BetaONE will rise again!

Old 25th May 02, 05:13 PM
dooley886

Services are programs that run when the computer starts up and continue to run as they aid the operating system in functionality. There are many services that load and are not needed which take up memory space and CPU time. Disabling these services will free up system resources which will speed up your overall computer experience. I recommend that you sort through the list and read the descriptions to decide if you need that service depending on what you want to do with your computer. Remember, you can always turn the service back on if you find that you need it in the future. Below is the procedure to turn off a service.

Click the start button.
Select run from the bottom of the right column.
Then type services.msc in the box and click ok.
Once the services window has loaded we are ready to turn off unneeded services.
For instructional purposes we are going to turn off the Portable Media Serial Number service.
Find this service in the list and select it with the mouse.
Right click and select Properties.
Once the properties windows has loaded locate the Start up type drop down box and select disable.
Then just click ok and the next time the computer starts the service will not be loaded.
Old 25th May 02, 10:24 PM

Leech
Send a message via ICQ to Leech
Running msconfig and selecting Selective Start up will do the same thing - With that turning off services I have found that somehow somewhere you still need to have some running for not knowing which ones to turn off and just turning off any of them will cause problems.

I can remember when I first did it - I followed instructions that were given, it went pretty good, until I rebooted - I found that certian things would not work, and it did'nt make any diff in speed.
Old 7th Dec 02, 05:05 PM

Anusha is an unknown quantity at this point
Poor Leech.

BTW, I didn't know about services.msc and thanx for saying about this. I use an AMD K6-2 and it takes too much resources by Windows. I hope this'll lessen up the load.

MSCONFIG is not that bad, but I don't like it much <_<