BetaONE will rise again!

Old 15th Jul 02, 04:24 AM

FreeUS
I use 9x with games (yes Im an old guy that still gaming :P )
Its alot better than any others W$ (have more Frames Per Second than any NT and the color pallet that use nVidia on 9x its a lot better that the same used on NT)
Old 17th Jul 02, 02:25 AM

analog chainsaw
I run WinME on a partition on my testbox, that's about it. I don't know why, but I just don't like using 98/ME, and I loathe 95. I think it's because I really started getting into computers and understanding them about the time of Win2k. (although I had 95 and 98 briefly on my first PC, but didn't know what the hell I was doing).

I'm a loyal fan of 2k, XP, basically anything NTFS. If I'm loading a new OS on a friend or family members computer, I won't bother with anything lower than 2k, just because I don't want to have to come back and mess with it later.

NTFS 4 LIFE!
Old 18th Jul 02, 01:07 AM
BetaONE Supporter

Ditchmonk is an unknown quantity at this point
Running xp pro.. home.. lindows on my 3 box's Still running 98se on my kids box...for games and things for them...plus at 2&5 would be big switch for them this early in the learning phase...

the real reason is simplicity in fixing what they mess up
Old 25th Jul 02, 04:10 AM

skloo77
Send a message via ICQ to skloo77 Send a message via MSN to skloo77
98 is still using to play most of the games, not ME tho...(don really like ME)

currently dual booting my 98 win 2k.
Old 28th Jul 02, 04:41 AM
obi1

I am using XP Pro, and have been since RC1 stage... and have not looked back since. I liked the look and feel of XP from day one, and the stability is a 100x improvement over the 9x code. I ran across a Blue Screen in XP once, but after making sure I had the latest device drivers, it has been solid since (almost a year).

The security and stability features also make XP a better choice for kids' use. Under 9x, system files are not protected, so any unintentional file deletions and hung apps have access to the System32 folder and bring down the OS. Thus 9x is inherently unstable. Under XP, kids can be assigned 'Restricted User' rights, and they can't install, uninstall or have access to System Files.

In a network environment, XP is so much more 'aware'. It automatically detects any Internet Connection Sharing hosts and connects to it, and provides for an NT secure environment.

It erks me to see IT consultants who get used to one particular OS, and forego looking at newer OSs because 'they are comfortable with what works'. I am always amazed that in the IT field where it is in a constant state of flux with newer programs out about every 2 years and newer hardware moving in accordance with Moore's Law, that a lot of IT people don't like to change things much.

I would rather sit there and watch my fingernails grow, than go back to using Windows 9x. I just can't wait for the final .NET Server and the anticipated Longhorn with the new 'Yukon' technology and file system.

Last edited by obi1 at Jul 27 2002, 10:43 PM
Old 21st Aug 02, 08:00 PM

Dangerous
i am still using win 98se, i find it very easy to reinstall after i piss it up - also i can get win XP to install the way i am happy with
Old 29th Sep 02, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

~*McoreD*~ is an unknown quantity at this point
i got my PII computer with Windows 98 installed in 1999. i was so pissed for its instability. when Windows 2000 was released, and after i installed it, i felt the huge difference between the two. It has sacrificed its compatibility to its stability. i sacrificed my listening to music for 3 months, till buying a new soundcard which is compatible with Windows 2000. i didn't give up using windows 2000 within that time -- that's much i loved its stabiliy. Now Windows XP is out, and the SP1, so I benefit from both compatibility and stability.
I live with the ntoskrnl and will never go back to the 9x kernal.
Old 30th Sep 02, 03:14 AM
BetaONE Supporter

lickablepig is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi, add me to the pot. Still have two machines that run well for what they're used for.. primarily gaming, 98 with sp1, all the security fixes, ladi dadi da. you know the drill. All my hardware / software is well established and @home there. Have several mult-boot rigs with XPSP1, 98se, mandrake8x... I prefer xp when using the newer hardware/softwares i snatch from time to time. peace out, jizac
("(")_)0

Old 6th Dec 02, 02:58 AM

ericksonusa is an unknown quantity at this point
Windows 98, what the heck? why wouldn't you take advantage of (finally) a decent MS upgrade. The previous versions were pretty sad but XP works!
Old 6th Dec 02, 02:29 PM

ernest
I still run 98SE on an old machine so that I can run things which will not go with XP