BetaONE will rise again!

Old 21st Mar 03, 08:25 PM

jtk
By INQUIRER staff: Monday 17 March 2003, 15:08

AN ENTERPRISING SOUL claims to have taken the bloatware out of the Windows 9X operating system and reduced it from the huge size it was to a mere 40MB.
And that means his PC boots "in seconds", needs no security updates and flies along like the proverbial off the hot shovel.

The chap even posts free CDs and instructions to people who want to try out his SPEEDOS or STREWTH! operating system.

The 67 year old man and his accomplishments has written all about it on the PC Advisor forums.

You'll have to register at PC Advisor but after that, you'll be able to read all about it, here, and the 500 posts that follow the breakthrough he claims.

He says: "Number of files total, programs and system, 1339. The equivalent 98SE uses 9318."

And adds to his claim: "To balance all that criticism of the company, this is a 100% Microsoft system, born out of the 98SE core, illustrating once again just what superb operating systems they are at heart. Eat your heart out Linux companies, you can NEVER achieve this."

But a reader points out this is kind of bloatware itself, and points to this Windows-on-a-floppy project that gets 3.11 down to between 5MB and 10MB. As Eva would no doubt ejaculate: "Sheesh!" µ

From PC INQUIRER

This thing boots in about 3-5 seconds and is was? windows98 se, it can load a 20 mb tiff file in zero seconds these are the claims anyway, have chatted with a new guy that has got it down to 29,7mb now.
I have instuctions how to do it if anybody wants pm me.jtk
Old 27th Mar 03, 01:54 AM
Retired Crew

Alpine is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Alpine Send a message via AIM to Alpine
thx man .. but i already have post it !!!

http://www.betaone.net/forums/index....ST&f=3&t=22207
Old 15th Apr 03, 03:07 AM
BetaONE Supporter

Tomboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi,

Don't waste your time on this. I have attached the entire thread for anyone who wants to read this crap. You will notice that "Flecc" makes a lot of claims and accepts a lot of compliments but doesn't prove he has anything to offer, no screen shots, no links, nothing. Sounds like a scam to me.

Tomboy
Old 17th Jun 03, 03:44 PM

Nichotin
Quote:
Eat your heart out Linux companies, you can NEVER achieve this.
How come i boot my linux off my pendrive? If thats not small then to hell i will be damned. Besides, a stripped down windows means incompatibility anyways, and there havent been many that have proven that they have been able to strip windows that much, and especially not have made it boot from a pendrive.
Old 9th Aug 03, 07:05 PM

doder
claims are now being made about a 4.7 meg win95osr2 installation working. after spending several days on irc reading about other's failed attempts, i have my doubts if this true.