Fun Distributions
Old News
Related Links
Mirrors: Australia, Italy
The Distribution Game
The Sorcerer Review
About DistroWatch

Introduction
This site is an attempt to provide a basic feature list and a package comparison table of the major, some minor and regional Linux distributions. Each distribution has a more detailed page - the icons serve as navigation buttons. The site is updated daily with news from the Linux distribution and application development world. Please avoid viewing it with Netscape 4, which has non-standard CSS support. I have tried my best to make sure that the information provided here is correct, however, if you do find any errors, please let me know and I will correct them promptly. Suggestions are also welcome. Enjoy your stay and come back again!

Back Again!
Freshly back from our honeymoon - it was great, but all good things normally come to an end, right? Thanks everybody for all the kind messages, we really appreciate them. I am going to spend the next few days updating this site so that it is the most up-to-date Linux resource available. I haven't touched a computer keyboard for nearly four weeks, so if you wish to send in a quick email with the latest news, please do so. I will try to reply to all email during the weekend. As always, all visitors and feedback are most welcome!

Latest News and Updates
2002-03-05 LinuxWorld reviews Sorcerer GNU Linux: "Sorcerer allows you to build and maintain a Linux system based on the very latest stable source code for each component, from the kernel to X, compiled on and for your machine. Unfortunately, Sorcerer's magic might vanish soon." With the increasing user base of this distribution and the associated pressure on the original creator and maintainers, the software database (grimoire) is going to be maintained by volunteers. The logistics of this transition period are still being worked out and you can check out the discussion on the official mailing list and the recently created Unofficial SGL Forum.

2002-03-04 Stampede Linux ceases development: "Well, unfortunately this year hasn't turned out as productive as we originally hoped. It is with regret that I inform everyone that Stampede Linux is ceasing development for an unspecified amount of time." The full sad story is on the Stampede's web site. The depressing news item lacks any vision, but to sum it up - there has not been a new release of Stampede Linux for over a year and there won't be any for some time to come, if ever. The last version (0.90) is still available for download and supported on IRC. Is this the end of another distro?

2002-03-04 Mandrake 8.2 beta 4 has started to appear on mirrors. Includes Linux Kernel 2.4.18; the basic package list is now available on the Mandrake page. The three CDs download locations: MandrakeLinux-8.2beta4-CD1.i586.iso (682M, MandrakeLinux-8.2beta4-CD2.i586.iso (681) and MandrakeLinux-8.2beta4-CD3.i586.iso (680M. More information on testing Mandrake beta releases, bug reporting and other issues can be found in this Mandrake Forum article.

2002-03-03 A couple of new reviews of the recently released Libranet GNU/Linux have been spotted. TuxReports writes: "I decided to keep the Lbranet distribution on our 32 MB SDRAM system for a few reasons. First, it is a fast system. Second, many of the systems in this house are based on Red Hat. It's good to have a Debian one around. Plus, this Debian distribution is very easy to use. The menus are logical and applications loaded properly. In fact, baring the lack of RPM support, I've been pleased with everything in this distribution. The XAdminmenu are helpful and usable." The other review, written by Linux Step By Step concludes: "For US$50 (US$30 if you bought an earlier release) plus postage you get a very slick Debian. There are a few rough edges, but they are manageable. It boots up faster than any other Linux I have experienced, and KDE 2.2.2 also starts fast. This is an excellent distribution for an RPM'er who wants to give Debian a try."

2002-03-02 Peanut Linux 9.2 reviewed by Linuxdot: "Choice is good. But Peanut you could have done so much more with less choice. Peanut could justify they've gone for a balance between small and catering for more user's needs. But frankly the two don't sit well in my opinion. A sort of, you can't have your cake and eat it." The complete review and relevant links: Peanut Linux home page, screenshots, package list and downloads: small.iso (163M, large.iso (704M and extra.iso (151M.

2002-03-02 ROOT Linux release 1.3pre2 announced: "Version 1.3pre2 released. This release fixes the annoying libpng/GNOME error and upgrades many packages. This is a PREVIEW RELEASE. It is not yet considered stable. Please download it, test it and report all bugs you find by mailing me." Links: ROOT Linux home page, installation instructions, FAQs, screenshots, package list and download: rootlinux-1.3pre2.iso (544M. The basic package list is on our ROOT Linux page.

