BetaONE will rise again!

Old 16th Nov 01, 12:18 AM

Crowdirt
Hi Folks, just an update on a week of Serving:

No Hits (hammering).....No Runs (virus).....No Errors (broken files).....No One left on base (server crashes).

Thinks have been ticking along ok. Some Uploads/Some Downloads, happiness is [img]smile.gif[/img]
Any Problems/Comments?
Old 16th Nov 01, 01:10 AM

modD
Send a message via ICQ to modD Send a message via MSN to modD
i had a problems logging in the forum the past 24h... only recently resolved [img]smile.gif[/img]

imho your server is very nice... good speed, stable, lotsa room, good stuffs offered, and one hella cool admin Thanks for that!

what we need is more file transfers! both ways! i admit that i didn't upload much, but i'm waiting to buy a new hd specially for serving purposes [img]smile.gif[/img] . right now my 30g hd is cramped with 'exotic creatures'-related files hehe.

and the ip-based subscription is cool too, prevents 'guests' from out of the forums to enter.

well, those are some opinions of a newbie...
Old 17th Nov 01, 05:39 AM
Administrator

BearCat will become famous soon enoughBearCat will become famous soon enough
[quote]Originally posted by crowdirt:
... Been looking at BearCat's Thread in "Download Links" and comparing it to this one. One of the differences is that I basically identified my group and have "Communicated" with them ...<hr></blockquote>

Hello [img]smile.gif[/img]
I don't know if I should be offended or not by this comment

On my main server, that has been running for over a year now, I use [b:24269eb653]mostely[/b:24269eb653]personal account's.
All of my "private" user's uses ICQ / MSM together with PM's and a mailing list to
communicate with me, and the rest of the user's.
One group of memeber's are those who have access to the server section here,
and some of the communication takes place in there.
All this takes some time and effort from my end.

While doing this, I want to let some other peolpe getting some goodies. So from time to time, I open
my "backup server's" for the public.
But then I don't have the time to follow up one by one, like I do with my personal user's.
Much like throwing out some bones to the hungry dog's

Since this is the [b:24269eb653]Support[/b:24269eb653] section, I would like to see what happen's if/when you throw
out a bone in the [b:24269eb653]Download[/b:24269eb653] section.

Open up a public acc. and post it in the [i:24269eb653]correct[/i:24269eb653] section of the forum, then see how many Q's you get "out there"

Back in the "old-days" I posted my server in alt.2600, and many of my
private user's came from there, but when betanet.be was operative
I was serving the public, as I have done here before turning more and more private.
Still my server transfer's some byte's on a daily basis.
Feel free to look at monthly stats right HERE from my main server

BTW : When only trusting certain IP's, it makes it hard for people like me, who's on DHCP.
Some of the other user's my ISP has, is [b:24269eb653]NOT[/b:24269eb653] to be trusted ( trojan scanner's / hacker's wannabee's ), so adding a IP range is
not a sollution

Cheer's

----ooO-(_)-Ooo----
Oh, people can come up with statistics to prove anything. 14% of people know that.

Old 19th Nov 01, 12:26 PM

Crowdirt
Hi BearCat, first off Thanks for the Comments, I was asking for some. There are quite a few issues here, and I expect it will take some time to work my way through them all. There are several folks discussing similar issues in various Threads which I have been commenting on also.

On the DHCP/IP# issue, the ISP that I am on uses DHCP as well. ISP's were planning on Users connecting to the Net for a few hours each day or so, then turning off their Computer. The ISP could then "Reuse" the IP# for someone else. However, ISP's claim that "Broadband Connections" are always on ie. 24/7/52. So what I did was to put up a Server on my connection and leave it running all the time. At this point, it still has the same IP# that it had more than 2 Years ago.

Another thing that has come along in the past year are "Home Firewall/Router" boxes. I have a couple of them which are connected to an ADSL/Cable modem. I leave the Modem and Firewall boxes on all the time. In that case the Firewall box gets a "Dynamic IP#" and "Keeps" it for months or more. One specific box that I experimented with is the D-Link 704. The Firmware code in this box obtains an IP# from the DHCP Service, and when it comes to "Renew" time it will "Decline" a different IP# if that is what the Service comes up with. The box will keep doing a "Renew" until it gets back the "old" IP# it had before. It has been successful at this even after a 4 hour ISP outage. The only time the D-Link box did not "Win" is when my ISP changed their Class "A" subnet from 216.x.x.x to 142.x.x.x.

