BetaONE will rise again!

Old 4th Feb 05, 11:11 AM
Administrator

robinwilson16 will become famous soon enoughrobinwilson16 will become famous soon enough
Networking a Mac with A Windows PC
I can't seem to access my Windows PC from my Mac although I can access my Mac from my Windows PC.

When I click on network in the Finder and then on the domain, after a few seconds it lists the computer but when I try to connect after tryinging for a while it fails with the error "The alias "NEW-COMPUTER" could not be opened, because the original item cannot be found"

Also when using the connect to server option on the go menu the only way I get any response is to type the actual ip address in the form smb://192.168.1.100 then it comes up asking for my windows user/pass which I then enter but it tells me they are incorrect when in fact they are not.

Any ideas as to why this is not working?
Thanks
Robin

P.S. The windows computer is running Windows Server 2003 and is set up as a domain controller. I can access it from all other computers on the network
Old 18th Feb 05, 04:48 AM
eh!!

Cyberion is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Cyberion Send a message via Yahoo to Cyberion
On OS 10.3, the one I've done it on..

I have the serve (ie Windows XP) be a mounted drive on an iBookg4 by going to network>
then making sure that your drive appears on the list>

(if you have Windows sharing, you macs will be able to see your Mac computers) I've turned this feature off, since the Mac computers are on one LAN segment and the PC's are on another (no need to mix).

I don't have a domain controller here, though it might be useful in the future.

Summary (if I can)
Make sure that personal sharing is on
make sure that windows sharing is on
make sure that your port filters are set correctly or open (can have them open if behind some sort of router/firewall/blocking mechanism.)
Old 20th Feb 05, 09:55 PM
Administrator

robinwilson16 will become famous soon enoughrobinwilson16 will become famous soon enough
Have spent a while on this but the Mac PC won't even show my Windows PC in the network. File sharing is set to on