BetaONE will rise again!

Old 2nd Aug 03, 10:10 PM

PCTech is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to PCTech
I called today to get roadrunner business class for my home for 55$ (with static IP address). Now they said they require a cisco router and all that stuff, its scanned when it leaves the warehouse and mac address is logged, so when its connected to the network and the tech comes out to set it up its automatically recognized and static ip address is given. now I knew (past tense) how to setup a cisco router. She said to tell the tech (she = person on the phone i talked to) to disable NAT and DHCP, I dont think either have anything to do with port forwarding. I tried to tell her I dont need her router, I can clone the mac address on my linksys router and just ditch her router, but she said it wouldn't work, I told her she was crazy. I mean maybe i'm wrong but she didn't really seem to be right! she said tell the tech that and you can use your own router to forward ports and all that. My question is, How can I login to the cisco router, I know on the older ones we used in the army there is a backdoor to the router incase the admin password is forgotten, i dont know if it still exists or not. What if they close off some ports required by some programs that I use now? Where can I get a refresher on cisco router configuration. Also on a wireless linksys 4 port router, Can I make roadrunner think that the linksys router actually the cisco router, if I just take the IP Address, Default Gateway, DNS Servers, and all that and put them in on the linksys and mac address clone the cisco router? or would just disabling NAT and DHCP open up all the ports? Refresher Please!!!!

Long Post but Confused,
~PCTech
Old 2nd Aug 03, 10:21 PM
BetaONE Supporter

Sephiroth is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Sephiroth
ok, one at a time:

1) i don't see any reason why you can't use mac address cloning to make the isp's server think your linksys router is a cisco

2) NAT is Network Address Translation. your router gets your public IP, your computer(s) have private IP's, thus, when something gets sent to you, it hits your router, and your router has to forward the port to your computer

3) DHCP, Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol, if your IP is static and you have to manually enter the info, you want to disable this, DHCP is just a way to dynamically assign IP addresses instead of them being hard coded into a router config

4) with your config, i don't think it's possible to disable NAT on that linksys router if it is assigned your static ip instead of a nic in your pc

5) the easiest way to open all the ports at once, if you want to do that, is to use DMZ on your router, just put your private IP, eg, 192.168.0.1, into the DMZ options, and everything will get forwarded to your PC

as far as cisco config goes, good luck, i can't help you there, never used a cisco router before
Old 2nd Aug 03, 10:21 PM
BetaONE Supporter

Sephiroth is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Sephiroth
ok, one at a time:

1) i don't see any reason why you can't use mac address cloning to make the isp's server think your linksys router is a cisco

2) NAT is Network Address Translation. your router gets your public IP, your computer(s) have private IP's, thus, when something gets sent to you, it hits your router, and your router has to forward the port to your computer

3) DHCP, Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol, if your IP is static and you have to manually enter the info, you want to disable this, DHCP is just a way to dynamically assign IP addresses instead of them being hard coded into a router config

4) with your config, i don't think it's possible to disable NAT on that linksys router if it is assigned your static ip instead of a nic in your pc

5) the easiest way to open all the ports at once, if you want to do that, is to use DMZ on your router, just put your private IP, eg, 192.168.0.1, into the DMZ options, and everything will get forwarded to your PC

as far as cisco config goes, good luck, i can't help you there, never used a cisco router before
Old 2nd Aug 03, 10:27 PM

PCTech is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to PCTech
So i should just let them come on over and do there router thing and tell the tech to disable NAT and DHCP sinse i'm going to use my linksys router and just plug that into there router. I guess this would be easier. Then on my router I shouldn't have to do anything. I will make sure it all works before the tech leaves, and if it works, then I'll go and muck around with it so I can get it the way I want it without there router. Does this sound right?

Thanks!,
~pCTech
Old 2nd Aug 03, 10:34 PM
Administrator

DoG will become famous soon enoughDoG will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to DoG Send a message via MSN to DoG Send a message via Yahoo to DoG
Linksys used to have a real easy user\password combo. No user name and the password was admin