BetaONE will rise again!

Old 9th Oct 05, 08:17 AM

*MO* is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to *MO*
Destributing C# Applications
Hi. I recently learnt C# and have a few questions.
I create my applications in Visual Studio .NET, and its a great tool. I manage to create the setup file. So I'm able to run the setup on my machine, to get the program running.

However, if i want to use that same application on a friends PC, which does not have the .NET framework installed, i can't use the application.

Now apparently there is a way to have the .NET framework installed when you run the setup application. Does anybody know how i can do this?

eg : I take my application to a friends PC. His PC does not have the .NET framework installed. When he clicks SETUP, the application will first install the needed .NET framework files, and then install my application, so that he can use it.

Any help would be gladly appreciated.

Thank you

./Mo
Old 11th Oct 05, 07:33 AM
BetaONE Supporter

war59312 has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to war59312 Send a message via AIM to war59312 Send a message via MSN to war59312 Send a message via Yahoo to war59312
I believe this is what you need.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en
Counter started: April 2, 2003

Download: http://war59312.admuncher.com/download.shtml
Old 12th Oct 05, 09:24 AM

*MO* is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to *MO*
Awesome. thanx very much. now how do i use it? he he he he.

Oh by the way. I only started using C# last week. i've been a java developer all along.

I'm using Visual Studio 2003.

So any help would be great

thanx
Old 12th Oct 05, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

~*McoreD*~ is an unknown quantity at this point
Embedding Microsoft .NET Framework to the Application Setup won't be a good idea unless you are distributing it via a CD.

I'd suggest you to try a simple Installer like Inno. In Inno setup script you can have the following code:

[code]
Code:
function InitializeSetup(): Boolean; var ErrorCode: Integer; NetFrameWorkInstalled : Boolean; Result1 : Boolean; begin NetFrameWorkInstalled := RegKeyExists(HKLM,'SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework\policy\v2.0'); if NetFrameWorkInstalled =true then begin Result := true; end; if NetFrameWorkInstalled = false then begin NetFrameWorkInstalled := RegKeyExists(HKLM,'SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework\policy\v1.1'); if NetFrameWorkInstalled =true then begin Result := true; end; if NetFrameWorkInstalled =false then begin Result1 := MsgBox('This setup requires the Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1. Please download and install the .NET Framework and run this setup again.', mbConfirmation, MB_OK) = idYes; if Result1 =false then begin Result:=false; end else begin Result:=false; end; end; end; end;
The installer will detect if there is .NET Framework is installed and the user will be taken to the page where she can download the latest .NET Framework version.

Congratulations on your move to C# from Java.

Cheers,
McoreD
Old 12th Oct 05, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

~*McoreD*~ is an unknown quantity at this point
Visual Studio .NET Bootstrapper
Also check this out.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/do.../bootstrapper/

Setup projects in Visual Studio .NET 2003 can be used to install the .NET Framework with your application, but only if you have installed the optional Visual Studio .NET Framework Bootstrapper Plug-in on your development computer. The Visual Studio .NET Framework Bootstrapper Plug-in modifies the behavior of the Setup project's Bootstrapper property to include the .NET Framework bootstrapper. The .NET Framework redistributable is then packaged with your application; when the user runs the bootstrapper setup.exe, it checks for the correct version of the .NET Framework at install time and if necessary, installs it before installing your application.