BetaONE will rise again!

Old 4th Jan 02, 01:32 PM

LORD_VALEX
I work in a softwarehouse and here we have a good speed, so I would set up an ftp server if possible.

I'm not the admin of the LAN, is there any way to set up the server?? I've tried several way but it didn't work!

If someone can help me, than I can share all I have with all you!!

I've used G6 (Bulletproof 2.15 ) + dns2go, but.....

PS: if it's possible, please help me...and another think, if possible it should be invisible for the administrator of the LAN or at least not to simple to discover and setting down.

Thanks

AND SORRY FOR MY BAD ENGLISH, BUT I'M ITALIAN
Old 4th Jan 02, 01:46 PM
Administrator

JacKDynne will become famous soon enoughJacKDynne will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to JacKDynne
Need some more info -- What network operating system? behind a firewall? public or private ip's? you gonna host the site on your local pc? etc.

Old 4th Jan 02, 02:00 PM

LORD_VALEX
[quote:f65cb2a6c1][i:f65cb2a6c1]Originally posted by JacKDynne [/i:f65cb2a6c1]
[b]Need some more info -- What network operating system? behind a firewall? public or private ip's? you gonna host the site on your local pc? etc. [/quote:f65cb2a6c1]

At moment win95 in a week win2000 (The boss will change my pc), there's a firewall and a proxy, yes Iwant host the site on my local pc!
what do you mean with pubblic or private ip's?? We have a cdn and so the ip is static, do you need any other info??
thanks
Old 4th Jan 02, 02:18 PM
Administrator

JacKDynne will become famous soon enoughJacKDynne will become famous soon enough
I mean is your firewall doing network address translation (NAT). If it is (meaning you have a private ip address, most likely 192.168.x.x) then you will probably have to have access to the firewall's config to map your private ip to a public one. If you don't have access, I don't know if you can run an ftp if the admin has all the ports blocked.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong....

Old 4th Jan 02, 02:37 PM

LORD_VALEX
[quote:d14cc3f20e][i:d14cc3f20e]Originally posted by JacKDynne [/i:d14cc3f20e]
[b]I mean is your firewall doing network address translation (NAT). If it is (meaning you have a private ip address, most likely 192.168.x.x) then you will probably have to have access to the firewall's config to map your private ip to a public one. If you don't have access, I don't know if you can run an ftp if the admin has all the ports blocked.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.... [/quote:d14cc3f20e]

Yes, I have a private ip like you tell me
Infact dns2go conect probabily to the pubblic ip 212......
bulletproof start the server on 192..........

So, what should I do??
I need specific help to do that, i don't know how to access to the firewall's config and map the pubblic one
Old 7th Jan 02, 01:35 PM

LORD_VALEX
Anybody can help me, please??

I belive, that al least somedody have to had tried to set up an ftp Server inside a Lan

bye
thanks
Old 7th Jan 02, 05:16 PM

Shiromagius
Send a message via ICQ to Shiromagius
I dont know what to tell ya. If you are on a company LAN that is behind a firewall, you are going to have some trouble setting up an FTP if your network administrator has taken the precautions to block servers from inside It all basically depends on your network admin and how the firewall is set up and etc.

I dunno about this next one and I wouldnt jump into it until you know it will work (you may get in trouble), maybe someone else can verify this, but do you think if he scanned the ports he may be able to find a "free" one that he could use to host an ftp off of?
Old 7th Jan 02, 06:36 PM
Administrator

Shiromagius,

I think he would have to scan the public ip from the outside to try to find any open holes, but still would run into probs going from the public ip to a private one. I dunno, maybe whoever set up the firewall left a bunch of ports open, but I would say it's unlikely.
I am not sure how he could go about setting up a 'stealth' ftp server that bypasses the firewall without having access to the aforementioned firewall, unless it slips through some other protocol that has inboundoutbound access, but I don't know how to do this
I am not gonna say that it's not possible (almost anything is possible ) but I don't think LORD_VALEX will be able to host as he wants to without getting cooperation from whoever is managing the firewall. (in my humble opinion)

Old 7th Jan 02, 07:17 PM

LORD_VALEX
Infact that's the big problem JacKDynne!

Thanks to all for the replay!
Old 8th Jan 02, 05:48 AM

Shiromagius
Send a message via ICQ to Shiromagius
I hear ya, i am more or less in the same situation behind behind a university's firewall. Oh well, at least we can still upload to other people's servers and still help out.