1 1.10%
0 0%
20 21.98%
8 8.79%
14 15.38%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18th Oct 01, 09:50 PM

Bluemann
Got a new Motherbaord and CPU....Asus Motherboard, and a 1.4 GHZ amd athlon. now the temp of my MB average in this room is 26C/78F and the temp of the cpu is 60C/140F....is this good temp? or should I get more fans in my comp?
Old 19th Oct 01, 02:19 AM
BetaONE Supporter

BigHead50 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thats a little warm, but you should be alright up to about 150F, but all chips act different.
I suggest never get over 120F just to be safe and make computer last longer.
a fan placed to blow directly on you cpu fan and heat sink will sometimes do the trick, without having to buy a larger heatsink/fan.
You can usualy make a small bracket to hold the fan or just hot glue the fan in place as this will work well to hold fans in place.
Hope this helps
SeeYa
[img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 19th Oct 01, 06:38 PM

Bluemann
thnx alot
Old 26th Oct 01, 12:20 PM

razor
You might also want to put some heatsink compound jell between the chip and the heatsink. This compound allow the heat to decipitate more effectively.

RaZoR [img]smile.gif[/img]

P.S. You can get this at Radio Shack
Old 26th Oct 01, 10:12 PM

Bluemann
Yes, yes I have a heatsink already as most people do with thermal grease...it's a coolmaster, approved by amd, and I have 4 case fans creating a current through my case, same temps though
Old 27th Oct 01, 11:49 AM

greasemonkey
Check the internet for a review on your heatsink just because it's approved doesn't mean its good. Also I have found good case flow to make a huge difference, make sure none of your IDE cables are blocking flow. Exhaust fans seem to be more important than input. Cheap power supply's are really bad beacause they create alot of heat right over the cpu, I use an enermax that has a fan right over the cpu.
One final note AMD says the Athlon core is good to 95C so I wouldn't get to hyped up about it. True it probably will last longer if you get the temp down but then again not to many people keep the same CPU for more than a couple years anyway.
Old 27th Oct 01, 01:45 PM

[SiN]
As I see it your temps are a bit warm for your CPU, not bad, but warm. First thing I would check is to see if your HS is on correctly, and not leaving a gap between the CPU core and HS.

When you applied the thermal paste, did you use just a little bit. Just enough to cover the core with a little thin layer, too much can cause a worse heat transfer.

Are you using a shim (Spacer) between the CPU and the HS? If so, I would recommend taking that off. Shims are good only if the thickness is pretty much exact. If it's too large, it can cause the HS to not touch the CPU core. I have heard of more problems then what they are worth.

Now regarding the fans... Do you have the fans set up in a way that there is no dead air? What I mean is all the air moving in the case. Dead air can cause your temps to be a bit warm.

And about the temp again, you are fine, but the lower you can get it the more potential there is for a longer life.

Good luck,
Lucky
Old 27th Oct 01, 10:05 PM
bobf9999

There is a great thermal paste called Artic Silver. It is a silver suspension that improves thermal transfer. The directions that come with it are very specific on how much to use and how best to spread it around. It should help lower your CPU temp a bit.