BetaONE will rise again!

Old 31st May 06, 02:48 AM

TheMysterio
Send a message via MSN to TheMysterio
Help Reqd. in Buying Upgrading my PC
Hello All,
Glad to be back after long time. I am planning to upgrade my PC. I have arrived at one config now. i am wondering if you can guys can help me out on this

Intel P4 Duo core 3.0 Ghz 2MBx2MB
Intel 945GNTL Motherboard with DDR2 support
1GB DDR2 RAM
Geforce 7300 GS graphics card
160GB HDD-SATA

i am looking for playing latest games at good resolution and Vista capability (AERO)!

Also this Graphics card is somewhere under 100$.. Kindly suggest me if there are any better card in the range of 100$-150$

Thanks you all advance!

Yours,
K
Old 31st May 06, 03:54 PM
eh!!

Cyberion is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Cyberion Send a message via Yahoo to Cyberion
Well.. let me say this....

a brother of mine, bought his computer.. he LOVES Battlefield.. Mech Warrior.. et al. It was all "pimped" out... with a sticker price of over $5000.

The store that he bought it from dropped their jaw at the opportunity to build such a machine.. water cooled.. With a computer its all about how much CASH you don't want to save! heheh.

One of the things that was purchased was a SCSI controller and drive.. just a 30GB or something.. to store your installed games on.

Your current spec looks really nice. congrats!

just the drive size, memory count need to be changed that I can see... MORE mem for games.. 4GB! you want the entire game to be able to load into memory right? not just certain scenes.
Old 31st May 06, 06:30 PM

TheMysterio
Send a message via MSN to TheMysterio
Thx Cyberion for your suggestions!
Old 2nd Jun 06, 04:12 AM

PCTech is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to PCTech
mysetup:
AMD 3700 1MB Cache
1x 320GB HD (8mb cache)
1x 6800GS Nvidia GPU
1x 1GB PC3200
1x Asus MB - can't remember model number
1x AL1914 (acer 19" lcd)
I can't say enough for having a case with 4 or more case fans in it, mine are so soft I can't hardly hear them! I play any game I have (battle field 2, sims 2, tiger woods 2k5 and 2k6, 7 sins, black and white 2) in max details on everything and @ 1024x768 with no hicups on the video card. I'd say go with something a lil more high end like the 7600 or 7900 version, but the 7300 is a damn nice card itself and wont give you no problems.

go with AMD and a Asus/Abit combination, you might want dual core, if you do, then do it right and go AMD, read the reviews intel can't seem to do it right or as good as AMD and there X2 line of chips. Dual core AMD I say 3800X2 or 4000X2. Single core, I still say AMD 3700 w/ 1MB cache (the come with 512 also, get the 1mb version of ANY single core chip if available!)

Most games require 1GB of ram now to run "correctly", I say go with 2GB for now and make sure you leave room for the 4GB later, you wont need it now and you wont need it for vista right away, however you will need it eventually....maybe....

I'm not an Intel fan, i'm just a fan of what I know and what I know works for me. I run my own small business and am an avid gamer, my business PC and game rig sit side by side and both are AMD custom built by me.

BTW dont cheap out on the case, but dont get water cooling or those stupid "phase change" cases either, there stupid and useless! you WILL need 4 or more fans, but have no fear they are NOT loud, my older rig w/ 2 fans is louder than my rig with 4 fans, and the 2 fan unit is further away!

all in all save where you can and splurg on the following:
SATA II Hard Drives with atleast 8 - 16mb cache
Video Cards (7300 -> Higher, ATLEAST 256MB Ram on the cards)
DDR PC3200 for the AMD chips
dont forget the floppy drive!
Old 20th Jun 06, 02:11 PM

Brave01Heart is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi PC Tech

Apologies for barging in on your thread but I'd like to know from PCTech, what quiet case fans he is talking about?

Aprt from the fans for the Intel CPU and ATI display card, I have four other 8cm (80mm) case fans (AKASA I think) and they are quite loud (sometimes sounds like a 747 in my room). I would like to know what make of case fans you are using and what you would recommend?

Regards

Brave01Heart