BetaONE will rise again!

Old 8th Aug 04, 09:38 AM

herc
I have version 2149 and now its gone final I want to put the latest version on.(2180) I can see sp2 in add/remove programs surely it's not possible just to click remove and then install the new version ?
Or do I just install the new one over the top ?

Please advise me
Old 8th Aug 04, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator

~*McoreD*~ is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi,

You can easily install the final version of SP2 over RC1 and RC2.

Cheers,
McoreD
Old 8th Aug 04, 12:43 PM
Retired

richardc2000 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
surely it's not possible just to click remove and then install the new version ?
sure it is possible
Old 8th Aug 04, 06:21 PM
Administrator

DoG will become famous soon enoughDoG will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to DoG Send a message via MSN to DoG Send a message via Yahoo to DoG
SP2 RTM will install over previous builds- but i found that some bugs were carried over from the previous builds. For example, on builds 2162 and 2179 i couldnt right click a file without drwatson32 crashing explorer, after an update to rtm the bugs were still there. To uninstall previous builds go to control pannel, add and remove programs, make sure the "Show Updates" checkbox is ticked and then simply chose the sp2 update and remove.

Old 8th Aug 04, 06:32 PM
BetaONE Supporter

war59312 has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to war59312 Send a message via AIM to war59312 Send a message via MSN to war59312 Send a message via Yahoo to war59312
Well you could uninstalled and be faqqed like me. Damn ghost not even working atm. Some damn problem. Going to have to write zeros to the drive I'm sure.

Get a 0x0000007B error which says run chkdsk /r on the drive. Which I have done three times now and no luck. POS

All because I uninstalled xpsp2 2162. Ant that a my love muffin.
Counter started: April 2, 2003

Download: http://war59312.admuncher.com/download.shtml
Old 19th Aug 04, 07:02 PM
BetaONE Supporter

rikytik is an unknown quantity at this point
I did it and they 180 limit remained. I had to do restore an image to get back to pre sp2.
Old 22nd Aug 04, 06:30 AM
BetaONE Supporter

BigHead50 is an unknown quantity at this point
hello BetaONE

I too have had Many problems trying to uninstall sp2 ...

I had the errors that war did, I think that somehow the boot sector is damaged and the only way I could fix the problem was to wipe the drive 4 times...

Before I did that I even tryed to reformat, and every time i would start another windows on the same drive, but different partition, I would get an error for the formated partiton, and windows would run a checkdisk on that partition, and find no errors, But, when I reboot, another error and Checkdisk....????

I even installed xp sp2 final on this partition 2 times, and it would install OK BUT, the next time I would boot after install, it would LOCKup about every 2 times I booted, and would have to hold power button 4 seconds to get power off (Hard Lock)....Even when It would complete boot the system seemed slugish, and unstable....

After I wiped the drive 4 times, (write zeros), I had no more errors, and could install windows again with no problems...

I recomend NOT to uninstall the sp2 RC builds, I recomend just formating or Wiping the drive, then do a clean install of a sliped gold xp with sp2 final, then you should have a good stable OS again...

You still may have some issues with certain programs, but for the most part, the system will be stable, and these problems will be solved when the software makers fix and update there wares to sp2 specs...

I think sp2 handles memory a little different also, and this could be part of the problem also...

I hope this makes some kind of sense and I hope it may help a little...

NOTE: I used partition magic to format, like I have for Years, but had the problems now when trying to format this corrupted partiton after the Uninstall...

I reformated and wiped the drives with Acronis, and It seemed to do a better job, and was very much faster than partiton magic was...

I am still testing these 2, and hope to figure out why I suddenly have had problems with PM...

BigHead50
Old 22nd Aug 04, 03:17 PM
BetaONE Supporter

Bads is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks BigHead for these comments

Windows SP2 is full of surprise

For restoring an image backup made before installing the SP2 Final, I have to disconnect two of my 4HDs

I don't know why but after trying two days, this is the only way I found for restoring my image
Old 23rd Aug 04, 02:09 AM
BetaONE Supporter

war59312 has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to war59312 Send a message via AIM to war59312 Send a message via MSN to war59312 Send a message via Yahoo to war59312
Yeap writing zeros works pretty good. Simply used cleaning tool from Western Digital. Took like 36 hours though. Thats why I have not been online much in the last few days.
Counter started: April 2, 2003

Download: http://war59312.admuncher.com/download.shtml