The next version of Windows will incorporate
Digital Rights Management, preventing users from copying music or video without
permission. Now Microsoft has revealed that it has invested $500m in DRM, which
will allow CD and DVD producers to set limits on how content is used. MPO
International - CD and DVD manufacturers for EMI Virgin, Warner and Universal -
have already adopted the system.

Microsoft launches kit to protect digital rights and push Windows Media
[PC Pro] 12:50

Microsoft shores up copyright and market dominance.
Protecting copyright material in digital form has long been an issue troubling the media empires, who have invested billions in defending their content and combatting piracy.

Microsoft has today announced a new component of its Windows Media 9 Series technologies called the Windows Media Data Session Toolkit that will help protect content and promote the Windows Media format.

The toolkit creates a 'second session' of content that is protected by Microsoft's DRM (Digital Rights Management) technologies. All the content within this 'second session', which can be anything from a simply compressed version of the same content to including extra tracks and interviews, is encoded in the Windows Media 9 Series format. The primary content can be 'locked' to prevent it from being played on a PC.

Dave Fester, general manager for the Windows Digital Media Division, said 'The Windows Media Data Session Toolkit enables PC-based playback of secure CDs and enables distributors to explore new revenue opportunities by creating greater synergy between physical recording formats and content available online.'

It will allow CD and DVD manufacturers to set limits on how this 'second session' content is used, in terms of copying it for back ups, transferring it to a portable device, or sending it across the Web, and without having to resort to the Internet for authorisation.

A spokesperson for Microsoft told us that when a user places a CD or DVD that uses the Windows Media Data Session Toolkit in a PC, only the protected Windows Media content is available.

The Windows Media content will play on any player that supports it - RealNetworks told us its RealOne player supports the DRM technologies of the format.

If the technology gains industry approval, this would give huge impetus to the Windows Media format - especially now that the format is compatible with a variety of non-Windows platforms, such as Linux.

The world's largest independent CD and DVD manufacturer, MPO International, has already adopted the Data Session Toolkit. It makes CDs and DVDs for EMI Virgin, Warner and Universal. Additionally, Universal and EMI, two of the big five music labels, are already on board, as is digital content security company SunComm.

'The second session format is a significant step,' said Larry Kenswil, president of eLabs at Universal Music Group (UMG). 'With its many benefits for consumers and recording artists, Windows Media 9 Series has the potential to revolutionize the industry.'

Microsoft has invested $500m in DRM. The Toolkit was co-developed with technology partners SunnComm Technologies and MPO International Group.

I say....

Microsoft..Get Lost.... :P
Old 1st Feb 03, 03:43 PM
BetaONE Supporter

M31 is an unknown quantity at this point
Sinister stuff from M$ indeed.

I've heard these corporate goons call non M$ conformists "computer terrorists". They need to remember that one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.
Old 4th Feb 03, 04:24 AM

Darkwolven is an unknown quantity at this point
Read my sig man...read my sig. Unless MS pulls the shaft from our butts, Longhorn can kiss it.
Old 4th Feb 03, 05:21 AM
BetaONE Supporter

Sephiroth is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Sephiroth
i've said it before, i'll say it again, the day windows has all of this integrated into it and you are forced to use it is the day i teach my family how to use linux and move all my comps and my familys boxes to it
Old 4th Feb 03, 03:54 PM

craftyc
Quote:
Originally posted by Sephiroth@Feb 4 2003, 05:21 AM
i've said it before, i'll say it again, the day windows has all of this integrated into it and you are forced to use it is the day i teach my family how to use linux and move all my comps and my familys boxes to it
Why not just move now?
Old 8th Feb 03, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator

~*McoreD*~ is an unknown quantity at this point
I read something very much related to this in the APC Magazine. Yes that's true then: on the next version of WMP M$ will not let us to copy music to the HDD unless we choose to use DRM. Damn! I will have to stick with WMP9. Or else then, I would go to something else -- god knows.
Now that M$ has given us the opportunity by popping up a message box to re-choose the format settings when encoding for the first time in WMP, who knows it is a trick by M$, for them to know how many people not using DRM? Anyways, the future is gonna be challenging.
Old 17th Feb 03, 01:30 PM
BetaONE Supporter

rikytik is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey, I just downloaded my first wma from Kazaa that incorporates DRM. If you try to play it, it takes you to a MS site concerning DRM. (not even using Media Player to play it. Can't open it in an editor like Sound Forge, or Goldwave. Can't convert it with a typical converter.
Old 17th Feb 03, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator

~*McoreD*~ is an unknown quantity at this point
Well dude, then you got the same problem like I got: http://www.betaone.net/forums/index....360&hl=decrypt
Well it will not be big deal for ya, as you will be able to find the same song unencrypted.
Old 17th Feb 03, 03:13 PM
BetaONE Supporter

rikytik is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for referring me to your thread from months ago that I missed. Hadn't paid attention and rarely--never--use anything but mp3, so it was a big surprise! ...on the heels of all the chatter about DRM in general. <heh heh> It's my impression not many people have run into the problem in any significat way--but I guess it's coming. Although there are counter currents since theoretically you can't play such a file on your own pc's--desk top + laptop, for example.