BetaONE will rise again!

Old 13th Dec 03, 12:43 AM

PCTech is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to PCTech
I was wondering, how could this be done...A Central Computer or Server is being used by a Company, all the sub divisions will be given control over a region (ie. South East Region, North East Region, etc...) If you have a Database all of the following, Customers (including debt, outstanding projects, services to be done, past work, etc); and Inventory, Vendors, Payroll, Monthly Reports, Purchase Orders, Sales Orders, etc... a whole pot load of them! Would it be better to have one huge database and organize them into tables and what not? Now here is my main question I need help with. I'm trying to develope my own Inventory/Company Management Software Solution. How can a server or multiple servers house the same database containing the EXACT same data, 1. if data is updated transmit it to another site to let them know "HEY WE DONT HAVE 3 of that no more!"? Is there a way to only update changed database records? Would it be easier to use winsock and have commands through that like

Code:
Select Case data case SubtractItem 'code here to subtract said item from inventory case AddItem 'Duh case AddCustomer 'code here to transmitt data and have all regions add a customer
Summary:

Should I use a central database, and allow for updates to be sent through winsock to all other servers as changes are made? Is there an update_changes_only command for a database that is connected to an SQL server? Can you update across the internet? What is the most efficiate programming way to do this? Does anyone know what i'm talking about!? LOL. I was just wondering what everyone thought about this, and I do need some advice on where and how to proceed! Thanks for any and all help

Warmest Regards,
~PCTech

PS. 13 days till i'm off from work for a day!
Old 13th Dec 03, 12:47 AM

Alright instead of editing I will clearify in this post..

Should I have 1 server with a "main" database? Is it possible to have another workstation download this, and then at the end of the day UPDATE ONLY the changes made to that database? If not, then should updates be sent through winsock at the time it happens? What should I use, VB6 (or .net) or Visual C/C++, or even C#? Would SQL Server and a possible web based interface be the way to go and have this thing hosted on the web somewhere? It would be a central interface, updated isntantly, and could have tons of advantages? anyone know where I can go to get started on a possible web based solution also?

What to do? someone help!

Warmest Regards,
~PCTech
Old 15th Dec 03, 01:32 PM
Administrator

JacKDynne will become famous soon enoughJacKDynne will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to JacKDynne
Quote:
Is it possible to have another workstation download this, and then at the end of the day UPDATE ONLY the changes made to that database?
I would think that this would depend upon your connections back to the central server. If you have persistent connections (T1, etc.) then I would just have them run everything off the central server. You could use the terminal services in win2k to provide a common gui to the users. OR it might be easier to go web based, especially if you want to give "anywhere access" with little overhead from your end; it may be harder to develop but you could also use open source (read: free) tools to accomplish this. I just finished customizing a generic web based timesheet app that I got from www.devshed.com and you could probably do something similar using php, mysql and apache to build your db.

Hope this helps some

/JD

Old 28th Oct 04, 08:00 PM

@JD:

Just wanted to let you know, I know it has been a while sense this post started, you have been very helpful! and Thanks for all you have done!

~PCTech