BetaONE will rise again!

Old 2nd Jan 04, 04:45 PM
M.I.A.

Zone-MR will become famous soon enoughZone-MR will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Zone-MR
Quote:
Originally posted by DoG@Jan 2 2004, 04:08 PM
@Belthazor: Why not just get RPC firmware for your burner and do away with the need for AnyDVD full stop? There are a few sites out there that provide the software and full details on how to do it- i havent had a problem with any of the dvd burners i have patched
Whilst region free patches will will allow you to play disks from any region, it does not remove the encryption/css making them impossible to copy without tools like DVDDecrypter/Smartripper.

I haven't heard of AnyDVD before, just checked out thier site. Seems like a very useful driver, as it decrypts DVDs on the fly, so any program, even "official" software like Nero Recode can read the DVD directly without needing to rip it to the HDD first.

EDIT: Oooh, and it removes PU-OPS on the fly So DVD discs can't force me to watch annoying parts
Old 2nd Jan 04, 04:54 PM
BetaONE Supporter

I_R_lectrishun is an unknown quantity at this point
I have been using DVD Shrink and burning with Nero. Since Nero came out with Recode though, I have tried it a few times by ripping the DVD with DVD decrypter first but Recode has burned a few coasters for some reason. I don't have any problems burning after using DVDshrink though. But that AnyDVD looks cool. Will try it.
Old 2nd Jan 04, 08:48 PM
Administrator

DoG will become famous soon enoughDoG will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to DoG Send a message via MSN to DoG Send a message via Yahoo to DoG
Quote:
Originally posted by Zone-MR@Jan 2 2004, 05:45 PM
Whilst region free patches will will allow you to play disks from any region, it does not remove the encryption/css making them impossible to copy without tools like DVDDecrypter/Smartripper.

I haven't heard of AnyDVD before, just checked out thier site. Seems like a very useful driver, as it decrypts DVDs on the fly, so any program, even "official" software like Nero Recode can read the DVD directly without needing to rip it to the HDD first.

EDIT: Oooh, and it removes PU-OPS on the fly So DVD discs can't force me to watch annoying parts
I know, but once the region protection is circumvented you can use any dvd ripper you like I hated having to change region codes through windows or using 3rd party applications to get around the restrictions

PLUS quite a few of the DVD writers around now have media restrictions written into them, ie you can only burn to specific media at a specific speed- the region free patches often remove the restrictions and enable you to burn at the full speed of the media.

Old 4th Jan 04, 07:44 AM
Administrator

belthazor is on a distinguished road
DoG, I'll try this, although I wonder how manufacturers feel about altering the firmware while the unit's under warranty.

I did run into a small glitch. Seems there's something going wrong in the burning process. The ripped files play PERFECTLY before they are burned. And the DVD's seem to play fine till about half way through.

But I noticed something strange. Burning with nero, there are 2 time indicators. The one that refers to "Time Remaining" reaches 0:00, but the burning process is only at about 50%. I think this is more than a coincidence.

I'm experimenting some more, including a complete reinstall of Nero. If that doesn't work, I'll try something else for the final burn.
Old 4th Jan 04, 05:09 PM
BetaONE Supporter

freezer121 is on a distinguished road
I used always flash my DVD ROMs to region free but AnyDVD makes it all unnecessary. It does, as Zone say, do deCSS on the fly so that any copier can read DVD videos, whether or not they include a deCSS module of their own.

Second, it makes the region problem, in all its guises, go away. It:
a. permits any region coded DVD to be read by any DVD ROM coded with any other region.
b. tricks more sophisticated checks into believing that the region on the disk is the same as the region on the DVD ROM, even when the ROM has been flashed to "region-free"
c. stops Windows running its own checks in software which can result in the software player running out of changes and needing to be fixed or reinstalled.

Have you tried CloneDVD? There are two CloneDVDs, one by Elaborate Bytes which used to produce CloneCD. It's version is 1.3.10.1, I think. This is the one I use and have yet to have a failure with it. The other CloneDVD, a later arrival, is made by DVD X Studio and is 2.1 I think. I have never tried this one so can't comment.

Last, if you've got a transcoded video and are having difficulty burning it, it might be worth trying CopyToDVD which does that job very well.

