BetaONE will rise again!

Old 15th Jun 06, 09:53 PM
BetaONE Supporter

lickablepig is an unknown quantity at this point
Mac Powerbook G3 PPC
Is there a mac poweruser in da house?

Need a hand or pointme to where I can find stuff like if macs have a registry similar to windows or bios etc... Googles not been much help atm. I'm total n00b with macs besides knowing most is opposite of windows. Been to a few help sites thought maybe someone here could help.

Going to do an erase and reinstall for my neighbor. Would like to backup some data first & want to view the serial number and other important data thats not available without quite a bit of physical running about.

Anyone online now realtime that can help? Thanks for anything you can school me on.
appreciate it regards,
jiz
("(")_)0

Last edited by lickablepig : 15th Jun 06 at 09:56 PM.
Old 16th Jun 06, 08:51 AM
eh!!

Cyberion is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Cyberion Send a message via Yahoo to Cyberion
I love Mac. abit my current setup is mostly PC, I remember my strong roots. I'll be more then happy to give some direction.
Old 27th Jun 06, 07:59 AM
eh!!

Cyberion is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Cyberion Send a message via Yahoo to Cyberion
NetRestore (like Ghost)
-http://www.bombich.com/software/netrestore.html

to start..
Old 4th Jul 06, 05:32 PM
BetaONE Supporter

lickablepig is an unknown quantity at this point
Small world cybie I actually found that site (bombich) through google along with some nice apple.docs.

Long story short, My housemate managed to break his gf's lap computer. I offered to take a peek & managed to break it even more... now cannot access the "Accounts" module (unders system prefs) just freezes on "now loading Accounts"

Also Safari and other apps won't load as well, dumps me back to Finder or system Preferences. I have access to all the accounts 1 admin and 2 standards. I want to do a clean Install but he can't find his gf's OS X disk.

I've tried single user mode: fsch -fy, no help... running as root, also several cmds, tips /hints... option + command + O + F almost had me there.

I even restored a default NetInfo db to no avail... Ive reset nvram, pram, PMU, blah, blah, blah

I'm now somewhat of a mac addict obsessed with getting it back to original working order. If the dam thing had a burner all would be well since I have dmg images of OS X but cannot make them bootable under windows...

I even aquired DiskWarrior to help me build an iso DVD of OS X. Preparing the dmg image on the mac 1st, then transfering it to PC for a raw write burn using nero and other voodoo...

but still can't get a bootable DVD going. I'll let ya know if I ever fix it...

what I need is someone with a mac to snailmail me a physical disk, a bootable OS X disk....

Then I woul do an erase and Install before my housemates gf returns from vacation. Already backed up all the personal files with windows sharing blah, blah, blah have them on my box... oh yea that was the short story
("(")_)0

Last edited by lickablepig : 4th Jul 06 at 05:35 PM.