BetaONE will rise again!

Old 20th Jul 04, 11:15 AM
Administrator

JacKDynne will become famous soon enoughJacKDynne will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to JacKDynne
Just a heads up to others that may be thinking about a similar situation

I have just started a new job and will be putting in a pair of 2k3 Terminal Servers - checked out NLB and clustering in 2k3 and it's not as robust as will be needed when using terminal services - it seems to work ok if you are using IIS (as far as keeping the user's connection alive transparently) but here is the prob:

1. Incoming requests are sent to the server(s) via a round robin method - so the clients don't always go to the server with the lowest load.

2. Once the client is locked into a session that's where they stay - if the server gets tanked there is no way to dynamically and transparently route that user to the other box - they will lose their connection and whatever work they were doing. THis is a problem for point of sale thin clients that may be in the middle of an order. Yikes!

Looks like I will just have to segregate the clients and statically fix them on either box to share the load - dynamically doesn't look like such a good idea in this respect via the out of the box tools from 2k3.

Anyone know of a good way to accomplish what I am trying to do without being too cost prohibitive? I have looked into citrix load balancing but the licensing with M$ alone is killing me

/JD