Hope this is useful.. I'm certainly no expert but I have made and burned many, many DVD videos with, fingers crossed, no coasters yet!!
Old 4th Jan 04, 08:05 PM
Administrator

User Needs has disabled reputation
Can someone explain how to use Nero and burn these files?
I have never used nero before.
I have used DVD Shrink and have the files on HD.

Thanks for any help
user needs
Old 4th Jan 04, 10:39 PM
Administrator

belthazor is on a distinguished road
freezer121- I did try the Elby version. It was as good as any, but the results with ANYDVD/Recode/Nero are really good.

user needs, I'll work up a tutorial by tommorow unless someone beats me to it.

And good news. There's nothing wrong with the DVD's I've made (except 3 that I screwed up experimenting). I got a Sony standalone now and everything plays perfectly.
Old 5th Jan 04, 04:16 AM

kamikazee
Send a message via AIM to kamikazee
AnyDVD cost money this one does not and works with more apps.http://www.afterdawn.com/software/vi...ols/index2.cfm Look for DVD43 this is a freebie that works with more apps.
Old 1st Feb 04, 09:38 PM
BetaONE Supporter

moen is an unknown quantity at this point
DVDXCopy 1.5.2 1 Feb 2004

This method will not be fast, but the burnt DVDs will play in any player.

On various forums I have seen a lot of complaining about this program and Platinum.
There also seem to be more install problems with Platinum.
One problem is that these programs have no Burn-Proof protection and have no way to set the burn speed. Also, the native Gear burn engine is not very stable, hogs a lot of memory, and can?t tolerate other activity going on while burning.

I have finally found a way to get good burns every time with DVDXCopy 1.5.2., AND IT WILL LET YOU BURN AS MANY COPIES AS YOU WANT NOW OR LATER.

1-Put source DVD in DVD-rom, open DVDXCOPY, and when ready to copy, click the Advanced Options button. Here you enable ?External Nero program?, then close the advanced options button. Of course, Nero must be installed on your computer.

2-DO NOT have a dvd blank in the burner.

3-Now let DVDXCopy copy the first half split image to the Temp folder, and when this is completed, open up the destination Temp file and copy the DVDXCopy folder to a different drive or folder with a different name, say Folder B

4-Shut down DVDXCopy completely, and start up Nero. If you shut down DVDXCopy before copying the image to folder B, the image is erased as part of the DVDXCopy shut-down procedure.

5-In Nero, set it to DVD mode and click on Nero Express.
Then click on DVD_VIDEO FILES.

6-This opens up the Video Files Screen, which will show 2 files already in the Window. Leave these 2 files, called Videos_TS and Audio_TS in there, and click on ADD button.
This opens ?Select Files and Folders? Window.

7- In the Select Files and Folders window you browse to the Second copy of the ?first half split image?, you copied to folder B. Now open up the DVDXCOPY folder inside, and hi-lite the contents, and then click ADD button in the lower right corner of the Select Files and Folders Window.

8-Then click NEXT, and the Final Burn Settings screen comes up. HERE set the burn speed to the lowest speed your burner will do. I set my Plex 708A to 2.4X. Later on you can up the speed one notch to experiment. I know that the plex never fails at 2.4X with movies and the copies will play on any player. At 8X AND 4X it always burns and the copies work fine on the Computer, but often not on stereo DVD-player.(I regularly copy data and Music at 8X). In the options Screen I verify that Burn-Proof and Overburn are on.

10- Click burn

11-After burn is completed, you can make another copy by repeating the Nero burn steps(5 through 10 above), or you can save the file in folder B for burning another copy later?.or erase it.
12-Once finished with the first half image of the movie, start up DVDXCopy and repeat the whole procedure for the seconf halt image.
Remember that before you start ?tp Copy?, you must open the ?Advanced Options? and click on ?Skip Directly to Disk 2?.

Using this method, shutting down DVDXCopy completely between halves, gets you faster reads for dvd 2, which under the usual method often took 60 to 85 min for the read of the second half compared to 15 min for the first half.
This also works with DVDX?Platinum, but with Platinum there also seems to be more complaints about poor installs, which in turn can lead to several other types of problems resulting in failed burns, or in certain screens not showing up.
Old 1st Feb 04, 10:25 PM

SlickVic78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by moen@Feb 1 2004, 05:38 PM
DVDXCopy 1.5.2 1 Feb 2004

This method will not be fast, but the burnt DVDs will play in any player.

