BetaONE will rise again!

Old 16th Jun 06, 08:17 PM
Retired Crew

Alpine is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Alpine Send a message via AIM to Alpine
M$ mole clarifies Vista statement
Nothing to see here, move along

MICROSOFT INSIDER insider Phillip Su, who yesterday regaled us with tales as to why Vista is late, has dropped us a line to tell us that there really is no drama in his comments.

He was a bit miffed that we summarised his bog as saying that VPs "took things out on the staff".

"That's really not true. What I said was that it was hard to tell the truth to some VPs," Su complained.

We thought that the bog's comment "There remains the whiff of a bygone culture of belittlement and aggression. Windows can be a scary place to tell the truth," indicated that there was a bit of a climate of bullying going on. However, we are happy to set the record straight on that one.

He also points out that while there are 9000 total people working on Windows, only 2000 of those are developers.

Further, Su says: "It's really not true that 'to get the smallest thing done' requires big meetings. What I said was that I had been in a scheduling meeting with a bunch of VPs and GMs in it -- that's a very different statement."

To be fair to, um, us, Su said: "There are too many cooks in the kitchen. Too many vice presidents, in reporting structures too narrow."

He added: "I once sat in a schedule review meeting with at least six VPs and ten general managers. When that many people have a say, things get confusing."

We must've got the wrong end of the stick

Su says he is off the Tablet team these days, although he didn't tell us what he was doing. Microsoft is still saying he is there, but we suppose it didn't update its site recently. He adds that it feels a bit like the INQ adding drama where there is none. You can read Su's blog here.

The INQuirer