BetaONE will rise again!

Old 21st Feb 04, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator

~*McoreD*~ is an unknown quantity at this point
Dude,

First of all, I should admit that I have never played Quake III Arena you know.

I provided the source code in hopes that you will be able to continue your work, but now I see you have got only VB6.

Thanks for the appreciation, I did it in my lunch hour yesterday..I will have another look today.

I need this thread to be educative and someone can actually learn something out of it. So I will keep explaining the bugs you pointed out.

oh ok wont do 207.44.182.28:27960 or something like that...
As I said earlier, it was taking the IP Address as the file name:
Code:
Dim strFile As Stream = File.Open(Application.StartupPath + "\" + strServerAddress + ".bat",
A file name with a colon is invalid. Therefore a filename such as 207.44.182.28:27960.bat is impossible, and hence gave that error. Oh now I see you have already mentioned it.

also one question the default directories look good..but does it automattically decet the folders or is it just set to that...
The SystemDrive will be detected by the following code. The rest are constants (they can be modified by the user though):
Code:
txtQ3A.Text = Environ("SystemDrive") + "\Program Files\Quake III Arena"
oh and btw the connect part as too look like this to work...has to be in ""
That's easy, you just have to put Chr(34) or four " marks.
Code:
"Start /w quake3.exe +set fs_game q3ut3 +nosplash +set com_hunkmegs 128 +com_zoneMegs 32 +com_soundmegs 32 +connect " + _        """" + strServerAddress + """" + " /prefetch:1"
and this dont even work for some reason Start /MIN Minimizer.exe
That must be an error in your DOS command. I am not sure about it.

[b]Those are just my settings. I need it so the user can do there ony setting.[/b
Since I haven't played Quake II Arena and do not anything about settings, It's hard to figure out for me, which are variables and which are not. I hope you can continue from now on.

All the best,
McoreD
Old 21st Feb 04, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator

Oh, the source code is attached in the above post. Here is the compilied exe just in case.

Once you learn the basic, you will easily code tools like this. Feel free to ask any question in Corder's Corner.
Old 21st Feb 04, 07:11 PM
BetaONE Supporter

war59312 has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to war59312 Send a message via AIM to war59312 Send a message via MSN to war59312 Send a message via Yahoo to war59312
All right cool.

Well I'm going to change this thing some more.

I'm trying to change it so its set by the user. So there is Combobox with different options, I guess.

Low Memory < 128Mb
Normal - < 192Mb
High < 245Mb
Very High < 320Mb

So the user picks an option and then it disaplys it under it like:

Low Memory < 128Mb

com_hunkmegs 100
com_zoneMegs 16
com_soundmegs 8

And then after you make your choice you click save.

Welll I want to save everything I guess to an ini file. Also window postion.

That way next time you launch the app it will have your settings.

But I dont know were to begin. Damn it!!! I suck at this poopie. I hate it!! lol

Think i need to buy a few books. Cant remember crap. haha

But thanks for your help. Hopefully i can figure it out. So thanks for all your help man. Its greatly appricated.

Take Care,
Will
Counter started: April 2, 2003

Download: http://war59312.admuncher.com/download.shtml
Old 29th Feb 04, 12:37 AM
BetaONE Supporter

Send a message via ICQ to war59312 Send a message via AIM to war59312 Send a message via MSN to war59312 Send a message via Yahoo to war59312
Hey,

Just one last thing.

This part.

Code:
Dim strMsg As String = MessageBox.Show("MS-DOS Batch File was successfully created. Do you want to run the file?", Application.ProductName, MessageBoxButtons.YesNo, MessageBoxIcon.Information, MessageBoxDefaultButton.Button1) &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;If strMsg = DialogResult.Yes Then &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;Shell(SaveFileDialog1.FileName, AppWinStyle.Hide) &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;End If
I'm trying to make it just run instead of asking. So no message box.

But having problems.

Could u just post the entire project so i can jsut load it using vb6. Since I dont know what to do with souce code.

Once I get it, it will be perfect for me.

Here is the source code. Same as u posted but edited a little. But sill has the mesage box in it since I cant get it working.

Anyways if u notice sw.WriteLine("ConsoleTool /HIDE")

Hopeing it will look for ConsoleTool.exe in:

C:\Program Files\Quake III Arena

Should so hopefully it will. Yea decided to use a third partty app to do somethings.

Should be the only line i have to add to the script. But since I dont know how to build it and what not then i cant test it out. Just hopeing.

But also for some werid reason now this is not working:

txtScript.Text = "Start /w quake3.exe +set fs_game q3ut3 +nosplash

+set com_hunkmegs 128 +com_zoneMegs 32 +com_soundmegs 32 +connect " + _
Chr(34) + txtIP.Text + Chr(34) + " /prefetch:1"

You know so it puts it like "ipaddress" but its nor working. Damn quake3 says its wrong. Really werid cause it did work. Hopefully i can find out about that.

But u can just leave it for now. If you could do this for me then it really would be pefect as you are involved. Then i should not needed anymore help. As of now the normal script I have wrote is working perfectly now. Just have to click a gay donkey ok button. But thats not your fault either so. Damn person who made the app did not include commadlines.

Also if you know how whcih i dont. Could u just add a autoload check box. That automaticly creates the script and then runs it without having to click the creat button. So right when you run the app.

