BetaONE will rise again!

Old 26th Dec 04, 03:45 PM
Administrator

Firefox has disabled reputation
155,000+ Dead; PRAYERS for the Familes of the dead & displaced From 9.0 EQ & Tsunami
Prayers go out to the Vicitms family's

Upgraded 9.0 Earthquake

8.9-magnitude earthquake centered off the west coast of the Indonesian island of Sumatra.

(JAKARTA, Indonesia (AP) - Officials have reported new deaths in Sri Lanka and India, bringing the death toll from massive tidal waves to more than 7,000.%xhl)

JAKARTA, Indonesia (AP) - Officials have reported new deaths in Sri Lanka and India, bringing the death toll from massive tidal waves to more than 7,000.

Code:
http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/ns/news/story.jsp?id=2004122609480001599971&dt=20041226094800&w=APO&coview=

Attached Images
File Type: gif _40665991_indon_quake_map416.gif (17.1 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by DoG : 28th Dec 04 at 01:32 AM.
Old 26th Dec 04, 07:49 PM

RadiationBoy
Send a message via AIM to RadiationBoy Send a message via MSN to RadiationBoy Send a message via Yahoo to RadiationBoy
yeah this definatly huge, been following it all morning. its pretty interesting. its amazing to me how the news covers this so well whith so many pictures of how horrible this is, why can't they do this with the war we're in right now, more people are dieing from that why aren't we talking about how horrible that is?
Old 27th Dec 04, 12:09 AM
M.I.A.

Zone-MR will become famous soon enoughZone-MR will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Zone-MR
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiationBoy
Its amazing to me how the news covers this so well whith so many pictures of how horrible this is, why can't they do this with the war we're in right now, more people are dieing from that why aren't we talking about how horrible that is?
If 11 thousand innocent people died today in Iraq, I'm sure the incident would get it's day or two of fame on CNN. However, the war is an ongoing event, which has been debated 24/7 on many channels, most people consider the subject pretty tired, and it can no longer be considered news.

Today our planet has experienced something which is likely to be the worst natural disaster in 40 years. In one instant, 5 times more people died than in the 2001 terrorist attacks. American fatalities in the Iraq war don't reach 1/10th of the number of deaths caused by todays tsunami. The scale of this in terms of lives lost doesn't even come close to the number of lives lost in Iraq over the last 12 months. I think it deserves slightly more news coverage, don't you?
Old 27th Dec 04, 12:30 AM

KingCobra is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KingCobra
Yes, many prayers to all affected by this sad event.
Old 27th Dec 04, 01:45 AM
Administrator

Update
Asia earthquake death toll more than 12,600

JAKARTA, Dec 27 (Reuters) - More than 12,600 people were

killed by tsunami waves triggered by an 9.0 magnitude

earthquake in southern Asia on Sunday.

These figures are preliminary and in some cases rough

estimates by local officials:

Country Deaths Injured

India 3,300

Indonesia 4,448

Malaysia 41 100

Myanmar 10

Sri Lanka 4,500

Thailand 392 5,000

TOTAL 12,691 5,100

Code:
http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/ns/news/story.jsp?id=2004122619580002697161&dt=20041226195800&w=RTR&coview=
Old 26th Dec 04, 11:19 PM

DopeWeasel can only hope to improve
It appears the Netscape link is down. Here's the in depth from the BBC: hxxp://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/world/2004/asia_quake_disaster/default.stm

Radiationboy, I have only this quote to offer as an answer to your question:

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliment, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for a lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

-- Hermann Goring, from the Nazi Nuremberg Trials

It's unpatriotic, and unamerican to morn the deaths of the Iraqi people, wether it's a soldier or a mother with child... you know they're no better then the Jews. Please note the sarcasm in that sentance.
Old 27th Dec 04, 03:21 AM

DopeWeasel can only hope to improve
Quote:
Zone-MR "most people consider the subject pretty tired, and it can no longer be considered news."
It's a shame that people would simply tire of hearing of the mass slaughter of any people instead of taking action or speaking up on the subject. I am very saddened by what happened in the Indonesian area and yes it does deserve mass media coverage, yet Radiationboy does bring up a good point (albeit subject for another thread)... Where are the mass protests? Where are the Ken Kesey's, Joan Didion's... as a matter of fact, who and where are any of thecounterculture leaders of our time? How did the American people become so desensitized to the crimes of our politicians? And who is praying for the lives of those lost in this war? I went to church here in Houston, TX and was appalled to hear the preacher giving a sermon condemning the French for their non-involvement in the war. It's as though killing people somehow is now sanctioned by the church and everyone in here in America.

So I must post the question... If no one cares when men, women, and children die in Iraq (a preventable set of events), why should anyone care when others die in natural disasters?
Old 27th Dec 04, 04:04 AM

KingCobra is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KingCobra
Quote:
DopeWeasel posted - So I must post the question... If no one cares when men, women, and children die in Iraq (a preventable set of events), why should anyone care when others die in natural disasters?
@DopeWeasel - OFF TOPIC

As much as I understand what you are talking about, you must understand and respect that this is not what this topic/thread is about. If you feel strongly enough, please start a topic of your own.

Thanks in advance

Sincerely,

KC

Edit - Moving this under Team News Section

Last edited by KingCobra : 27th Dec 04 at 04:11 AM.
Old 27th Dec 04, 05:18 AM
BetaONE Supporter

war59312 has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to war59312 Send a message via AIM to war59312 Send a message via MSN to war59312 Send a message via Yahoo to war59312
You know whats really sad?

Is that most Americans really dont give a shit.

Its still christmas for most so we are too damn busy to care.

Shit I did not even hear about till now when I read this post. Its 12:16am and its the next damn day.

But yea that sucks!!

Now Death toll of 13,390 in eight Southeast Asian countries certain to rise.

And oh god just heard on fox news there is another Tsunami to hit east cost.
Counter started: April 2, 2003

Download: http://war59312.admuncher.com/download.shtml

Last edited by war59312 : 27th Dec 04 at 07:04 AM.
Old 27th Dec 04, 04:23 PM
Administrator

Latest Numbers :Tidal Waves Kill 22,000 in Nine Countries

Incredible, 3000 miles away on the Somila coast on the African contient reports of hundred being killed (5,000 KM from the epicenter)

Last edited by Firefox : 27th Dec 04 at 04:26 PM.