2002-03-02 ExtremeTech reviews Lycoris Desktop LX: "If you're new to Linux, you will quickly learn that combining Linux with the KDE desktop environment yields the most configurable operating system that exists. It is totally up to the user to decide what to use, what is automatic, and what isn't. The user also decides on all graphical content for background images and window styles. The look and feel is in your hands. You also have total control of security, updates, access, and which programs start when the system is booted.." The full review and screen shots here.

2002-03-01 Libranet GNU/Linux 2.0. Starting to catch up with all the interesting releases during our break. After the failures of Corel, Storm and Progeny, Libranet is the only debian-based Linux distribution currently available. All the details of the 2.0 release are on the Libranet page and this version was also included on the Major Distributions page for easy comparisons. No free downloads at this time, the product costs US$45 (download) or US$55 (2 CDs + installation guide + shipping); a US$20 discount applies to users upgrading from previously purchased versions. For more information, consult the Libranet product page. A very brief review of installing Libranet 2.0 has been published by the Linux Journal.

2002-02-01 Xandros in the news. Another newcomer with strong beliefs in Linux on the desktop, Xandros is launching its first beta program. The Xandros Desktop OS, based on Corel Linux, is expected to launch in May. The distribution is presently looking for beta testers, so if you are interested, you can apply here. Some recent articles about Xandros include Xandros readies Corel Linux distribution by NW Fusion and Xandros launches Xandros Desktop 1.0 beta program! by DesktopLinux. More links: Xandros home page, Xandros Desktop information, FAQs and company overview.

2002-02-01 NVMAX.com reviews Sorcerer GNU Linux: "I like this distribution! Although there are many questions I have about it, it is a good, solid Linux distribution; it is not for the Linux newbie. It did show me that I am more comfortable in Linux then I thought I was. I was able to get everything up and running." You can read the entire review, complete with screen shots, installation guide and some reviewer's suggestions on the MVMAX web site.

2002-01-31 The Linux Weekly News: "Mitel Networks announced the immediate availability of version 5.1 of the (e-smith) SME Server V5. This version of the SME Server has several new features, including Windows 2000 and XP domain logons, User quotas, USB printer support, and more." The announcement and download: smeserver-5.1.2.iso (280M.

2002-01-30 Caldera OpenLinux 3.1.1 released. Both Workstation and Server are now available for purchase (US$99 for Workstation and US$249 for Server) or download. Caldera's official announcement and ISO image downloads: OpenLinux-3.1.1-workstation-CD1.iso, OpenLinux-3.1.1-workstation-CD1a.iso, OpenLinux-3.1.1-workstation-CD2.iso, OpenLinux-3.1.1-server-CD1.iso, OpenLinux-3.1.1-server-CD2.iso and COL-i18n-CD.iso. Unfortunately, the Caldera FTP server is already overloaded, so downloading from mirrors, once they are updated, might be a better option. Visit our Caldera page for more details.

2002-01-29 ROOT Linux release 1.3pre1 announced: "This is a PREVIEW RELEASE. It is not yet considered stable." Designed for advanced users, this release is the first distribution to include glibc 2.2.5 and XFree86 4.2.0. Links: ROOT Linux home page, installation instructions, FAQs, screenshots and download: rootlinux-1.3pre1.iso (551M. The basic package list is on our ROOT Linux page.

2002-01-27 Mandrake 8.2 beta 1 announcement: "Since there is not enough snow to take some skiing holiday right now, and movies season is over, neither we nor you have anything better to do than test the hell out of this beta, and make sure the Mandrake Linux 8.2 final wipes all the remaining doubts about "the best OS of 21-st century"." Read the amusing announcement with listing of new features, then head for the Mandrake download page to look for an updated mirror. To save you the hunt, quick links to the two ISO images: MandrakeLinux-8.2beta1-CD1.i586.iso (664M and MandrakeLinux-8.2beta1-CD2.i586.iso (664M. Our Mandrake page has the basic package list for your reference. Have fun!