BetaONE will rise again!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 14th Aug 03, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator

adams is an unknown quantity at this point
Ok I asked BetaguyGZT (from ieXbeta) if it was ok to post it here and he said it was ok (here is the pm from him):
</span><blockquote><span class="smallfont">Quote:</span><hr size="1" />Originally Posted by
Sure. I'll pop over sometime this weekend and sign up, then post the tweak. In the meantime, feel free to post it. Just make sure my name is on the headers, and copy this message to show my permission was given.

Thanks for asking. You're a class act in my book.

Cheers
<hr size="1" /></blockquote><span class='postcolor'>

Okay, here we go. The Super-detailed tweak guide for getting XP (could work on Win2k as well, with some slight adjustments...win 9x systems follow the alternate procedure for their systems, and I'll try it myself to make sure it works) to use the least amount of resources possible. I've arranged the guide according to category, along with a few more to give you some additional options (like getting desktop icons and a clock, or using something other than progman for a shell).
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Procedure 1: The Ultra-Minimal Tweak for XP:http://board.iexbeta.com/ibf10/index...ic=27545&st=30

1.) Download ShellOn and set it as your shell.

2.) Add Explorer and Progman as Shell Entries. Add additional shell entries as needed/desired. A lot of people like LiteStep, Hoverdesk, Aston, whatever...set those entries now or later if you want.

3.) Perform the System Services tweaks, and run whatever tweaking program you normally use as well. Run MSCONFIG and disable whatever startup items you want (besides the critical ones). Perform any other tweaks you feel are necessary to gain speed and reduce memory consumption. You'll know if you screw it up because windows won't function properly.

4.) Reboot and set progman (or your shell of choice) as your current shell when ShellOn asks you which one you want to use. You can even add more shells now, if you like. I have tried setting cmd.exe (the command prompt) as shell, and it works fine. Just remember your command-line options for shutdown and getting around your machine! AH, the good old days....

5.) Continue minor tweaking to get the memory useage where you want it. I have personally achieved a peak consumption of 60 MB with Windows XP Pro. (Screenshot here.), but at the cost of my chosen interface (ObjectDock). Yours may be higher or lower depending on how many system services and processes you've got running. Remember that Task Manager uses 5.5 MB when running, so your memory consumption normally will be about 5 MB lower than what TM says when you close it. I'm not counting that though, on my system, because i have no other way to verify it and I don't deal in guesses. * :P

6.) Enjoy XP getting out of your way and running in near real-time mode!

Procedure 2: Win 9x Systems:

1.) Download and install ShellOn just like you would in XP and 2k. To the root of the drive, in a folder of it's own. Set ShellOn as your shell. Add explorer, progman, and whatever other ones you want as shell entries.

2.) Run MSCONFIG. Disable unnecessary/unwanted startup items. The more the better, as 9x systems are crap when it comes to multithreading. WinME handles things a LITTLE better, and this tweak does wonders for it's stability. (95 and 98 has the benefit of being able to run in real-mode...so it REALLY responds like lightning after the process is done...)

3.) Defrag and Scandisc. You'll get a 35% performance improvement.

4.) Disable ALL Ram optimizers. They will only slow you down. Once Explorer is put to sleep, you won't need them anyway....

5.) Reboot and set your shell of choice as current shell. Progman will use the least amount of memory, while Hoverdesk and other shells will give you a taskbar and systray and stuff. Personally, Progman is the way to go. Small, fast, and functionally sound. 95 and 98 will reaffirm that they both were, in fact, built upon Win 3.1, because the performance and stability will be top-notch even on old machines...this would be a good way to get that old 486DX2 machine of yours useable again...throw 95 on it in Ultra-Minimal mode and watch it fly like it did when we first got it...

6.) Enjoy the lightning fast and rock-solid stability. You'll wonder how you survived the 90's...

(results of testing: Works great !!! Need I say more?)

Now for the goodies.

Desktop X: hangs a bit at loading objects/themes, but will give you good eye-candy and decent speed on machines that would normally not run it well. No start menu or systray, but will deliver the goods.

ObjectBar: For those who absolutely NEED a start menu and a taskbar, this is the way to go. OB's stability is still hazy but better, but the systray still won't function. You still need progman though for this one, as OB can't operate on it's own accord due to it's needing SOME kind of shell around it. So consider this an add-on.
(Correction: After playing with some of the themes, I got the taskbar feature working.)

Hoverdesk: Old hat for HD. No problems, runs like a champ anyway -- in the UM environment, runs even better. Fully functional no matter what.

Aston: Same here. Aston runs no matter what. A good choice.

Talisman: Talisman behaves strangely as it is....does okay in the UM environment but isn't all that stable. Not recommended.

Litestep: The old standby. LS runs perfectly in the UM environment. You might even notice it's a little "perky" now...another good choice.

Command Prompt/DOS Prompt: Back to the good old days. Think of running DOS 6.22 with wallpaper. Good for the old-schoolers (like me). *

IconX (for Desktop X): This one is an oddball. Runs fine by itself, and will give you a desktop right-click menu. Use this is any setup if you want Desktop Icons with a good amount of eye candy. Personally tested and approved for standalone use.

Cygwin: Now we're talking...without the explorer overhead, Cygwin performs MUCH better. A whole LOT better. I'm planning to make this a permanant shell entry.

VMWare/Virtual PC: Oh, my. A Multi-box. Who'd a thunk it? VMWare and VPC work SO much better than before. Course, you're not using YOUR hardware...but a good choice for those who want the ULTIMATE in flexibility. And when using the UM tweak on the client installs, they perform better too. A GREAT choice. *

EDIT: Tested some more add-ons.

Sysmetrix: Not recommended....YET. Development is continuing at breakneck speeds, and plans are in place for adding shell integration into it, and some new features that will change SysMet's status in this matter. Keep your eyes open...Otherwise, it's a GREAT replacement for your clock and system monitoring for the tweak. I'm using it as such currently (because I HAVE to see the time lol...)

Samaurize: The king. There is SO much that this program does...Not recommended as your shell; but instead, use it like you normally would. Runs better than ever --- not that there was anything wrong with it...

SmartBar XP: No start menu, taskbar or systray; as it uses explorer hooks. Good program otherwise, but not appropriate for the UM Tweak.

WindowBlinds: Does fine. Dosen't skin Progman's outer window...

Style XP: Behaves rather erratically without explorer...like it's confused. Does it's job tho, but WB is more appropriate as it don't need explorer.

There you have it! Anything you might want to try and that you feel safe doing, knock yourselves out. Tell me how it goes. *

For more info and the discussion about it go here:http://board.iexbeta.com/ibf10/index...howtopic=27983
Canon 100-400mm L IS USM
kit lens
Sigma 70-300mm APO DG
Canon 430 EX Speedlight
Dynatran Tripod
Lowepro Mini Trekker AW backpack