BetaONE will rise again!

Old 1st Feb 05, 09:43 AM
BetaONE Supporter

torataka has disabled reputation
WINXP Copy/Move - So Damn Slow
All,

Here's the #1 problem I have with WINXP, plaguing me even as I type this message. Whenever I copy/move large volumes of files my system slows to a crawl, with no apparent reason. Running Azureus, eDonkey and two FlashFXP sessions I'm still only using 4-20 percent of my processor load; however, even typing this I'm several seconds behind, switching IE windows is slow, menus take forever to launch/pop into view, and I can't use my file manager at all as it won't let me select any items for the duration of the copy/move. What's up with this? I'm using an AMD64 3200+ with 1 GB of Crucial PC3200 RAM, so this shouldn't be happening. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

On a side note, I once saw a "power move" software program that was supposed to accelerate the move process. I haven't been able to find it again, does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks much in advance,

torataka

Edit - I shoud say that even when I'm not running other programs WINXP is still slow at copy/move. Perhaps not to the same extreme, but just as annoying.

Last edited by torataka : 1st Feb 05 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Clarify Situation
Old 1st Feb 05, 03:57 PM
M.I.A.

Zone-MR will become famous soon enoughZone-MR will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Zone-MR
It is likely that the hard drive read/write speed is the bottlekneck here, especially as you mentioned the problem happens when copying/moving large files, in addition to using software like azeurus and edonkey which frequently creates/reorganizes large files.

During the slow down, check your HD activity LED to see if it's constantly accessing the disk.
Old 2nd Feb 05, 02:55 AM
BetaONE Supporter

war59312 has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to war59312 Send a message via AIM to war59312 Send a message via MSN to war59312 Send a message via Yahoo to war59312
For me, this normally happens if you have a hard drive that is 5400rpm. I have the same problem with my 60GB 5400rpm. I just use it for extra backup so not much of a problem that is unless I want to copy a lare file to or off of it then its very slow.

Though I now dont have that problem much since I have moved it to its own raid controler. hehe And for some reason its a lot faster than when its not. Up to 33% faster. Shows up as SCSI Disk Device under device manager.

Though is a lot worst that that compared to my other drives twich both are 7200rpm but also have 8mb of cache instead of just 1mb so then the cap is even larger.

Well thats normally what I have found to be the case.

Though it could be a number of different things. But just thought Id ask first.

Also is the hard drive on a different ide channel than other hard drivers or what.

Is it only certain type of files? Or what about just coping files vs copying folders or both at the same time. Notice any difference? I once had a problem only when coping folders. Some stupid context menu on the folder had currupted the registry so when copying fiolders it would search the folders for avi files. Pretty much as the same avi bug in sp1.
Counter started: April 2, 2003

Download: http://war59312.admuncher.com/download.shtml

Last edited by war59312 : 2nd Feb 05 at 09:45 PM.
Old 2nd Feb 05, 07:04 PM
Administrator

DoG will become famous soon enoughDoG will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to DoG Send a message via MSN to DoG Send a message via Yahoo to DoG
Turn off your AV during the transfer of large or multiple files from drive to drive. Most AV's scan the files as they are being transfered- this increases cpu usage, memory load and transfer times. Of course you need to remember to turn it back on again later!

Old 2nd Feb 05, 09:43 PM
BetaONE Supporter

war59312 has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to war59312 Send a message via AIM to war59312 Send a message via MSN to war59312 Send a message via Yahoo to war59312
Yeap that too. Though F-Prot has no probelms.

It could be tons of different things so will just have wait for a response.

Hopefully its not a sign your hard drive is dieing.

Have you run a S.M.A.R.T check on it lately?
Counter started: April 2, 2003

Download: http://war59312.admuncher.com/download.shtml