PCTech is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to PCTech
Microsoft vs. the RIAA???
http://www.broadbandreports.com/shownews/68132

Quote:
Music Industry Angers Microsoft, Too
Weeks after Steve Jobs slammed them for greed

Posted 2005-10-04 18:34:46

Just weeks after Steve Jobs criticized the music industry for being greedy, Microsoft has apparently walked away from the negotiating table because of music industry demands. Microsoft has now "indefinitely postponed" its plans to launch a subscription service after the labels were demanding royalty fees between $6 and $8 a month per user. The music industry apparently believes they're negotiating from a position of strength?
you know something is wrong when MS walks away from you because you charge to much! I just hope the riaa goes belly up screw them they had there chance multiple times over with the starter of it all Napster, Wal-Mart, Apple, now MS, and THey just dont see to get it, the customer wont pay outragious prices for music! I recall when Walmart said the prices of CD's had to come down or else they would stop selling....This is great, I hope MS goes toe to toe with them and whoops them!

Last edited by PCTech : 5th Oct 05 at 03:33 AM.
Old 6th Oct 05, 03:55 AM
eh!!

Cyberion is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Cyberion Send a message via Yahoo to Cyberion
hehehe... wealthy computer geeks vs. wealthy music executives..

my cash is on the software.
Old 6th Oct 05, 12:41 PM

I just have to think, MS has really no choice but to walk away, after HP Dell, Walmart, Apple, and manymore have walked away from the riaa about the same stuff. I mean after all they are introducing the new PVP-OPM standard in windows vista, which if you haven't heard prevents the viewing of HD Movies and stuff on HD moniters that aren't complient with the PVP-OPM standard. So if you recently upgraded and your monitor doesn't support this, you can't use vista! you will get a nice message that says "Monitor Revoked" all in an effort to prevent piracy. more info later in another post when I get to work
Old 7th Oct 05, 07:13 AM
eh!!

Cyberion is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Cyberion Send a message via Yahoo to Cyberion
wooohhh.. regarding that... standards and piracy stuff is there a url. That is just some CRAZY stuff!! Why would the riaa infridge on technology in fear of their profits.

HELL, more content they can put on CD's all them to offer CD's for even more money. Personally, I'd LOVE to see mp3 or ogg CD players and riaa taking advantage of this technology and putting more songs on each dvd.

I think the populus would PAY 25$ for a dvd of music with all their songs, and 50$ for all their songs and all their music videos in HD format.
Old 7th Oct 05, 03:41 PM

I know testmy.net isn't the greatest source in the world, but PCmag also confirms this!

Quote:

http://www.testmy.net/forum/index.php?topic=8738.0

Most Monitors Won't Play New HD Video
Vista's content protection will block or blur high-def movies on today's displays.

Scott Spanbauer
From the November 2005 issue of PC World magazine
Posted Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Illustration by Harry CampbellIf you dropped a bundle on a high-end computer display or HDTV, you could be in for an unpleasant surprise when you slip your new high-definition DVD of Star Wars: Episode III into your Windows Vista PC. Vista, the next version of Windows that's slated to appear in about a year, will feature a new systemwide content protection scheme called PVP-OPM (see box below). If your monitor doesn't work with PVP-OPM, all you'll likely see is either a fuzzy rendition of your high-def flick or Hollywood's version of the Blue Screen of Death--a message warning you that the display has been 'revoked'.

Think you could avoid this expense by sticking with XP? No such luck. To see HD, you'll have to upgrade to Windows Vista as well; Windows XP's security and driver models lack the ability to support HDCP. Consumers intent on viewing HD discs via their PCs will have little choice but to spring for the new operating system in addition to an HDCP-compliant monitor.

Complete story at PCWorld.com
Check that out....How is that fair to make you upgrade to something more expensive, I think sinse they make us do that, then THEY should BUY EVERYONE who wants one an HD compatible moniter!

Last edited by PCTech : 7th Oct 05 at 03:45 PM.
Old 7th Oct 05, 11:43 PM

Dudelive is an unknown quantity at this point
Well I guess that MS is saying that you will spend more and more money just to start this new way of watching movies or whatever else they decide to use this on or with. It is getting to the point where when a new OS comes out you have to spend BIG bucks just to use the better parts of it. Then the older stuff won't work at all.

I am not too sure this is the better way to go as alot of different things have to be just right before this will work at all. In the beginning it will be hard for people to write drivers for different video cards and add on items.

Go to google and type in the following and there will be lots of information to read when you have nothing to do: PVP-OPM

Thanks
Dudelive