BetaONE will rise again!

Old 9th Mar 02, 05:00 PM

magrute
i have just had adsl hooked up and i can't seem to connect to my server. i am using dns2go and the client says everything is ok!i can ping my domain and it leads to my ip and if i do a trace route or reverse lookup it finds my domain name so i know my dns2go client is working fine but just can't connect with an ftp client but i can connect through a local ip.
HELP!
Old 10th Mar 02, 01:26 AM
BetaONE Supporter

Cactus is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Magrude,

Initialy I had the same problem, and I resolved it tuning my DSL modem a bit. By default my DSL modem didn't have a default server, so incoming request weren't send to my internal servers.

Feel free to let us know more about your situation, but provide things like IP addresses by PM please, you don't want your connection flooded . . .

Of course your problem might be totaly different as mine, but by the looks of it, your IP is online, but request aren't rerouted onto your internal IP's.

Cheers,
Cactus
Old 11th Mar 02, 05:48 AM
MadnessMn

I know that when I had DSL, the issue I had was that the external modem I was using needed a command to open ports. It had something to do with NAT and my Cisco router.
Old 30th Mar 02, 03:43 PM

DJSUB
hi dude,

You can't connect to your ftp server? maybe because of the port settings on your client did not match to your ftp server port. did you check it properly?
Old 30th Mar 02, 05:59 PM

pcservicetech is an unknown quantity at this point
Since we last talked I have found a lot out, when I found out that I cannot send throught MSN IM and IRC File Serving with mIRC. I can send to myself though.
I have not solved this yet, but it does have to do with your router configuration. You have to find out how to access your router through telnet from the command promt or throught a serial connection with Hyperterminal, you will need documentation on your router, and you have to enabled prots and timeouts. It is different for every router and every version of OS on the router usually changes the way things are configured, as is the case with my Cisco.
I hope this points you in the right direction.
Old 14th Apr 02, 06:17 AM

magrute
the modem is pluged by M$N
it seems the only way to update or flash the firmware is on their site via the internet!
when you first get your modum it is sent with a standard
configuration and when you connect for the first time it communicates to their server and it updates your firmware to your credentials then it writes directly to the rom in the modem
which shuts off all your ports except the ones they want you to use,so no direct conections to any ports
but they did a slight upgrade to their firmware and opened up port 61377 and that is the only one accessable,but who knows how long it will last
i guess i will keep my fingers crossed>:|
Old 14th Apr 02, 06:21 AM

magrute
and just another note
because of their walled garden anybody trying to set up a server will not be able to connect to it localy only outside machines can so if you are setting one up on msn network make sure you have somebody outside trying for ya or you will get connection refused every time
cheers