BetaONE will rise again!

Old 22nd Dec 01, 07:34 AM
BetaONE Supporter

Dave is an unknown quantity at this point
Works under 2000 and XP as well Woogieman, just not 9.x.
Run it from a command line.
Dave
Old 22nd Dec 01, 08:11 AM

kushkush
Send a message via AIM to kushkush
It brings to mind brim to cd or something like that. That utility
was designed to put as much software as possible on the cd to fill it up.
Can cdimage + brim + highcompression bring something more ?
Old 22nd Dec 01, 09:58 AM
BetaONE Supporter

greypigeon is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to greypigeon
Just made my first 2in1 DUTCH XP
Will try it later, one more thing to do, making a MENU
Thanks for the good work khauyeung
Old 22nd Dec 01, 04:51 PM
BetaONE Supporter

khauyeung is an unknown quantity at this point
[12-22-2001] (Part 6)

Traditional Boot Process of a WinXP-CD

We have just finished generating the CORP2IN1.ISO which will give you a Bootable 2in1 CD if you burn it. The only shortcomings are the missing 2in1 Multi-Boot Menu and Autorun Menu.

Before we build Multi-Boot Menu, let us learn the Traditional Single Boot Process of the current 2in1 CD in our hand. I hope I can explain this process in simple words and you should pay attention to those important files names and location I highlighted:

1. You boot your computer with the 2in1 CD, the BIOS search information on the CD which tells to run the [b:05c39ad69e]BOOT.BIN[/b:05c39ad69e].

2. The [b:05c39ad69e]BOOT.BIN[/b:05c39ad69e] is actually a Boot-Sector telling where to load and what to see. With a HexEditor like UltraEdit, you may see the following contents:

00000470h: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 53 45 ; ..............SE
00000480h: 54 55 50 4C 44 52 2E 42 49 4E 42 4F 4F 54 46 49 ; TUPLDR.BINBOOTFI
00000490h: 58 2E 42 49 4E 49 33 38 36 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ; X.BINI386.......

The BOOT.BIN said: "You go to the directory I386 where you can find SETUPLDR.BIN and BOOTFIX.BIN plus some other important files."

3. Now the computer goes to the I386 (the i386 folder of our DevilsOwn), and starting to look into the contents of some important files which once again will tell where and what to to copy in the next setup step. You should pay full attention to the following 3 files which will be very important when we are going to build our Muti-Boot Menu: SETUPREG.HIV, SETUPLDR.BIN, TXTSETUP.SIF.

4. The SETUPREG.HIV in the I386 folder tells that the system to be setup is a full retail version of Windows XP Professional and from now on an ID-Card is given to your final product even though it is not finished yet.

5. The SETUPLDR.BIN in the I386 folder tells how to load, and even more important, where to load the minimum set of drivers and required files in the next DOS Setup stage. If you ASCII-search in the setupldr.ldr for I386, you will find 4 occurrance of "I386".

i.e. the SETUPLDR.BIN said: "You go to the I386 folder to load the minimum set of drivers and required files for DOS Setup Stage!"

6. Now the minimum set of files have been loaded. But before it jumps to the DOS Setup Stage, it will also look into the TXTSETUP.SIF in the I386 folder for another piece of important information: setupsourcepath. The setupsourcepath tells the location of the SetupSourceRoot containing the i386 folder which have all the SourceFiles to be copied. By performing a ASCII-search in the TXTSETUP.SIF, it is able to find SetupSourcePath = "".

i.e. TXTSETUP.SIF said: "Listen, in the next DOS Setup Stage, you should go to the i386 folder located under "" of the CD and copy all those files as the listed in my body for the subsequent Graphical Setup Stage."

The computer keep the words from TXTSETUP.SIF and then jump to the DOS Setup Stage, copying files as specified in TXTSETUP.SIF, followied by a Graphical Windows Setup Stage of the DevilsOwn Windows XP Professional.

