BetaONE will rise again!

Old 21st May 03, 07:13 PM

unicorn is on a distinguished road
Ok, I'm totally satisfied: if we are talking about skins then I'm all for letting everybody choose their favourite antigay or antiwhatever look... Lol, maybe we can have more of Nichotin's so well expressed opinions about all sorts of stuff if we get a skin less "gay" here....

Thanky you Zone-MR and Sephirot for making it clear. I also appreciate if we stay away from javascripts and such.

For the moment around 70% CPU-resources are used to show Dog's and E3's signatures. I don't need more things slowing everything down.

Nichotin, now I'll jump away to www.freakforum.nu and check it out...

cy
Old 21st May 03, 07:21 PM
M.I.A.

Zone-MR will become famous soon enoughZone-MR will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Zone-MR
Quote:
Originally posted by DoG+May 21 2003, 04:54 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DoG @ May 21 2003, 04:54 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Nichotin@May 21 2003, 01:35 PM
Well, the current design is light blue, and therefore very gay. In fact the old orange design was better, or even the design before the rebirth, which totally sucked, to be honest. The site loads slower and the layout isnt as good as it could be.

The testdesign over there martin, is sadly enough junk. I hate to say both designs are awful, but why not do something like www.freakforum.nu ? Simple, clean and it loads fast.

Ofcourse, another thing that would be great, let people choose from multiple skins.
Which site runs slower? The test site that Zone-Mr is hosting or this site?

I don't think i have ever seen this site load as fast, sql querys are down to around 1/10th of the time they were on the other host, and all pages are loaded in less than a second for me. [/b][/quote]
Your comparing a quad-proccessor server with multiple redundant backbone gigabit ethernet connections going to diverse locations, with my home pc and my 256kbps upload

CPU load should be the same for both as the backend is the same. The demo I have uses less bandwidth as the HTML is simpler and there are less images. Saying that I think speed differences are negligable. The two certainly cannot be compared on different servers.
Old 22nd May 03, 12:06 AM

E3
Quote:
Originally posted by .unicorn@May 22 2003, 03:43 AM
For the moment around 70% CPU-resources are used to show Dog's and E3's signatures. I don't need more things slowing everything down.
@.unicorn,

Please don't lump my signature into the same category with DoG and Poolman's signatures (no offense guys ). My sig is made in Flash and uses a completely different animation method that takes almost no resource to run (isolate it and check it for yourself). Properly designed Flash animation actually runs lighter than some animated gifs (like you see in a few of the other sigs). Those other ones (DoG's and Poolman's) are java applets, and do suck up the majority or your system resources though (up to 70%!). Frankly I hate them too because of they way they slow up my system too, but you can't 'fight city hall' . I've tried explaining what they're doing to people's computers, but no one else seems to care. Read my post in this string: http://207.44.244.41/~source/forums/...T&f=68&t=24161

All the best,
E3

PS DoG and Poolman... Please don't take this as a personal hit on you guys. You guys are great, it's just the damn applets that are slowing us way down (and I don't think you guys realize just how much) .
Old 22nd May 03, 01:18 AM

E3: Sorry, my mistake - you obviously have a point there and I apologize for lumping your nice sigs together!
I have allready read the post you are refferring to and remember it and you are right.
Me walking away to control panel turning sigs off...

Hey, Nichotin - that might be an ideea - turn the colors off until they are changed into something less gay...
Old 22nd May 03, 02:08 AM

Zone-MR: Sorry for causing this thread partially go off-topic, that wasn't my purpose.

Let's put it back again. I say, don't worry to much about the look, functions and great contributions are more important than the look.

imho
Old 22nd May 03, 02:27 PM

Nichotin
Actually, i was thinking of the loading time on this site, before it changed host. And i was NOT talking about the test setup on your private connection.

Also, you might have noticed that entering betaone.net/forums wont give you the sidebar, thats another thing, the sidebar should be there when using betaone.net/forums

And for the flashy signatures and avatars: turn off signatures in your user cp. and use proxomitron to kill the animation in zone-mr's avatar.
Old 22nd May 03, 04:00 PM

Stringent is an unknown quantity at this point
How about setting up some themes that allow people to choose what they see and how they see it?
Old 22nd May 03, 05:56 PM

Nichotin
I totally agree with flanderz. If people can choose from multiple designs with and without sidebars it would work. You can make 10 designs, and i think atleast one of those ten will work out for people.
Old 22nd May 03, 10:44 PM
Administrator

robinwilson16 will become famous soon enoughrobinwilson16 will become famous soon enough
I really like the plex theme you are working on and was already thinking about making a plex theme for my own site, however I am not that good at graphics and decided against it

I think it would be a nice alternative to the current one which I also like
Old 23rd May 03, 04:56 PM

Nichotin
http://b1beta.zone-mr.ath.cx/forums/...act=ST&f=1&t=4