BetaONE will rise again!

Old 26th Jan 05, 04:31 PM
BetaONE Supporter

rikytik is an unknown quantity at this point
Using Outlook/Outlook Express with Hotmail
I upgraded my hotmail to "Plus" so that I can use Outlook or Outlook Express with it. Outlook doesn't seem to download all the messages, whereas Outlook Express does. However, neither delete the messages from the Hotmail server.

Anybody using Outlook or OE with Hotmail. Maybe I'm missing some configuration elements that I've not discovered. Any tips?

We sold our place in Canada and are moving back to France Feb 8. Getting my Vaio T series all set up for living several months as a homeless person until we figure out where we can afford to settle down. Man, this new compact equipment is nice for travel.

For an interim dial up solution I settled on Net2Roam. Local dial up numbers in most major cities in the world and no roaming charges. Buy credits on line like with a phone card.
Old 26th Jan 05, 09:27 PM

Shiromagius
Send a message via ICQ to Shiromagius
There should be an option in OE that is along the lines of "leave mail on server" or something to that effect. Not quite sure where it is, but it should be in the account's options maybe? Anyways, if you want to download the messages off the server to your machine and delete them on the server, you do not want that option checked. Im sure someone else out here can give you better specifics as to where to find the option. Good luck
Old 27th Jan 05, 12:02 AM
BetaONE Supporter

rikytik is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks Shiromagius, but it looks like HTTP mail boxes work differently than POP3. If I manually delete a message from the in box, or move it to suspence, the message actually moves on the hotmail server to the same place. If I manually delete a message, it moves to the Trash bin in the Hotmail server. I think there is no way to automatically delete messages from the server in the hotmail system.

Another interesting thing. You cannot delete select messages individually from the trash bin on the hotmail server. The only choice is to delete them all. (normal, I guess)

What I said about Outlook above is wrong. I just didn't see the Hotmail folder which wasn't visible on my screen because of my many folders.

My conclusion is that HTTP mail is a good interim feature for a guy on the road, but I'll bge glad when I get settled and can again have a regurlar POP acct.
Old 27th Jan 05, 01:42 AM
Administrator

DoG will become famous soon enoughDoG will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to DoG Send a message via MSN to DoG Send a message via Yahoo to DoG
I'm still using OE on the basic 250mb hotmail accounts........ 4 of them

Old 27th Jan 05, 05:57 AM
Super Moderator

~*McoreD*~ is an unknown quantity at this point
Outlook Express will not remove the mail from Hotmail site until you move the emails to a Local Folder.

Outlook is very good for POP3. Outlook Express is good for News Groups and Hotmail.

Cheers,
McoreD
Old 28th Jan 05, 03:07 AM
BetaONE Supporter

war59312 has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to war59312 Send a message via AIM to war59312 Send a message via MSN to war59312 Send a message via Yahoo to war59312
I pefer my soultion. See the guides.

Anyways oh yea DoG, well I love my free 2gb account. hehe

Still got like 8 years of free MSN too. hehe

Um and just noticed i was just invited to windows update 6 hehe. Ok now i'm bragging. lol

Take care,
Will
Counter started: April 2, 2003

Download: http://war59312.admuncher.com/download.shtml