BetaONE will rise again!

Old 7th Jun 03, 02:09 AM
Administrator

DoG will become famous soon enoughDoG will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to DoG Send a message via MSN to DoG Send a message via Yahoo to DoG
If you havew a second computer and have them both networked it should be possible to boot from an image on the second machine, norton ghost can help you achive this if its possible in your situation

Old 7th Jun 03, 07:34 AM

billybob3
Send a message via AIM to billybob3 Send a message via MSN to billybob3
I think i'll just stick with extracting the image file onto another partition, and installing from there. I've already got the image file on the computer, so there is really no need to send it over the network. THanks everyone for your help...quick responses are great!
Old 8th Jun 03, 05:02 PM

fares
Quote:
Originally posted by ~*McoreD*~@Jun 7 2003, 01:06 AM
Very sorry BillyBob forgot the computer is getting restarted. Doh. :P

This is an easy procedure if you are ready and able (having two partitions at least) to do so. As you are going to install Windows via an Image file, I assume you already got another Operating System (XP?) installed (because the following procedure I am gonna say, required an Operating System).

If I were you:
1. Extract the Image file to a folder in another partition (NOT the partition you are gonna install!)
2. Unlike in Windows NT 4.0, modern OS's Setup.exe runs within windows. So you can simply go to that folder and double click Setup.exe and the setup will launch. (/me doing it while typing this lol.)
3. Choose Advanced Installation.
4. If you click the Advanced button, you will see there are two options Copy the setup files to the hard disk, choose the partition to install. The second one will be already ticked (if not tick it). The first one is no needed as you are already doing it.
5. The rest is self explanatory (hopefully).

Wish you Good Luck!
this is the best way and i do it all the time ,you are right just use daemon and in the advanced option choose copy setup files to hard drive and you could do a clean install from there with a format if you want to ,but the files have to copied to another partition to acomplish format since it is not ganna format the partition which has the setup files.
Old 9th Jun 03, 04:27 AM

billybob3
Well, I couldn't get the computer to start into DOS and read the other drives. I'm guessing that it was probably because they were NTFS partitions. OH well, I just burned a CD and installed it that way without any problems. Thanks for your help everyone!
Old 9th Jun 03, 11:57 PM

SlickVic78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey billybob3,

What was the reason why you didn't want to burn the image to a CD in the first place? Glad to hear you got the installation going (even if you did have to burn the image to CD).

-SlickVic78
  • 80 Gig 7200 RPM Western Digital HDD
  • Lite-On LTR-52327S CD-RW Burner
  • Lite-On SOHW-1633S DVD Burner
  • ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
  • Sound Blaster Audigy
  • Microsoft Windows XP Pro SP-2
Old 10th Jun 03, 05:07 PM

billybob3
Well, I didn't really want to go home, get a blank CD, and then go back to work...I guess I was lazy. That, and I just wanted to try something new. I fugured it would probably install faster if the files were already on the hard drive.