BetaONE will rise again!

Old 12th Oct 04, 10:17 PM
BetaONE Supporter

war59312 has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to war59312 Send a message via AIM to war59312 Send a message via MSN to war59312 Send a message via Yahoo to war59312
Nicely done.

I plan on cleaning this bad boy up.

Thanks,
Will
Counter started: April 2, 2003

Download: http://war59312.admuncher.com/download.shtml
Old 12th Oct 04, 10:18 PM
BetaONE Supporter

protecteur is an unknown quantity at this point
Q: what are the part #s for MCE when ordering through distribution?
A: There are different part numbers for different languages. Which language is this? If it's English, the Microsoft part number is: M93-00091 for the 3-pack.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: my IE browser can't find http://oem.microsoft.com/MCEReady
A: try www.microsoft.com/oem
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: Just clarfiy please, can MCE 2005 connect to a domain? Also, will it run IIS like XP Pro proper?
A: No. MCE cannot connect to a domain. Why would you want to run IIS on it?
Q: whats the microsoft site?
A: www.microsoft.com/oem www.microsoft.com/mediacenter
Q: Does MCE2005 support HDTV Cable and/or satellite?
A: Unfortunately not at this time.
Q: is there any evaluation version of MCE 2005 ?
A: If you order the October ACtion Pack (microsoft.com/partners), MCE is included (in the 12 countries where MCE is available.
Q: When on MSDN subscribers?
A: Soon, the MSDN team has a release schedule
Q: When will there be more TV tuner cars on the approved list?
A: The list is being updated frequently. Please visit oem.microsoft.com/mceready
Q: Is Movielink only available in the US? What about the UK?
A: contact movielink at www.movielink.com
Q: Is getting TV on MCE2005 as simple as plugging a standard ariel into a tuner card?
A: There are several steps needed to get the TV funtioning in MCE. Plugging an available signal is the first step but you will also need to configure the TV signal within MCE itself. This is done by running the TV configuration wizard from within MCE itself.
Q: What marketing materiel is available to the OEM system builder for MCE
A: Please see oem.microsoft.com/mceready
Q: Why isn`t there a DVD-player software included?
A: Because it cost money and people like to choose what they want.
Q: So, did I understand correctly that HD support is just ATSC OTA?
A: Correct
Q: Is Movielink only available in the US? What about the UK?
A: Contact movielink at www.movielink.com
Q: What harddrive did they use in the video to transfer from PC to PC?
A: The equipment they showed was HP, please visi the HP website for more information.
Q: sorry, but I haven't caught if there is a way to get the latest version of MCE 2005?? We are an MS oem system builder, Certified Partner, MSDN. We would like to offer MCE as a system builder and have been testing MCE 2004.
A: MCE 2005 is available from Authorized Distributors in countries where it is available. For internal use, you can order the Action Pack for October.

http://ipods.freepay.com/?r=22062348
Old 12th Oct 04, 10:18 PM
BetaONE Supporter

Q: oem version comes with remote?
A: It can, yes.
Q: will the Xbox extender have a new remote, or will the DVD pack remote be used?
A: some features can be used off the old remote. But a new remote is available
Q: When will MovieLink be available in the UK?
A: contact movielink at www.movielink.com
Q: I am confused you say that MCE would be released in the Action Pack where MCE is distributed, then you say no YES OR NO and why not?
A: Windows MCE 2005 will be available in 13 countries worldwide. In those countries, it will be included as part of the Action Pack. We hope that clarifies this for you. Thanks!
Q: can extender have sepater video input at the tv
A: I am unsure of your question. The Media Center Extender video outputs will vary by manufacturer but should support composite and S-video connection to a TV at a minimum, while most should support component as well.
Q: Can an MCE-PC be used for normal PC purposes like office 2003?
A: Yes, but since it is intended for the living/family room experience you may choose not to do your office work from there.
Q: What is that harddrive they take in/out?
A: Please visit the HP website, as they are the manufacturer of this hardware.
Q: What HD TV Tuner cards are supported by MCE 2005?
A: http://oem.microsoft.com/MCEReady has a list of suppported hardware
Q: Which quarter will MCE05 be shipped in the Action Pack?
A: It will be in the October 2004 Action Pack in the 13 countries where MCE is available (except Japan).
Q: If someone hacks into your computer and finds out your information and purchases music under your name, is there a way to get reimbursed for the amount?
A: You will need to contact the various partners to find what their policy would be in the situation.
Q: Chinese text support?
A: should be available
Q: According to the OEM information, MCE can be sold with out a TV Tunner
A: Yes, but MCE would be a little useless without a TV tuner.
Q: Will MCE 2005 be available as a free upgrade for MCE 2004, via oem's?
A: Correct
Q: When will the OEM software be available thru distribution?
A: It is available now!
Q: How can one attain a MCE preview pack?
A: MCE 2005 is available for partners via the Microsoft Action Pack subsription in countries where MCE is distributed.
Q: how much will the MCE cost in the Uk
A: Please contact your authorized Microsoft OEM Distributor for pricing information. Thanks!