I expect if I can "Deal" with DHCP, then other folks can also. Worth a Try. It may solve some problems for you.
Old 19th Nov 01, 02:17 PM
BetaONE Supporter

BigHead50 is an unknown quantity at this point
CrowDirt, Thanks for a very informative thread, it is helping me understand somemore about this serving stuff aand all the Variables that go with it.
I am using a netgear rt311 between my computers and the net. I have had trouble connecting to BearCats temp servers, and a couple of other sites, with this box, and was wondering what router you might recomend, or a place to go and check out reviews on this stuff, so we could get a better idea on what to use to have multiple computers share a dsl or cable connection, but still be able to access all servers OUTSIDE, AND have people be able to access servers INSIDE...
Do you think the d-link 704 is a good box? How about the linksys BEFSR11 or BEFSR81? or the SMC7004BR Barricade??
I know alot of other would be interested in comment or suggestions on a GOOD router that works the way they advertise....
I bought this netgear because they say it is very good, but from what I read, netgear has alot of problems, and I am tired of messing with it. I have updated the firmware and still have problems, along with MANY others, with these netgear routers.
Thanks for ANYONES input on this..
SeeYa
[img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 19th Nov 01, 03:52 PM

Crowdirt
Hi BIGHEADover50, rather than go into many details here, at least for the moment, have a look at /http://www.dslreports.com and their Forums. There is a section under Equipment called "Networking Hardware". There are many Posts there on all sorts of Boxes and what folks have experienced both good and bad. Keep in mind this place has over 50,000 members so it can be a bit overwhelming. I have a D-Link 704, a Linksys BEFSR41, WAP11, and BEFW11S4 which I experiment with/use in various ways. These things are all different, but can be used in some "creative" ways depending on their "features".
Old 20th Nov 01, 09:34 AM
Administrator

BearCat will become famous soon enoughBearCat will become famous soon enough
[b:5189e882c2]crowdirt :[/b:5189e882c2]
What I meant regarding the DHCP thing, is from the "end-user's" end, not the server.

My ISP started out with a 30 min lease time, but have later changed it to 1 hour

This mean's that if I have to do some HW/SW changes and stay offline for more than 1 hour,
I most probably will get a new IP.

If the server I try to connect to is only open for X IP, and I get Y IP, I can't connect, but
the one who got my "old" IP will be able to connect.

And since I still serve many dial-up users ( 56k's ), it will make it allmost impossible
for them to connect, if I ban "all-but X IP".

I have been having some problem's with hacker's, using one of Germany's biggest ISP's,
and banned their DHCP-IP range.
( both used for DSL and dial-up )
This helped me, but closed my server for many "good-user's".
So it's an option.....

----ooO-(_)-Ooo----
Oh, people can come up with statistics to prove anything. 14% of people know that.

Old 20th Nov 01, 10:07 AM
M.I.A.

Zone-MR will become famous soon enoughZone-MR will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Zone-MR
Is getting other FTP clients to work with a server that is behind a firewall not simple a case of putting them into Passive mode? I presume if IE works OK and other clients dont it will simply be a simple configuration change like that...
Old 20th Nov 01, 01:51 PM

Crowdirt
Hi Zone-MR, I have found some "Firewall" cases where IE cannot make it through to a Server, but some FTP Clients can. FTP Clients that get through are ones that can support "IP Masq/NAT/Non-routable IP" functions.

Hi BearCat, thanks for you comments on the DHCP stuff. I tend to overlook 56Kers. Have not used Dial-up modems for over three years now, so it is fading from my memory. Using IP#s for Control limits access to a smaller number of folks that are on Broadband or better. Basically others that can do some FTP Serving, which was my original objective. Still looking for good ways to handle Dial-up folks. I am a but short on ideas in that case.

An "Always-on" Firewall box can solve many IP# changes when you have your Server off for Maintenance etc.

I am still running my server for folks, so I will get some first hand experience with longer term issues as time progresses.

Cheers. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 21st Nov 01, 09:15 AM

Woogieman
Hi;
My ftp client (WS_FTP) can't get into your location. The log shows the following:

WINSOCK.DLL: Microsoft wsock32.dll, ver2.2, 32bit of Apr 22 1999, at 20:29:32.
WS_FTP LE 5.08 2000.01.13, Copyright © 1992-2000 Ipswitch, Inc.
- -
! Can't get "ftp://66.183.13.163:2020/" host entry
! Connection failed ftp://66.183.13.163:2020/

While this software is new to me, i've used it a few times to download files from other sites. Meaning I probably have the settings wrong for your location. Settings: I have "Host Type" set to "automatic", and "passive transfers" is checked.

Is there anything else I should be doing? Any suggestions?