BetaONE Supporter

Thanks for your offer wase4711

I really appreciate but I will wait a couple of days just to see if they ship me my Beta Kit

Thanks again
Old 30th Apr 03, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

~*McoreD*~ is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks wase for the news!

so that Microsoft is releasing a beta 2 refresh instead of the final build in June. alright then. i am fine with that decision, cos i feel the office 2003 is exposed to more people and during that extended time, they will find many more bugs and the final build will be more stable.
anyway i hope the final build will be released before november 18th.

btw attached here is my casual "diary entries" about office 2003 beta 2 bugs.... h34r:" class="inlineimg" />
Old 30th Apr 03, 12:01 PM
Mega Mod

Hi McoreD;

Just finished reading your "bug" log, and its interesting to read about some of the same bugs I have experienced!
As a matter of fact, I just got finished uninstalling and re-installing the entire suite, just to go my damn Outlook to work again!

Oh well, its just a Beta..

wase4711
Old 19th Jun 03, 11:42 PM
BetaONE Supporter

Just receive my Beta Kit today

Now I have to install it
Old 20th Jun 03, 04:36 AM

billybob3
Send a message via AIM to billybob3 Send a message via MSN to billybob3
I should probably check my mail. It's been a couple of weeks, maybe I got my BetaKit too!