Old 12th Oct 04, 10:19 PM
BetaONE Supporter

Q: What are Media Center Extenders?
A: See http://oem.microsoft.com/MCEReady
Q: How much it will cost?
A: It will vary with the hardware. Please check with your distributor for their pricing.
Q: please tell me about video quality improvments - e.g. scaling/descaling and HD
A: You can get detailed informatio if you post this question on the MCE Preinstall newsgroups available to theOEM and system builder channels.
Q: Is there any plan for retail version of MCE 2005 ? I saw the MCE retail suite in Akiba, Japan..
A: There are only OEM versions of MCE available, even in Japan!
Q: Can we post this video replay on our own websites for marketing purposes?
A: No it is not redistributable. However a link can be provided that points to the video on Microsoft's website.
Q: Does MCE support the same features for Radio as it does for TV? For example listening to a fave radio programme on the move.
A: No.
Q: Is MCE gogin to be available in the Action Pack Subscription?
A: yes
Q: can you record off internal tv tuner as well as s-video and rca audio inputs from digital cable box, satellite receiver, etc. simultaneously?
A: MCE 2005 only supports up to two TV Tuners that must have identical incoming signals. You cannot have one input coming from your satellite receiver while another input is coming from a cable set top box. If you want to have two incoming signals and both are going through a cable set-top box or satellite receiver, currently you would need to have 2 set-top boxes/satellite receivers.
Q: How easy is it to use directv with MCE?
A: not too difficult if you keep the set top box so that the signal is decoded
Q: If upgrading from 2004 to 2005 will domain support be retained
A: If you are connecting to your domain with MCE 2004 now and upgrade to 2005 this will not be lost. If you disconnect from the domain after upgrading you will not be able to rejoin the domain.
Q: Can I buy a single OEM copy at distributors? Do they come with the remote?
A: You should contact your Microsoft OEM Distributor. They can also sell you the remote control.
Q: once I record a tv show with media center 2005, can I then burn that movie to dvd
A: Yes, you are able to burn a DVD with MCE 2005 that has the proper software (such as Sonic DVd burning software), installed.
Q: is the MCE available in Venezuela?
A: No.
Q: Is there an upgrade for XP Pro coming out?
A: not at this time
Q: what are extenders?
A: Extenders are a hardware solution (or software for the Xbox) that extend the Media Center experience to a TV in a different location from the Media Center PC. For more information please see the Media Center Extender section on http://oem.microsoft.com/mceready.
Q: Is Windows Movie Maker included in MCE? Is video editable from within the Media Center?
A: MCE is based on Windows XP Pro which includes Movie Maker.

Old 12th Oct 04, 10:20 PM
BetaONE Supporter

Q: When will the Movie Finder service be available in the UK?
Q: incredible stuff again Microsoft, keep it up! every product and launch i have participated in just amazes me how great Microsoft is, every time. Big success!
A: Thank you!
Q: Will the necesary hardware components for MCE be available to OEM's much easier?
A: should be
Q: will media center edition support hong kong signal
A: Media Center is currenlty available in China.
Q: Will MCE 2005 Work in the uk with SKY Digital
A: Yes, we will work with sky digital by using their STB.
Q: Will there be a update for MCE 2004 remote to work on 2005 in the future?
A: The MCE 2004 remote should function without issues on MCE 2005
Q: When will drivers for existing decoder cards (Hauppage) become available - or can we use the existing drivers as used in MCE2004?
A: We have the list of supported hardware and drivers available on oem.microsoft.com/MCEReady
Q: Can I stream my live TV (digital terrestrial TV) on the internet from my Media center
A: No, that is not supported by Media Center.
Q: Set top boxes (at least in Europe) signal aspect ratio switching either with scart pin8 or line 23 WSS. Does MCE support any of these?
A: We do not support WSS at this time.
Q: How many extenders can I run simultaneously?
A: up to 5 sessions at a time.
Q: WILL THE REMOTE CONTROL COME WITH MCE FOR THE ACTION PACK??
A: We do have plans to include the remote control in a future Action Pack.
Q: Approximately when does the Xbox extender be released to retail
A: Before Christmas
Q: Which is the best decoder for the MCE 2005?
A: We do not receommend one decoder over another. Please work with our partners to select your decoder
Q: when will media center extenders be released in germany?
A: German should be available as of today.
Q: Specifically, is the DVICO, Fusion III QAM HDTV card compatible with MCE2005?
A: Please refer to HCL available on oem.microsoft.com/MCEReady
Q: if your computer catches fire and you lose your data and purchased albums in a format. do u need to purchase those albums again?
A: You should check the policy with the vendor you downloaded from.

