BetaONE will rise again!

Old 17th Nov 01, 06:03 PM

modD
Send a message via ICQ to modD Send a message via MSN to modD
i think as long as the ftp is up regularly, 56kers could benefit from it too, cause they can resume for quite some time. and if there are enough servers that hosts the same files, 421 errors could be brought down [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 17th Nov 01, 11:59 PM

Crowdirt
In the not too distant future folks will be quite interested on moving around DVD disks of stuff. There are DVD Writers starting to show up in the Retail stores now. A typical CD of (600 M takes something like 3-12 hrs on a Broadband Connection. A single side DVD holds some 4.7 GB of stuff. There are Double Sided ones around as well. Transferring a DVD on a Broadband Connection is looking like several days. 56K modems will never make it in such a World. All you can do is P-mail actual disks. If you want to do much with DVD's you need a "Fibre" Connection.
Old 18th Nov 01, 12:07 AM
BetaONE Supporter

Bads is an unknown quantity at this point
Just for let you know,

I'm a 56k user and I download about 1 gig per week and I am not connect all the times

Not too bad for a 56k modem ?
Old 18th Nov 01, 12:35 PM

Crowdirt
Hi Bads 1, so that's about 4.7 GB/month. That would be 1 DVD disk. If you calculate what a 56K modem can do, the theoretical max. if you run the modem all the time, is around 8 GB/month. Broadband which is something like 100 times faster should do 800 GB/month or about 1 TB/month. Better, but still not good enough if you want to spend the evening watching Videos.
Old 18th Nov 01, 01:30 PM
zonko

Looks good on paper!!

zo
Old 18th Nov 01, 04:54 PM

WarezRocks is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to WarezRocks
I'm willing to try this. I will limit my server to 1 or 2 anon logins and reserve the rest for those willing to swap server accounts. I am ready for a change, I don't have access to any private servers here but mine has been up 24/7 for the peeps here to leech from for weeks.

I have gotten uploaded:
ATGUARD.BUILD.3.22.1 [1.75mb]
Sygate 3.11 [2.40mb]
WXPH_6in1_en [563mb]
.r21 of Devilsown [15mb]

What has been downloaded:
Server is ALWAYS full... hundreds of GB downloaded [150gb server].

What irritates me? Well over 100 IPs banned [peeps from THIS board] for constant non-stop hammering that sux up bandwidth for those already on. Scores of peeps wanting priv l/p access accounts who do not run servers and for the most part have no intention of sharing with others.
Old 18th Nov 01, 07:54 PM

Megaduce is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Megaduce Send a message via MSN to Megaduce Send a message via Yahoo to Megaduce
Hey what are we waiting for lets get it on dudez.

I've already created a group account on my server called FTPring Who! wants to be the first user added only accepting two user per IP HE he he!!!

Knowledge----is%%%Power

[ November 18, 2001: Last edited by Megaduce ]</p>
Old 18th Nov 01, 08:16 PM

modD
Send a message via ICQ to modD Send a message via MSN to modD
[quote]Originally posted by Megaduce:
Hey what are we waiting for lets get it on dudez.

I've already created a group account on my server called FTPring Who! wants to be the first user added only accepting two user per IP HE he he!!!

Knowledge----is%%%Power

[ November 18, 2001: Last edited by Megaduce ]
<hr></blockquote>

i would [img]smile.gif[/img] but i have to wait for my new hard drive. on top of that, i have to wait until my cable isp stabilizes its connection [img]redface.gif[/img]
Old 18th Nov 01, 08:50 PM

Megaduce is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Megaduce Send a message via MSN to Megaduce Send a message via Yahoo to Megaduce
Hey when you're ready just PM me for access Dude no prob.

Let get PARTY Started right [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]

Knowledge----is%%%%Power

[ November 18, 2001: Last edited by Megaduce ]</p>
Old 18th Nov 01, 09:49 PM

Crowdirt
Hi Warezrocks, just a few ideas to pass along. You, Megaduce, modD have access to my server now. That is a small part of this process. The method I used which was the IP# thingy ment that "Everyone" is Banned to start with. Adding a small number of IP#'s that can access resulted in only those folks trying to connect to the machine. Nobody would hammer away in that case because it is pointless to do that. I suppose you could call the server a "Private" machine, although I prefer to think of it as "Limited Access". All servers on the Net are Limited Access eventually, because the machines do not have capacity to Serve Everyone. So in that sense every machine is ultimately a Private Server for one reason or another. The only issue is finding the right number of folks that the Available Bandwidth can handle properly. Folks have been quite good at uploading to my server, and I added some things as well.

In my case 1 upload serves 6-7 others. Obviously a ratio of a sort. If there was more Bandwidth available then it could be 1:20-30 or more etc. In the end there will always be a ratio, Bandwidth is not infinite.

I have had quite a few folks looking for an account too. I simply put them in a Hold List. My interest is to find other folks that are also FTP Sysops. At the moment I have several. Connecting FTP Sysops forms a "Backbone" that ultimately can support quite a few folks that are not able to run a server for one reason or another. Guess that is part of the "Dream" too.