BetaONE will rise again!

Old 12th Mar 04, 12:27 AM

unicorn is on a distinguished road
Part 5 (last one)

--== Conclusions ==--

Again a lot of days passed by. I have been relocated at work... I have had to be nice to a lot of people for days now, draining my resources... :P

Another reason for beeing late with this post is my problem with Acronis True Image. I have borrowed a copy for a while, and updated it, and updated it again. Now it finally it has reached build 589.

True Image v7.0 build 589
Ghost 2003
BootIt NG 1.60

Three different ones with pros and cons.

As I still haven't managed to get Acronis True Image to run stable (100% stability that is) I ditch it for now. It's true that True Image have some nice features and probably will be the winner next time I compare theese utils. However there are a few applications that must be 100% stable and the backup utility is one of them. To be honest it hasn't let me down really but it sometimes dies, and behaves a little odd. In addition to that it starts services when using it with XP and I don't like that.

Ghost 2003 is the well known one, used by many and still has to leave anyone dissapointed (to my knowledge). I have used it for years and there has never happened anything strange. A winner? In some cases; when you need network support or want to broadcast your images, then you should go for Ghost. This will cost a nifty $70 though... It's not exactly cheap (one license, version 2003 standalone). As described above it has the ability to make a sector by sector copy of an image. Slow but efficient; the restored image will be a true copy of the partition backed up.
Ghost lost the speed battle, BootIt NG was considerably faster. If speed is of importance to you BootIt NG might be an option. The partitions I used in conjunction with this topic are quite small. The time difference will grow as the backed up partitions grows.
Ghost is sometimes conveniant; you can (still in XP environment) use GhostExplorer to open an image file and retrieve/restore single files or dirs (as mentioned above - most of this post repetitive crap)

BootIt NG is the new (to me at least) kid on the block. At the beginning Terabytesunlimited (link in the first post) aimed for a software helping people alter the partition table for multi boot purposes. Then they made it able to make images of partitions. For installing it and use it as a multiboot tool you need to buy a license. You don't need this license to boot from the setup floppy and use it for imaging work only. If it is by purpose or not - I don't know - we can benefit from this. In practise everyone cn visit their site and download a completey free imagemaker. This far it has been fast and reliable. A winner as long as you don't need network support. As noted above I have found the feature of beeing able to save and restore the partition table of the drive very valuable. The interface is ot as slick as the other ones, but when in doubt there is a help file within reach (without leaving the application). Recommended.

This must have an end. A last word: If you use BootIt NG and it doesn't work please report it here - help knowledge grow.

I can hardly imagine anyone reading all this way, but if that happened: Best regards!