Old 12th Oct 04, 10:21 PM
BetaONE Supporter

Q: Is it possible to build MCE 2005 as Royalty OEM?
A: Yes
Q: Is there a way to extract (for referal) this question and answer pannel when this is over?
A: Yes, please check back in 24 hours. The questions and answers will be posted. Thank you!
Q: Will MCE2005 run on my computer (pentium 1 166MHZ 2MB vid card 16MB ram)
A: You can find the hardware req's at oem.microsoft.commceready
Q: where is listof oem distributors
A: OEM Distributors are listed on the Microsoft OEM System Builder Website. Look under product availability.
Q: do you have to be a certified System Builder to get started building Media Center PCs, or can all OEMs get access to the media center software
A: System Builders can purchase MCE them from Authorized Distributors.
Q: Can I record TV etc. directly onto a memory card in a highly compressed format for replay on my PDA?
Q: Who's the builder of the box used in presentation?
A: HP
Q: What about WHQL Certification Designed for Windows XP Media Center Edition? When will that be available? We are ready to ship our Digtial Home PC ™and are waiting for that opportunity to badge our systems.
A: This is currently available. For more information please refer to oem.microsoft.com/MCEReady
Q: I was told that mce 2005 can't join domains and this was a change with this version of MCE. Given that, it is not a superset of XP Pro, correct?
A: That's correct, it cannot join a domain.
Q: Why would you suggest that someone upgrade from 2004 to 2005?
A: better tv viewing quality
Q: If you have a current Action Pack subscription, will MCE 2005 be coming in a future update?
A: Yes, in the October 2004 Action Pack, but only in the 13 countries where MCE is available.
Q: Will there be a "corporate" version, for IT professionals?
A: MCE is aimed for the Home entertain market. For the living/family room. Why would a corporate IT professional need it at work?
Q: Do Media Center extenders work only for MCE 2005, or can it work with MCE 2004 too?
A: The Extenders only work with MCE 2005
Q: Why is the MyMovies feature not available in the uk version
A: Are you referring to My Videos instead? My Videos should be present in the U.K. version of MCE 2005.
Q: Van I connect my computer to my enretainment center and cable system and use it as a tvo?
Q: What is the output of HDTV via a MEDIA EXTENDER DEVICE?
A: We currently support 480p output with the extenders.

Old 12th Oct 04, 10:22 PM
BetaONE Supporter

Q: What is not included in MCE 2005 that is included in XP Pro?
A: Other than the ability to join a domain MCE 2005 should have all of the same features as that of XP Pro.
Q: What is the initial suggested retail value of Winows MCE and all necessary hardware?
A: MCE and the hardware components are sold via distribution. Please contact your authorized Microsoft OEM Distributor for pricing. Thanks!
Q: I am a system builder. How can I aquire a copy of MCE 2005 to test?
A: One way is to subscribe to the Action Pack. If MCE is distributed in your country, you should receive it in the action pack.
Q: why the epg is not complete for germany (on some channels comes "no data avialble"). for some months this works fine. would this repair in the future?
A: When this happens and we are notified, we notify the EPG provider to correct this issue. A link should be available for this type of report on www.microsoft.com/MediaCenter
Q: Is installing MCE2005 on a computer similar to installing XP?
Q: How much s the HP MCE System being displayed?
A: Please refer to the HP website for more information regarding HP hardware, availability and pricing.
Q: can consumers varify oem builder certificates
A: http://www.microsoft.com/oem
Q: does the TV come with the purchase of MCE2005?
A: No ... sorry! :-)
Q: when will this be available in the UK?
A: It should be available now in the UK from authorized OEM distributers.
Q: If MCE2005 is the Flagship of all Windows XP versions, than why won't MS sell it retail?.
A: There are rigid hardware driver and dependencies that would make this very challenging to release in the normal retail channel. That is why this is available via OEMs/System Builders only.
Q: Can you create a custom channel to record a live event (birthday party or conference)?
Q: why are their retail and oem media for mce 2005?
A: MCE is OEM/System Builder only. There is no retail.
Q: How much does an action pack cost to oem system builders??
A: The cost depends on the country where you are located. If you go to microsoft.com/partner, you can get ordering/cost information.
Q: Why not on MSDN today. Please support your developers. WE pay $1500 + for Universal subscription and I cannot start developing for MCE 2005 today. That is wrong!
A: it'll be available at a later date
Q: It appeared that WMC was only made available to very large OEM's in the past. Will this version be available to smaller niche OEM's using components from HCL?
A: MCE is available to all System Builders now.
Q: When will MCE be available for the Norwegian market?
A: We cannot discuss future product plans and availability at this time.