After you feel comfortable to understand the boot process of the current Single-Bootable 2in1 CD, we shall start to cook a more complicated Muti-Bootable CD in our next step. By the mean time, try to get the following stuffs from the links provided and add them to your sourceroot (E:CORP2IN1_EN):

/http://members.rogers.com/khayftp2/wpro.rar
/http://members.rogers.com/khayftp2/wpro.r01
/http://members.rogers.com/khayftp2/wpro.r00
/http://members.rogers.com/khayftp2/loader.bin
/http://members.rogers.com/khayftp2/diskem1x.bin
/http://members.rogers.com/khayftp2/diskemu.cmd
/http://members.rogers.com/khayftp2/deload.bin
/http://members.rogers.com/khayftp2/mkbootcd.exe

We shall be using them in the "Multi-Boot" time.

Make yourself ready and Stay tuned!

New content segment is now in [12-22-2001] (Part 7). Check it out!

Last edited by khauyeung at Jul 20 2002, 10:19 AM
Old 22nd Dec 01, 05:21 PM

g-string
Great stuff, khauyeung! I never knew school could be so enjoyable or so rewarding.

g-string.
Old 22nd Dec 01, 07:26 PM
BetaONE Supporter

BigHead50 is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't know if it is just me or what, but when I try and down these 4 files from -- /http://members.rogers.com/khayftp1, I get a message 404....
The files i CAN'T seem to get there are -- wpro.rar, wpro.r01, wpro.r02, and mkbootcd.exe....

I can download the other files (dd.exe, loader.bin, diskem1x.bin, and diskemu.cmd) BUT when I try the 4 other files above, I get a 404 error...

I have tried many different times, and it lets me have some of the files, but I am not sure why I can't seem to get these 4...

Anybody having the same trouble?

Can anyone help me to find these 4 files?

Thanks for any input, and thank you khauyeung, for the best schooling I've enjoyed in YEARS...

SeeYa
Old 22nd Dec 01, 07:30 PM
BetaONE Supporter

Sorry Guys. It was my typing mistakes. khayftp1 should be read as khayftp2.

I will update the links accordingly.
Old 22nd Dec 01, 08:20 PM
Requiem

hi khauyeung, the link for .r02 isn't working.

Req
Old 22nd Dec 01, 09:25 PM
BetaONE Supporter

BigHead50 is an unknown quantity at this point
I am sorry but I still get a 404 when I try and get either---

/http://members.rogers.com/khayftp1/mkbootcd.exe

OR

/http://members.rogers.com/khayftp2/wpro.r02

Anyone that could help me find these files?

Thanks for helping us out....

SeeYa
Old 22nd Dec 01, 10:16 PM
BetaONE Supporter

[12-22-2001] (Part7)

Cooking the Multi-Bootable 2in1 CD

To make our 2in1 CD to be Multi-Bootable to setup any one of the 2 XP's (Professional & Home Editon), I use the "Diskemu - CD-Rom Disk Emulator" which was created by Bart Lagerweij (URL is at http://www.nu2.nu/diskemu/). loader.bin, disem1x.bin, diskemu.cmd you have downloaded act as our soul in the Multi-Boot Menu System. 4 Additional files and folders are needed to be added to our sourceroot: WPROSECT.DAT (Boot-Sector for Professional), WPRO (folder containing a minimum set of drivers and other required files for DOS Setup Stage of Professional); WPERSECT.DAT (Boot-Sector for Home Edition), WPER (folder containing a minimum set of drivers and other required files for DOS Setup Stage of Home Edition).

