BetaONE will rise again!

Old 3rd Dec 05, 06:24 PM
BetaONE Supporter

rikytik is an unknown quantity at this point
ftp server favorites?
I've been using Guild 0.999.13 for more than a year and like it. Suddenly I started having trouble. Couldn't connect to it. I'm behind a router, but have the ports forwarded and the setup as usual. After 2 days of pulling hair I installed the free version of BlackMoon. A snap. It's working fine. I am still wondering what happened on my rig to cause the problem with Guild.

What are your favorite ftp's. Perhaps I should have put this in chit chat, since I'm no longer looking for a solution.
Old 3rd Dec 05, 08:27 PM

PCTech is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to PCTech
hmm...I use GuildFTPd, and I have the same problem I have run a server now almost for 4 months straight, and noone has connected, I try to connect from work and "connection failed" but at any rate, I'm going to try out servu.

And in the mean time I'mg oing to start work on my own ftp server program....

My favorites in order (well maybe now in order now)

1. GuildFTPd
2. Bullettproof FTP Server
2. ProFTPd
3. Servu FTP
4. SurgeFTP

yes that is right I couldn't deciede between Bulletproof or proFTPd. I think its odd that I have gotten the same problem as you...hmmm
Old 4th Dec 05, 11:19 AM
BetaONE Supporter

Yes, bizarre, and I had the same result on both my pc's, which are on the same router. Thanks for the list.

I had trouble configuring BulletProof, although it worked. Then I remembered BlackMoon, recommended last year by one of our fellow B1 friends. So far it is very satisfactory.
Old 4th Dec 05, 06:51 PM
BetaONE Supporter

@PcTech. YOu suppose it's on account of SP2 updates?

The guy who does Guild hasn't worked on this build for a long time. What do you supposed happened? Married, lost interest, no funds?

I don't have cumulative history logs with Black Moon Free Version. Not sure if it's "me" or maybe that is available only in the paid for version. You know?
Old 5th Dec 05, 11:43 AM

Dudelive is an unknown quantity at this point
I have been using Guild since the start due to someone's recommedation here and have never looked back. Although it makes you wonder what is wrong when 2 different people have the same problem.

I always check mine by connecting to it from another computer on the network here when the server has been on long enough to go in standby or which ever turns off the monitor. If I can connect after it has set idle for a long time then there is a good chance as long as ports are forwarded and ip address entered correctly under advanced settings it will work.

Thanks
Dudelive
Old 5th Dec 05, 01:36 PM

PCTech is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to PCTech
it does make you wonder what the heck is going on. I checked my firewall on my server and checked the cables, then I checked my backup server (wireless laptop) and it said it was good. However I am running Windows XP Home on the laptop and windows xp pro on the server. I am fixing to reinstall and switch the xp pro to windows 2000 and reinstall windows xp home on the laptop.

I checked the router even reset it, and I turned off the windows firewall and then turned off the zonealarm firewall (Yes I run 2 firewalls), Turned off my antivirus scanner as well. I restarted the server and even did the 2 minute power cycle of the cable modem, of course it still wont do nothing. I have started to have internet connection problems when I switch over to the server, it doesn't want to connect most of the time. I wonder if my nic card is going out?

Hmmm....We will see later this week when i reinstall that stupid thing!
Old 5th Dec 05, 11:26 PM

Dudelive is an unknown quantity at this point
@PCTech the first thing is to be sure that you can use a ftp program and connect to the server from another computer on your network. That will always work for me when mine is correct.....if I am having problems it will NOT connect. I have to leave it running and can NOT be doing restarts or anything like that. It messes up the computers way of thinking....LOL.

There is another thing that will make it not work worth a dime.......if you have been tweaking the system for faster start-up and shut-downs, you may have disabled some services that are required by accident. That was my problem when I first set up a server......I had tweaked the system to the max and the server would NOT work. I did not check to see why, I just did a clean reinstall from a cd that had NOT been modified for unattended install and then it worked. Of course all updates were done first and a reboot and shut down.

Thanks
Dudelive
Old 6th Dec 05, 06:29 AM
Super Moderator

~*McoreD*~ is an unknown quantity at this point
BlackMoon FTP Server has done good for me so far. Some people incl. HotRod have had memory leak issues but I can say it is the best client out there. What ysco suggested: Nofeel FTP Server looks great too.
Old 6th Dec 05, 03:32 PM

HotRod is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to HotRod
Blackmoon is a great server. My memory leaks seem to deal with Java. As long as I don't load java, all is well.
Right now I run both Blackmoon and ServU.
Another one to check out is XLight. Used it for a long while.
Really liked Guild until developement switched to V1 [2 yrs ago or so] I had problems early with it. Switched and look to see if new version released every now and again. Usually when I see a post like this.
Nofeel looks nice. May load it and see what it has to offer.
Old 7th Dec 05, 08:13 PM
BetaONE Supporter

I installed XLite Ftp Server and it is a good ftp program, although I like the info screens much better on NoFeel FTP Server.

I also tried Cerberus and it ran well, but I dont' care at all for the infor screens. By that I mean the administrative screens to see what's going on with users.

And yes, I always check the router from another pc on the LAN, although yesterday Nofeel was running and while I could get a directory listing, a buddy I was serving to, couldn't get a directory listing on no feel, but Cerberus worked fine for him. That sort of problem is usually the PASV listening ports not being open or accessible.

I generally open 20-30 ports contiguous to my main listening port, never port 21. Anybody have any magic number they open?