Old 12th Oct 04, 10:23 PM
BetaONE Supporter

Q: so as a oem bulider we will be able to build our own and load the os
A: MCE will be available throught the system builder channel - so yes!
Q: Will there ever be a home version available for MCE?
A: MCE is only available on Windows XP Pro
Q: Will there be an upgrade edition for those customers who would like to upgrade from a previous version of MCE?
A: if your oem has the upgrade available.
Q: in the program guide, can you go into the past to view previous schedules?
Q: will there be an SDK available for MCE 2005?
A: Yes. We have a new SDK for MCE 2005.
Q: will the TV guide work in the UK?
A: Yes.
Q: Do you know the hardware specs of the PC used in the demo (ATI or Nvidia cards)?
A: For hardware specification on the demo PC please refer to the HP website.
Q: When will MS release the new Energy bliss Theme for all Windows XP users?.
A: No. That theme is only for MCE.
Q: How can I make sure that the October shipment of my Action Pack Subscription will contain MCE 2005???
A: If you are subscribing from a country where MCE is distributed (excl Japan), you can find the MCE 20035 in the October shipment of the Action Pack. It should be in the same set as the Microsoft software CDs.
Q: Where can we buy the new remotes?
A: From an Authorized OEM Disributor in your area.
Q: Can commercials be skipped on pre-recorded shows?
Q: When will MS MCE website be updated with 2005?
A: it is updated at this time
Q: If MCE2005 includes the same security updates as windows xp pro, that would make it insecure correct?
A: It is based on Windows XP Pro SP2 which includes many Security updates.
Q: Are there any plans or possibilities to make MCE compatible with quicktime formats?
A: No. Quicktime is Apple's proprietary format.
Q: Will there be a free limited time evaluation version of Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005?
A: yes at a later date
Q: Will it matter what service pack you currently have on your computer for MCE 2005 to run?
A: MCE 2005 is based upon XP SP2.

Old 12th Oct 04, 10:23 PM
BetaONE Supporter

Q: Will MCE be useable with HDTV and TIVO?
A: MCE 2005 will support OTA digital TV. As for working with TiVo, MCEreplaces the TiVo funtionality.
Q: Can dvd's be ripped from recorded video content on the hard drive?
A: We do not support this.
Q: the DVD writer in the media centre , is it a + or - writer
A: The DVD writer on MCE systems is specified by the system manufacture.
Q: Is there virus protection included with MCE2005?
A: It is not included.
Q: What are the possibilities for connecting a dish so I can replace my satellite-tuner?
A: you have to use the set top box that comes with your dish
Q: Sorry it's a repeat (closed a window) Can an MCE 2k4 PC be upgraded to MCE 2k5??
A: yes if the manufacture gives you this option
Q: Why did you remove domain support in MCE2005?
A: for the media center extenders to work correctly fast user switching is needed
Q: can you use a free to air satellite card??
A: Not at this time.
Q: Can it support more than 2 tuners?
A: We currently supprt two analog tuners and also a single ATSC tuner for a total of 3 TV tuners.
Q: Can Microsoft Partners order only the pack to build and test their own machine?
A: If you order the Microsoft Action Pack for October 2004 (in the 12 countries where Windows MCE 2005 is available), you will receive an NFR copy of this software. Go to microsoft.com/partner to order the Action Pack.
Q: Can you burn recorded TV to DVD with the new burning technology incorporated into MCE 2005?
Q: Will MCE 2005 be available as a retail product?
A: No. MCE is a OEM/System Builder product only.
Q: What about regular extenders? Do those support 16x9 format?
A: The extenders do not support 16x9 at this time.
Q: Is there a number or email we can contact if we have questions after the seminar?
A: refer to our online communities newsgroups
Q: Do I still need a DVD decoder to watch TV?
A: You need a DVD decoder to watch DVDs. You need a TV tuner to watch TV.
Q: Does the unit require internet access?

