BetaONE will rise again!

Old 4th Jun 02, 12:05 PM

redkitty
I'm primarily a gamer and see no reason to switch from 98 in the near future. I suppose I'll eventually set up an XP dual boot again just to play around with, but there is no proper XP support for my sound card (Aureal), my video card (Voodoo5) or my joystick (Microsoft !!!, for god's sake!). Beginning to see a theme here?
Old 4th Jun 02, 12:13 PM
BetaONE Supporter

rikytik is an unknown quantity at this point
I've assisted people who prefer to stick to Win98SE and even one who insists on keeping ME. Many common applications just do not require moving from these o/s's.

New installs are sure easier in new equipment with XP. I'm 100% XP on 3 machines. No way I'd go back.
Old 4th Jun 02, 12:41 PM

g-string
I use W2K on both my machines. Had XP for a while before I decided to revert to the unbloated version of XP - W2K I'm not a gamer, so that's a consideration, also XP has no drivers for my old laser printer and I'll be damned if I'll buy a new printer for that reason.

g-string.
Old 17th Jun 02, 12:09 AM

XP all the way due to its stability(the look&feel is cool too). if I ever feel the need to use W2K or WinME, etc...i'll do it using VirtualPC or VMware.
Old 28th Jun 02, 02:54 PM

dady
im still using it on 1 HD and w2k sp2 on my main 1
Old 28th Jun 02, 07:33 PM

sigmazeta314
Send a message via ICQ to sigmazeta314 Send a message via AIM to sigmazeta314 Send a message via MSN to sigmazeta314 Send a message via Yahoo to sigmazeta314
I am forced to work with 98 and ME at work where the decision makers didn't want to switch to 2000Pro or XP, at a consultants reccommendation, because "those versions aren't as stable or easy to work with as 98SE".

What a load of crap, I run 2000Pro (SP2) at home and love it...wish I could convince the idiots here...I know more about 2000Pro and XP than that consultant that comes does. He convinced accounting to keep using a DOS based system when a windows based one is available - and better I might add.

Now, every time the system crashes or has an error, they call the idiot adnd have to pay for the phone call in a consulting fee...like $35 / hr.

If they would lisen to me and switch OS's they would not only save time and frustration, but save money as well. Leave it to Win 98 (and even worse with ME) to kill time and money as well as increase stress levels.

later,

Sig Z 314
Old 2nd Jul 02, 06:43 AM

Crowdirt
Hi Folks, according to the Stats on this section nothing has moved for over a month now. Seems to me there is not much interest in this old S/W anymore, or at least nothing "New" that causes problems or is not clearly understood. I expect the Section could be closed down and not really be missed that much....:sleep: :sleep:

BTW, my wife is still running Win95 on the machines in her Kindergarten Class....
Old 2nd Jul 02, 07:26 AM

jimb12k
I am still running Me on 2 computers, and 98 SE on a 3rd-Also on my lappy. I have heard so much about hardware compatability issues and burning proggies not working, that I have just stuck with them. Also, I am constantly upgrading and trying new hardware, and sometimes removing it. Have heard that will cause XP to lock me out. Sounds like a real hassle, and all are stable, so don't see why I should switch, even tho XP looks Cool !
Old 13th Jul 02, 08:39 PM

jerez
me cause i cant get xp to install what a crapper eh
Old 15th Jul 02, 03:01 AM

flashpanhunter
I currently have 4 os on my PC. 98SE, 2000 Pro, 2000 Server and XP Pro. I´m still doing most stuff in 98 and 2000. I guess I´ll be using XP properly in 5 years or so... :-)