BetaONE will rise again!

Old 3rd Mar 02, 01:32 PM

Darkwolven is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't know. It seems a bit like the "elite" thing which is a bit pompous IMO and doesn't mesh well with the premise of this place. It is not a bad idea, but if you leave out the little guys you will possibly alienate yourself and once everybody inside the ring has everything shared what is there left to do?

I could understand how some people would get tired of getting hammered, but IMO it is just part of the risk of running a server. What I don't get though is when I was running my server 100% public, I never had people hammering. Instead, I had a guy hacking me. LOL

Also, there have been times when I have tried connecting to some popular servers around here to find they were down. It is easy to say, "I'm in" but I honestly feel that many people can't truly run a server 24/7 or don't know what is involved. I would do so myself, but my kids play on this machine as well. I do home schooling for myself on this machine, game, etc. I can't have my server up 24/7 even though I have a fast 1500/500 kbps line now.
Old 4th Apr 02, 06:20 PM

RedBully
actually we have given it a little test round on our FXP board, but it didn't work out as we had planned it...

It kinda sucked... After a while everyone was getting the same releases, and noone wanted to share anymore...
Guess some ppl are just to selfisch to help out other ppl...

Of course I can understand some of them. Me for instance... I have a max upload of 1.5 GB a month, and a max d/l of 8.5 GB. Plus my speeds are capped like hell. I'm on a full duplex 10 mbit line, but my isp cuts my speed at 700 K d/l, and only 15 K u/l. (yeah my isp sucks)

But I found a solution for that.... I have access to a huge ftp (appr 80G at university (fast lines guaranteed!!!), so I shared that one with the members of the ring.

I kept logs of all ppl, and I had access to the ip's of the ppl that logged in to the board. (I was an admin there) and after a while I noticed that unknown ppl logged on to my dump server, so I cancelled the whole thing...

Now we're back to normal pubbing, and I have to say it's much better!!! Of course the RING thing sounds great! I have to admit. I fell for it too... but we gave up after 6 months of testing...

Anyway, if someone said about the same thing in here, I'm sorry.... I guess I'm just too lazy to read everything that has been posted on this topic...

RedBully
Old 5th Apr 02, 07:27 AM

Crowdirt
Hi RedBully, check out the Thread "Crowdirt's Server" on how to control IP#'s that access a FTP Server. My server does not allow unknown users to get connected....ever.
Old 5th Apr 02, 08:01 AM

unicorn is on a distinguished road
However that thread is to be searched for in vain. I tried some different ways of search it. Unlocateable.

.unicorn

[quote:87b019af3d][i:87b019af3d]Originally posted by Crowdirt [/i:87b019af3d]
[b]Hi RedBully, check out the Thread "Crowdirt's Server" on how to control IP#'s that access a FTP Server. My server does not allow unknown users to get connected....ever. [/quote:87b019af3d]
Old 6th Apr 02, 05:02 AM

Crowdirt
Hi .unicorn, the "Crowdirt's Server" Thread is part way down the first FTP Help Section page. Been there for quite a few months now. Have another look when you have time....
Old 6th Apr 02, 08:28 AM

Yes, I can see it now. Embarrising for me. I used the searchengine and failed, didn't try the simple way - have a look (use your eyes man) in the forum. Anyway I'll go there and do some thinking. I run a small sluggish server and the last days there have been strange logins which I do not feel comfortable with.

.unicorn

[quote:b0f37e4024][i:b0f37e4024]Originally posted by Crowdirt [/i:b0f37e4024]
Hi .unicorn, the "Crowdirt's Server" Thread is part way down the first FTP Help Section page. Been there for quite a few months now. Have another look when you have time.... [/quote:b0f37e4024]
Old 6th Apr 02, 09:43 AM

My stupid little place is now undergoing some policy-changes due to the knowledge I got here. Thanks all.
Old 6th Apr 02, 08:05 PM

RedBully
[quote:1608c82ed9][i:1608c82ed9]Originally posted by Crowdirt [/i:1608c82ed9]
[b]Hi RedBully, check out the Thread "Crowdirt's Server" on how to control IP#'s that access a FTP Server. My server does not allow unknown users to get connected....ever. [/quote:1608c82ed9]

hmm you might try that... but there is a problem when ppl are on DSL or even have cable with dynamic IP's. I can block out all ip #'s, and allow entire ranges on my ftp, but what do you do if they give out the info to someone that is on the same range. Anyway, I've seen it happen, and I don't wanna go through all this trouble again.

Anyway, I still like the idea, and I fully support it, but I can't see why you would d/l from someone at 30 K if you can get it from another server at 300 K
The best solution (imo) is running a direct connect hub somewhere, and give everyone a login/pass for the hub. I've seen that happen on several other boards, and it seems to work out for them. Plus it's a nice replacement for an FTP server...

Anyway, I hope it'll all work out for you, and I'll keep watching this thread...

Peace,
RedBully
Old 6th Apr 02, 10:35 PM

modD
Send a message via ICQ to modD Send a message via MSN to modD
I can't believe this thread is still running
Old 7th Apr 02, 03:31 AM
Super Moderator

Dijital is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Dijital
ok, so guys if this FTP ring is real let me know, and I'll my server to the list as well, just PM me with and for all the details.