BetaONE will rise again!

Old 29th Dec 04, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

Vinnie is an unknown quantity at this point
@ Roadworker
Forgot about that, the same old trick that hard drives use.
Old 20th Feb 05, 09:10 PM

mikeh420
Send a message via ICQ to mikeh420 Send a message via AIM to mikeh420 Send a message via Yahoo to mikeh420
It did it again, 68 minutes to burn a DVD. I deleted the:

MasterIdDataChecksum
SlaveIdDataChecksum

values from the reg again, now it's about 15 min to burn a DVD, which is normal. Any idea what causes it to revert to PIO mode? I didn't install any new software or hardware this time to cause it. Just a minor annoyance.
Old 20th Feb 05, 09:27 PM

KingCobra is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KingCobra
Did you read about the recent problem found caused from SP2 that slows down burns? Not sure if this might apply to your problem.

Code:
http://www.betaone.net/forum/thread-15748.html
Old 20th Feb 05, 09:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeh420
It did it again, 68 minutes to burn a DVD. I deleted the:

MasterIdDataChecksum
SlaveIdDataChecksum

values from the reg again, now it's about 15 min to burn a DVD, which is normal. Any idea what causes it to revert to PIO mode? I didn't install any new software or hardware this time to cause it. Just a minor annoyance.
I think this explains it, third paragraph down.

In Windows 2000 only, read requests to ATA disks are sometimes issued with a time-out value of 4 seconds. This occurs when your computer resumes from standby. This might cause a disk time-out because drives typically take more than 4 seconds to spin up. This time-out value was changed to 10 seconds.

In Windows XP and Windows Server 2003, this time-out value is always 10 seconds.

An alternate, less-aggressive policy is implemented to reduce the transfer mode (from faster to slower DMA modes, and then eventually to PIO mode) on time-out and CRC errors. The existing behavior is that the IDE/ATAPI Port driver (Atapi.sys) reduces the transfer mode after any 6 cumulative time-out or CRC errors. When the new policy is implemented by this fix, Atapi.sys reduces the transfer mode only after 6 consecutive time-out or CRC errors. This new policy is implemented only if the registry value that is described later in this article is present.

To implement the alternate behavior (reducing the transfer mode after six consecutive time-out or CRC errors instead of after six cumulative time-out or CRC errors), you must modify the registry as described below after you install the hotfix.

WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

Follow these steps, and then quit Registry Editor:

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.

2. Locate and then click the following key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0001

3. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.

4. Type ResetErrorCountersOnSuccess, and then press ENTER.

5. On the Edit menu, click Modify.

6. Type 1, and then click OK.

Follow these steps, and then quit Registry Editor:

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.

2. Locate and then click the following key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\
Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0002

3. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.

4. Type ResetErrorCountersOnSuccess, and then press ENTER.

5. On the Edit menu, click Modify.

6. Type 1, and then click OK.

Note The numbered subkeys that are listed earlier correspond to the primary and secondary IDE channels on a computer that contains a single IDE controller. If your computer contains two IDE controllers, the numbered subkeys for the primary and secondary IDE channels for each of the two controllers may be:

Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0002

Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0003

Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0004

Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0005

To verify that you have located the correct subkey, verify that the DriverDesc value for the subkey contains the string value "Primary IDE Channel" or the string value "Secondary IDE Channel."
Old 21st Feb 05, 12:18 AM

mikeh420
Send a message via ICQ to mikeh420 Send a message via AIM to mikeh420 Send a message via Yahoo to mikeh420
I had changed these settings back in late December, I think you will find all that info earlier in this thread too. As long as I can fix it, no big deal, just curious what causes the changes to be made in the Registry.
Old 21st Feb 05, 04:27 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeh420
I had changed these settings back in late December, I think you will find all that info earlier in this thread too. As long as I can fix it, no big deal, just curious what causes the changes to be made in the Registry.

T
hat's the reason I posted that part again, it explains why it changes:
Code:
In Windows XP and Windows Server 2003, this time-out value is always 10 seconds. An alternate, less-aggressive policy is implemented to reduce the transfer mode (from faster to slower DMA modes, and then eventually to PIO mode) on time-out and CRC errors. The existing behavior is that the IDE/ATAPI Port driver (Atapi.sys) reduces the transfer mode after any 6 cumulative time-out or CRC errors. When the new policy is implemented by this fix, Atapi.sys reduces the transfer mode only after 6 consecutive time-out or CRC errors. This new policy is implemented only if the registry value that is described later in this article is present. To implement the alternate behavior (reducing the transfer mode after six consecutive time-out or CRC errors instead of after six cumulative time-out or CRC errors), you must modify the registry as described below after you install the hotfix.

That's why you have to add the new DWORD value, i.e.
ResetErrorCountersOnSuccess
After doing this it takes 6 consecutive errors instead of 6
cumulative time-out or CRC errors to drop down the speed.

I've not had anymore problems after doing everything in the post. Of course you might be having so many errors that it's dropping down the speed anyway. You might try lowering your burn speed and see if that helps any.