In the next encoding process with CDIMAGE, we shall specify our -b option (for Boot Image) as -bE:loader.bin instead of the previous -bE:BOOT.BIN. Now let me briefly address how these things perform the functions of our 2in1 Multi-Boot process:

1. You boot your computer with the 2in1 CD, the BIOS search information on the CD which tells to run the loader.bin.
2. The loader.bin takes over the control and runs diskem1x.bin. Instead of calling a single Boot-Sector in the traditional single boot process, diskem1.bin open the []diskemu.cmd[/b] and popup a Multi-Boot Menu asking for our Selection. Here is part of the content in the diskemu.cmd which I have custom made for our 2in1 CD:

:start
cls
print
print ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
print Bootable Corporated Windows XP Professional & Home Edition 2in1 CD
print ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
print F1=Help
print
print
print 1) Setup Windows XP Professioanl (DevilsOwn, VLK)
print 2) Setup Windows XP Home Edition (Corporated, VLK)

print
print
print d) Development->
print q) Quit to command prompt
print r) Reboot
print Esc) Boot first harddisk
print
print Hit the key of choice:
:mainkey
; timeout is 20 seconds, default key is escape
getkey 20 esc
onkey 1 goto wpro
onkey 2 goto wper

onkey d goto dev
onkey q quit
onkey r reboot
onkey f1 goto help
onkey esc boot 80
; When no key found...
goto mainkey
;
:wpro
print Starting Windows XP Professional (DevilsOwn, Volume License Version) Setup
run WPROSECT.DAT
getkey
goto start
;
:wper
print Starting Windows XP Home Edition (Corporated, Volume License Version) Setup
run WPERSECT.DAT
getkey
goto start
;

3. If you hit 1, the diskemu.cmd will open and load the Boot-Sector WPROSECT.DAT; Similarly, hitting 2 will lead to WPERSECT.DAT. WPROSECT.DAT and WPERSECT.DAT are almost identical to our previous BOOT.BIN except that they do not point to the "I386" folder. Instead they point to their own corresponding folder WPRO or WPER which contain the minimum set of drivers and files. Please note that folder names WPRO and WPER are made in 4 charcters long by purpose because we want "I386" in some binary files to be replaced easily with "WPRO" or "WPER".

4. Let us assume you hit 2 and continue our description. Since you hit 2, diskem1x.bin pass the result WPERSECT.DAT back to loader.bin resulting to get it being loaded and open. The WPERSECT.DAT is modified from BOOT.BIN in the way that the "I386" changed to "WPER":

00000470h: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 53 45 ; ..............SE
00000480h: 54 55 50 4C 44 52 2E 42 49 4E 42 4F 4F 54 46 49 ; TUPLDR.BINBOOTFI
00000490h: 58 2E 42 49 4E 57 50 45 52 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ; X.BINWPER.......

5. Now the computers goes to the WPER directory, checking its SETUPREG.HIV (from Home Edition E:WXHVOL_ENI386SETUPREG.HIV), SETUPLDR.BIN[ ("I386" are replaced with "WPER" in all 4 occurrance) & TXTSETUP.HIV (setupsourcepath="" is replaced with setupsourcepath="WXHVOL_EN").

6. The 3 important files mentioned above under WPER are correctly modified to generate the following expected results: the SETUPREG.HIV gives a "Professional" ID-Card (not Home Edition because it was replaced by the one from Corporate Files); the modified SETUPLDR.BIN tells to load the minimum set of files (for DOS Setup Stage)from WPER instead of from I386; the modified TXTSETUP.SIF tells to copy files (for Graphical Setup Stage)from the i386 folder under "WXHVOL_EN" instead of under "".

7. Please note that we only modify the 3 files in in the WPER folder (or the WPRO folder in the Professional case), we do NOT or should NOT change anything in our I386 folder - our Source.

Once again, you may need some more time to digest stuffs in this part. I have addressed how we can boot into Setup of Home Edition, now you try to describe how you can boot into Setup for Professional. It should be less complicated than mine. We are one step to our practical work, I just wait until you fully understand all the behind theories. This time we discuss before we cook!

New content segment will come later, stay tuned!

New content segment is now in [12-23-2001] (Part 8). Check it out!

Last edited by khauyeung at Jul 20 2002, 10:27 AM