On various forums I have seen a lot of complaining about this program and Platinum.
There also seem to be more install problems with Platinum.
One problem is that these programs have no Burn-Proof protection and have no way to set the burn speed. Also, the native Gear burn engine is not very stable, hogs a lot of memory, and can?t tolerate other activity going on while burning.

I have finally found a way to get good burns every time with DVDXCopy 1.5.2., AND IT WILL LET YOU BURN AS MANY COPIES AS YOU WANT NOW OR LATER.

1-Put source DVD in DVD-rom, open DVDXCOPY, and when ready to copy, click the Advanced Options button. Here you enable ?External Nero program?, then close the advanced options button. Of course, Nero must be installed on your computer.

2-DO NOT have a dvd blank in the burner.

3-Now let DVDXCopy copy the first half split image to the Temp folder, and when this is completed, open up the destination Temp file and copy the DVDXCopy folder to a different drive or folder with a different name, say Folder B

4-Shut down DVDXCopy completely, and start up Nero. If you shut down DVDXCopy before copying the image to folder B, the image is erased as part of the DVDXCopy shut-down procedure.

5-In Nero, set it to DVD mode and click on Nero Express.
Then click on DVD_VIDEO FILES.

6-This opens up the Video Files Screen, which will show 2 files already in the Window. Leave these 2 files, called Videos_TS and Audio_TS in there, and click on ADD button.
This opens ?Select Files and Folders? Window.

7- In the Select Files and Folders window you browse to the Second copy of the ?first half split image?, you copied to folder B. Now open up the DVDXCOPY folder inside, and hi-lite the contents, and then click ADD button in the lower right corner of the Select Files and Folders Window.

8-Then click NEXT, and the Final Burn Settings screen comes up. HERE set the burn speed to the lowest speed your burner will do. I set my Plex 708A to 2.4X. Later on you can up the speed one notch to experiment. I know that the plex never fails at 2.4X with movies and the copies will play on any player. At 8X AND 4X it always burns and the copies work fine on the Computer, but often not on stereo DVD-player.(I regularly copy data and Music at 8X). In the options Screen I verify that Burn-Proof and Overburn are on.

10- Click burn

11-After burn is completed, you can make another copy by repeating the Nero burn steps(5 through 10 above), or you can save the file in folder B for burning another copy later?.or erase it.
12-Once finished with the first half image of the movie, start up DVDXCopy and repeat the whole procedure for the seconf halt image.
Remember that before you start ?tp Copy?, you must open the ?Advanced Options? and click on ?Skip Directly to Disk 2?.

Using this method, shutting down DVDXCopy completely between halves, gets you faster reads for dvd 2, which under the usual method often took 60 to 85 min for the read of the second half compared to 15 min for the first half.
This also works with DVDX?Platinum, but with Platinum there also seems to be more complaints about poor installs, which in turn can lead to several other types of problems resulting in failed burns, or in certain screens not showing up.
Hey moen,

I've been using DVDXCOPY Platinum with no problems (me knocks on wood). What I like so much about Platinum over the DVDXCOPY 1.5.2 is that I can remove all the extra crap that is thrown onto the CD... All I usually care about is the movie itself, the scene selection and subtitles... If I can squeeze the deleted scenes, then they will go on to the DVD as well...

One thing that I did not like is that DVDXCOPY does not give you the ability to hold onto the files to burn another copy... I guess they did this for various reasons, I'm sure... But that is a bummer because I always burn a copy to a DVD/RW to make sure the copy worked (and looks good enough to burn onto a regular DVD/R media).

So, I began doing what you mentioned here... Before I insert a blank DVD (when asked to), I go to the temp folder where all the files were copied to. I copy the contents of that temp folder to a new folder. I then let DVDXCOPY finish up burning the DVD... Of course the original location of the files gets wiped out, but the new folder I created remains.

So now, if the original copy worked well on the DVD/RW media, I can then use Nero, or any other DVD burning software to burn the backed up files onto another DVD instead of having to go through the entire reading process again.

-SlickVic78
  • 80 Gig 7200 RPM Western Digital HDD
  • Lite-On LTR-52327S CD-RW Burner
  • Lite-On SOHW-1633S DVD Burner
  • ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
  • Sound Blaster Audigy
  • Microsoft Windows XP Pro SP-2