BetaONE will rise again!

Old 9th Aug 06, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator

Grzyb is an unknown quantity at this point
PC Reboots on Fitting Of A DVD/CD-ROM Drive
Hi All,

I was given a PC to have a look at by a friend of mine....Basically it had a CD-ROM Drive & he wanted to install a DVD Writer.

He bought a Pioneer 110D & Installed it, when his rig booted-up, on the Found New Hardware stage of the start-up, the Machine promtly rebooted, and kept doing so everytime it tried to recognise the DVD Drive, he then gave up & reinstalled the original CD Rom Drive & this started to do the same thing, everything was working great before he tried the Upgrade of the CD Rom with the DVD Drive......!!!!!

He then disconnected the drive and the rig booted up fine...no problems....he was a bit miffed at this, so passed the rig onto me to take a look....

Sure enough the machine works great, without any optical drive, but as soon as one is put in....constant reboots.....

I have pinpointed the fault to the DEVICE MANAGER settings.....Even though no Optical Drive is installed, it still displays, CD-ROM Drives in Device Manager 3 in fact, 2 SCSI & 1 Normal!!!!!

I have tried rebooting to SAFE mode & uninstalling the Devices from DEVICE MANAGER, but every time I try, the PC just reboots....I turned Auto Reboot off, so that the STOP ERROR was reported, but that didn't bring up any clues when I googled the STOP ERROR,

I have tried another Hard Disk & have successfully loaded WinXP onto it & connected the DVD Writer & ALL IS WELL, so it is not a faulty Drive, but the Original Windows Installation has become corrupted because of the "failed" Upgrade, I suspect it is a "Registry" problem??

Does NE1 know how I can remove HARDWARE Via a Registry Tweak??

I am hoping that Once I can remove the Incumbant CD-ROM Entries from the Registry, It will recognise & Load the correct Drivers for the DVD Drive??

Otherwise it is a Format & Re-Install, My mate would rather not go down that road if at all possible....

Thanks for any advice you can give....

Grzyb

Super Moderator BetaONE

Grzyb@betaone.net

Old 9th Aug 06, 09:31 PM
BetaONE Supporter

roadworker is an unknown quantity at this point
Are there any drives marked with a red cross when you open system management-->storage media?
Old 12th Aug 06, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator

Grzyb is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadworker
Are there any drives marked with a red cross when you open system management-->storage media?
There are no Physical Drives Installed & Device Manager lists 3 CD-Rom/SCSI Drives as being installed, all without any problems according to Device Manager, No Red Crosses or Yellow Exclamation Marks!!!!

But when I boot into safe mode to try and remove these devices from the system, as soon as I choose uninstal, the PC does a BSOD & I need to do a reset.....

I've since installed a second hard drive & loaded windows and all the apps on to it...and everything is fine.....so it's definately a Windows Software or Registry problem, the original hard drive is now a slave drive, so at least ALL his personnel stuff etc is accessable & he can now use the DVD Writer....

Would just like to get to the bottom of why??? I can't remove the devices from Windows without causing a BSOD with the original hard Drive.....!!!!!!!!!

Grzyb

Super Moderator BetaONE

Grzyb@betaone.net

Old 12th Aug 06, 05:57 PM
Retired Crew

Alpine is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Alpine Send a message via AIM to Alpine
Have able the DMA on the DVD in the Device manager !?
Old 17th Aug 06, 09:10 AM

Oldbunny is on a distinguished road
This seems you have in past use say Daemon Tools or Nero or CloneCD or Alcohol and more and create artificial Drive and forget to take them off even just if you at current doen't have anymore one of the software I mention above.

If that is the case then you have open the say Nero or say the Daemon Tools and take off the creation of extra SCSI DVD Drive(s).

This seems is the case.. because attempt to Boot in the Save Mode is Locked and not let's go to.
Safe Mode doesn't support any artificial create drives and Security instantly Lock Boot access!

The SCSI Drives appearance is 100% about that you have an artifical DVD create because so far ONLY the above mention software create such SCSI Drives!
Most of the software creators hardly workin to create NOT SCSI Drives but pure Standard CD or DVD Drive.. where here still exist a big problems with and Only SCSI Drives are accepted.

In the last sentence.. get Open any mention software and check for existance of creation.
If you already have Uninstalled such program you have before.. You need again Install and then get the Extra SCSI Drives OFF.
This is ONLY one way to get them OFF from Your System!!