Old 12th Oct 04, 10:24 PM
BetaONE Supporter

Q: When will MCE2005 be available via MSDN download?
A: Soon!
Q: What are the main differences between MCE 2005 and XP Pro SP2?
A: the ability to record, playback live tv.
Q: Does the xbox extender support 16x9 format?
A: Not at this time.
Q: When will MCE 2005 appear on msdn?
A: not at this time but soon
Q: What is the recommended software decoder engine for MCE. We have been having difficulty with powerdvd. WinDVD 6 seems to work.
A: Please see the compatability list available on oem.microsoft.com/MCEReady
Q: Does MCE2005 support Intel EM64T extensions - or does it just run in 32 bit modes.
A: It only runs 32bit
Q: Is there any planned time yet for MSDN launch?
Q: Why was domain support removed?
A: MCE is aimed for the home/end-user. Why would someone using a MCE computer in their living/family room need to log into a domain?
Q: When will MCE 2005 be available on MSDN?
A: soon
Q: is it just software?
A: and a whole lot more
Q: do I need a new remote to run media center 2005 if I already have 2004 remote from HP?
A: not all functions will be available and the remote will be alot slower.
Q: Why has domain support been removed?
A: Because the media center extender requires fast user switching.
Q: What will be the RRP of MCE 2005?
A: You will need to contact your authorized Microsoft OEM Distributor for pricing. Thanks.
Q: Is there support for Dual HDTV PVR's right now?
Q: Will current action pack subscribers receive wmc in a quarterly shipment?
A: Yes!
Q: where can i get the OPK tools from?
A: OPK tools ship in the 3-pack of Windows Media Center 2005 that you can order from your authorized Microsoft OEM Distributor (the list is at http://oem.microsoft.com).
Q: "Yes but domain support has been removed. " So this means it's basically WinXP Home??
A: No, it is still XP Pro. There is more to XP Pro then just the ability to log into a domain.
Q: Has the performance improved for accessing large MP3 libraries (over 30K files)
A: Yes. That was one of the design features over 2004, improved performance.
Q: When MCE comes in the action pack will the remote control come with it?
Q: Where can I get information on MCE 2005 licensing?
A: Please see www.microsoft.com/oem. The system builder licensing requirements/agreement are the same for MCE as with other System Builder software.
Q: Will MCE 2004 harware be compatible with MCE 2005?
Q: Will offer a feature in the future for recoding the radio to mp3?
A: not being implemented at this time
Q: Can substitute a different software DVD player instead of the standard player?
A: I am unsure of your question. The UI inside of MCE 2005 for playing DVDs cannot be changed. If you are referring to the MPEG2 encoder software you can choose as to which company you license the technology from.
Q: Will you be able to add thumbnail images to videos (similar to album covers)?
A: In 2005 the videos are shown as thumbnails.
Q: Will there be a NFR version of MCE available to System builders not subscribed to action pack?
A: No NFR
Q: So if customers upgrade from 2004 to 2005, their 2004 remotes will not work?
A: they do work but works very slow.
Q: Will system builders be able to buy single licenses of MCE 2005 or will they be forced to buy 3 licenses at a time.
A: MCE is only available in OEM three packs.
Q: Is Media Center 2005 compatible with the Hauppauge WinTV PVR-250?
A: yes it is supported with the WinTV PVR-250-MCE
Q: Why did you not make the on and off button and the windows button in one button?
A: Because that was too confusing to some users and made it too easy for people to accidently turn on/off when they didn't intend to.
Q: Will the videocard and remote controll being sold as a seperate product?
A: They are seperate products.
Q: Explain the Digital Media Feature Pack?
A: It exhances the Media Center experience. What more do you wish to know? Most information is at oem.microsoft.com/mceready.
Q: If MCE will be available in the Action Pack...will the Remote Control come with it?
A: not at this time.
Q: what normal supply chain will be able to buy
A: Microsoft Windows Media Center Edition 2005 is available to OEMs and System Builders. For System Builders, please contact your authorized Microsoft OEM Distributor to order.
Q: IF xbox extender is used, does this not offer the DVD option?
A: Xbox can already play DVDs without the extender.
Q: Can MCE 2k4 PC's be upgraded to MCE 2k5??
A: Yes, you will need to contact the OEM that supplied your MCE 2004 to see if they will be offering the upgrade.
Q: Can it be installed on top of XP home?
A: No. MCE is not a seperate software package.
Q: Are there any other OEMs that are going to provide extenders?
A: The extenders are being offered by HP and Linksys at this time.
Q: Where can I get licensing information for Media Center Edition 2005?
A: On www.microsoft.com/oem under "licensing and anti-piracy" flyout. MCE licensing is the same as other system builder licensing.
Q: Can you have two different seperate tv card such as ATI and Hauppauge or do you have to have a card that has dual tunners built in for the TV to work?
A: you can have two different tuners in the card.