If not then dont worry about. As its not a must at all. Just thought it would be a good idea. And if does not have to save it either or anything unles u can easly. If not forget it.

So really two ways of using the app u know. So you can run the app and then have to click create script that would create the script then run it. Um maybe not a good idea??? Maybe have that as an option too. Like safety windows or something. Yea that would be cool. And if it could remember your choice. Maybe? Dont know?

Thanks a ton man.

Oh yea one last thing. Think it would just be a good idea to close the app once the game is lauch, just so you dont always have to close it yourself.

Really, realy really really appircated. If your not up to it or just sick of hell of me i complety understand. hehe :P

Anyways I'm still greatfull for all your help on this man. And anytime u think i can help with something just ask. I owe u.

Thanks again.

Take care.
Will

Old 29th Feb 04, 05:04 AM
Super Moderator

To get rid of the MessageBox, just have the code as follows:
Code:
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;sw.WriteLine("@echo OFF") &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;sw.WriteLine("ConsoleTool /HIDE") &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;sw.WriteLine("cd " + Chr(34) + IO.Path.GetDirectoryName(txtMinimizer.Text) + Chr(34)) &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;sw.WriteLine("Start /MIN " + IO.Path.GetFileName(txtMinimizer.Text)) &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;sw.WriteLine("CHOICE.COM /N /CY /TY,4 >NUL") &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;sw.WriteLine("cd " + Chr(34) + txtQ3A.Text + Chr(34)) &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;sw.WriteLine(txtScript.Text) &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;sw.WriteLine("cd " + Chr(34) + IO.Path.GetDirectoryName(txtMinimizer.Text) + Chr(34)) &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;sw.WriteLine("process -q " + IO.Path.GetFileName(txtMinimizer.Text)) &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;sw.WriteLine("cls") &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;sw.Close() &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;Shell(SaveFileDialog1.FileName, AppWinStyle.Hide)
Since I haven't got Quake III Arena, unfortunately I cannot test the compiled application. And you cannot load the project in Visual Basic 6 because it is a .NET project. Here is my Visual Studio Solution for you anyways. Hope that would help you.

This small utility will do nothing more than outputting a MS-DOS batch file like you made:
Code:
@echo OFF ConsoleTool /HIDE cd "C:\Minimizer" Start /MIN Minimizer.exe CHOICE.COM /N /CY /TY,4 >NUL cd "C:\Program Files\Quake III Arena" Start /w quake3.exe +set fs_game q3ut3 +nosplash +set com_hunkmegs 128 +com_zoneMegs 32 +com_soundmegs 32 +connect "192.168.0.1" /prefetch:1 cd "C:\Minimizer" process -q Minimizer.exe cls
You need the correct IP address in the clip board while this application loads. Then the application while get the IP address from the clip board and use it in the necessary location of the Batch File. If the clip does not hold the IP address while the application loads, you can still click Get IP after Quake III Arena outputs the IP address to the clip board and the application will retry reading the clip board and use it. That's basically how the application works so far.

The custom scripting ability is very limited since apart from what you had in your first Batch File, I do not know anything about Quake III Arean Scripts. Can you post all the commands that is possible in Quake III Arena and the order of how to use it? For example:

Code:
C:\Documents and Settings\McoreD>tree /? Graphically displays the folder structure of a drive or path. TREE [drive:][path] [/F] [/A] &nbsp; /F &nbsp; Display the names of the files in each folder. &nbsp; /A &nbsp; Use ASCII instead of extended characters.
Do you want this application to autoload when you run quake3.exe? That may need some Windows Registry modifications or somethign else.

I am going to rename this thread to Project: Urban Terror Script Generator, since this thread has gone far from Copy From Clipboard.

Cheers,
McoreD
Old 29th Feb 04, 06:16 AM
BetaONE Supporter

All right I got you.

But no I wish. /? Just kills the welcome movie. hehe Thats what I use now.

I dont think it support commands lines anyways besides like memory settings. Like I'm using now in my script. That and the name of the mod. and server info. Like what port, ip address, pw, etc. to use. Thats about it.

Instead of using command line you use an autoconfig file that like it sounds is auotloaded every time by the exe and overides are settings.

But no dont care about it auotload when starting quake3. Unless u do.

Think I'm going to install VisualStudio 2003 and see what happens.

Make that Visual Studio .NET Enterprise Architect 2003.

Hey um do u know what the lastest build of MSDN is? I got Oct. 2003 atm. Just wondering if u got a newer one.

Well damn it the Oct. 2003 wont install. Says its the wrong version.

Think i might start caring about this stuff. Hopefully might have a job in thee weeks. Own business with my father.

Well thanks again and good night.

Well:

C:\Documents and Settings\Will\Desktop\Urban_Terror_Script_Generato r_20040220\Form1.vb(249): 'End If' must be preceded by a matching 'If'.

Well supprised it builds. 6.0 would never build if i had an error like that...

Also about the MessageBox. Not working. Still asks. Why? I have no clue.

And thanks for the settings.txt one too. It works but not adding ip address.

It should be it seems to me.

txtIP.Text = System.Windows.Forms.Clipboard.GetDataObject.GetDa ta(System.Windows.Forms.DataFormats.Text)

And its set to output txtIP.Text when you run the app but its not.